It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:55 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Dave Bednars new book - One By One
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:58 am 
God

Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2015 1:01 am
Posts: 6640
Quote:
Less than a week after a mass shooting on the campus of Virginia Tech University in April 2007, Elder Bednar was assigned to speak at a stake conference in Blacksburg, Virginia, home of Virginia Tech. He was grateful to give "spiritual assurance and succor" to students, faculty members and others affected by the tragedy on that occasion.

"Was it merely a coincidence that a member of the Quorum of the Twelve had been assigned many months earlier to preside at a stake conference in Blacksburg, Virginia, only days after such a horrendous event? Was it a random occurrence that an authorized servant of the Lord was in a place with people who needed blessings, solace, and comfort?" Elder Bednar wrote. "Or was this episode divinely orchestrated by a loving Lord who knew the distress of victims and the unsettledness of a community? I believe that in the work of the Lord there is no such thing as a coincidence. On this occasion, my companion and I were blessed to deliver tender mercies to many individuals — because the worth of souls is great in the sight of God."

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/8656 ... y-One.html
Yes. A coincidence is exactly what it was.

Unless we see a pattern of Q12 assignments being made to Stake Conferences in advance of horrendous events happening in those areas. Is that a pattern we see? Thought not.

And if God saw the event coming many months in advance...

You cannot proclaim the hits but ignore the misses when claiming divine interventions.
Nor can you remain intellectually honest whilst ignoring the wider implications of your claim.

_________________
“A reliable way to make people believe in falsehoods is frequent repetition, because familiarity is not easily distinguished from truth. Authoritarian institutions and marketers have always known this fact.”
― Daniel Kahneman, Nobel Prize Winner, 'Thinking, Fast and Slow'


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Dave Bednars new book - One By One
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:15 am 
Holy Ghost
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:48 pm
Posts: 896
Only remembering the times when prayer works is the essence of religion. Coincidences become miracles. This is the only way that puppet-master God can exist. Without selective memory, random god floods the Houston temple today but spared it in 2016. Puppet-master God cured cancer (with generous aid from doctors and nurses) after much prayer and fasting and priesthood power. But random god lets the father of twin boys die.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Dave Bednars new book - One By One
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:32 am 
The Outcast
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:52 am
Posts: 17060
Location: on the verge
Of course it was E/J/HG