It is currently Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:16 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Can you be ":Mormon helping hands" without a yellow t-shirt?
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:18 am 
Bishop

If you showed up at the Helping Hands organizing area and did not want to wear a yellow T-shirt would they keep you from helping?

Post subject: Re: Can you be ":Mormon helping hands" without a yellow t-sh
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:39 am 
God

You'd still be allowed to help. You would be put to work distributing yellow shirts.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:20 am 
First Presidency

They'd quietly put you out of sight, doing something away from the media.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:34 pm 
Nursery

canpakes wrote:
You'd still be allowed to help. You would be put to work distributing yellow shirts.

:lol: Too funny.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:31 am 
Nursery

Is like to know if wearing those shirts somehow gives the church a charitable tax write off.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:37 am 
God

reflexzero wrote:
Is like to know if wearing those shirts somehow gives the church a charitable tax write off.

Well, they don’t tot up all those freely given volunteer hours and place a value on them for no reason....

“A reliable way to make people believe in falsehoods is frequent repetition, because familiarity is not easily distinguished from truth. Authoritarian institutions and marketers have always known this fact.”
― Daniel Kahneman, Nobel Prize Winner, 'Thinking, Fast and Slow'

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:15 am 
God

When my son and I helped out with Katrina and Rita, he refused to wear the MHH shirt. He said, "I'm doing this because I want to help, not because I want to be an advertisement for our church." Someone told him that, besides identifying who we were and representing the church, the yellow shirts helped us keep track of who was there doing what. So, he tied the shirt around his head like a headband, and that was apparently good enough.

Don't get me wrong. I am grateful to the Mormon volunteers who have helped my family so much the last couple of weeks. In case you weren't aware, my daughter, her husband, and our 10-month-old granddaughter live in Spring, Texas, one of the hardest hit areas. A few days before the storm, my daughter had surgery on her foot, so my wife flew there to help take care of her and the baby. That Thursday night, my daughter's close friend had her third baby, so the other two very young kids stayed at my daughter's house, and my wife took care of all of them. The new mother went home on Saturday morning, and the water started rising on my daughter's street Sunday morning. Volunteers from their ward came and moved all their furniture upstairs. By 4 pm the water was coming into the house over the window sills, so they were evacuated by kayak. Ironically, the first place they stayed was at the home of her friend with the newborn baby, so my wife was suddenly taking care of two moms and 4 kids.

They ended up with 4 feet of water in their house. The furniture was saved, but the refrigerator, oven, dishwasher, washer/dryer, carpets, floors, drywall, and car were all a total loss. They don't have flood insurance, as 80% of those affected do not, and after paying off their car loan, they netted $400 from the loss of their car.

They weren't able to access the house until Tuesday, when my son-in-law kayaked over. Church members came Thursday after the water had receded and began removing the wet drywall, insulation, flooring, kitchen cabinets, and appliances. The main demolition work is done, but the studs in the home have to dry out before any reconstruction work can begin. I drove down Saturday, arriving Sunday, with my second car, which we gave them so they would have a vehicle. I helped clean the concrete and studs and treat everything with bleach, and then I flew home Monday. Yesterday my wife, my daughter, and my granddaughter arrived. They will stay with us until my daughter is able to use a walking boot, which will probably be 2-3 weeks. My son-in-law stayed in Houston to work and to do what he can on the house. It will require a lot of work and money to make their home livable again.

Anyway, I know I haven't been around much at all, but I figured you might be interested in what's been going on. We have set up a fundraiser to help them with reconstruction expenses. If you want to help, I can give you the link.

If you just talk, I find that your mouth comes out with stuff. -- Karl Pilkington

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:54 am 
God

Runtu wrote:
When my son and I helped out with Katrina and Rita, he refused to wear the MHH shirt. He said, "I'm doing this because I want to help, not because I want to be an advertisement for our church." Someone told him that, besides identifying who we were and representing the church, the yellow shirts helped us keep track of who was there doing what. So, he tied the shirt around his head like a headband, and that was apparently good enough.

Don't get me wrong. I am grateful to the Mormon volunteers who have helped my family so much the last couple of weeks. In case you weren't aware, my daughter, her husband, and our 10-month-old granddaughter live in Spring, Texas, one of the hardest hit areas. A few days before the storm, my daughter had surgery on her foot, so my wife flew there to help take care of her and the baby. That Thursday night, my daughter's close friend had her third baby, so the other two very young kids stayed at my daughter's house, and my wife took care of all of them. The new mother went home on Saturday morning, and the water started rising on my daughter's street Sunday morning. Volunteers from their ward came and moved all their furniture upstairs. By 4 pm the water was coming into the house over the window sills, so they were evacuated by kayak. Ironically, the first place they stayed was at the home of her friend with the newborn baby, so my wife was suddenly taking care of two moms and 4 kids.

They ended up with 4 feet of water in their house. The furniture was saved, but the refrigerator, oven, dishwasher, washer/dryer, carpets, floors, drywall, and car were all a total loss. They don't have flood insurance, as 80% of those affected do not, and after paying off their car loan, they netted $400 from the loss of their car.

They weren't able to access the house until Tuesday, when my son-in-law kayaked over. Church members came Thursday after the water had receded and began removing the wet drywall, insulation, flooring, kitchen cabinets, and appliances. The main demolition work is done, but the studs in the home have to dry out before any reconstruction work can begin. I drove down Saturday, arriving Sunday, with my second car, which we gave them so they would have a vehicle. I helped clean the concrete and studs and treat everything with bleach, and then I flew home Monday. Yesterday my wife, my daughter, and my granddaughter arrived. They will stay with us until my daughter is able to use a walking boot, which will probably be 2-3 weeks. My son-in-law stayed in Houston to work and to do what he can on the house. It will require a lot of work and money to make their home livable again.

Anyway, I know I haven't been around much at all, but I figured you might be interested in what's been going on. We have set up a fundraiser to help them with reconstruction expenses. If you want to help, I can give you the link.

I just volunteered to go help in a few weeks with the clean up in Houston. While I won't be wearing a Yellow shirt, I will be assisting with another organization that does require a common colored shirt as an identification. I've been quite critical of the church in the past on the "other Board" for their orchestrated Yellow Shirts...in my often cynical tone I saw the yellow shirts as a mere PR stunt on the part of the church...and while I still see this as part of the shirts...I've soften my POV. Having the common colored shirt does help identify the groups of otherwise anonymous people as a group that can be trusted in home of those impacted by these hurricanes.

The church's ability to organize is legendary, their ability to organize a mass of help to tackle disaster relief fast without expectation of payment has got to be a true blessing for those affected by these disasters

"...What many people call sin is not sin." - Joseph Smith

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:26 am 
God

Craig Paxton wrote:
Runtu wrote:

I just volunteered to go help in a few weeks with the clean up in Houston. While I won't be wearing a Yellow shirt, I will be assisting with another organization that does require a common colored shirt as an identification. I've been quite critical of the church in the past on the "other Board" for their orchestrated Yellow Shirts...in my often cynical tone I saw the yellow shirts as a mere PR stunt on the part of the church...and while I still see this as part of the shirts...I've soften my POV. Having the common colored shirt does help identify the groups of otherwise anonymous people as a group that can be trusted in home of those impacted by these hurricanes.

The church's ability to organize is legendary, their ability to organize a mass of help to tackle disaster relief fast without expectation of payment has got to be a true blessing for those affected by these disasters

:smile: :smile:

Best wishes to you and your family Runtu.

Regards,
MG

Some people make stuff up. Even here on a board like this. Go figure. What is kind of silly, in a way, is that it would take me so long to figure that out. Maybe I didn't want to think it was true. Maybe I give too much the 'benefit of a doubt' to other people. I guess I should know better.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=45503

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:30 am 
God

Craig Paxton wrote:

That's great. I wish I could have done more than give my car and do a few hours of work, but I know it helped. Thanks in advance for helping out. I was already an apostate when I went with our stake to Louisiana and East Texas. I don't think taking advantage of a service opportunity implies support for a religious belief system.

If you just talk, I find that your mouth comes out with stuff. -- Karl Pilkington

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:32 am 
God

mentalgymnast wrote:
:smile: :smile:

Best wishes to you and your family Runtu.

Regards,
MG

Thank you. Everyone is safe and sound, and I'm enjoying quality time with the grandbaby.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:11 pm 
God

When replying to the DN article on how the Mormons were helping i commented to leave the HH shirts in the boxes inasmuch as Jesus did not have "i am the Messiah " written on his robe- of course the comment was denied as being "critical " - que sera!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:04 am 
God

If you don’t wear the t shirt, you’re just a good Samaritan.

“A reliable way to make people believe in falsehoods is frequent repetition, because familiarity is not easily distinguished from truth. Authoritarian institutions and marketers have always known this fact.”
― Daniel Kahneman, Nobel Prize Winner, 'Thinking, Fast and Slow'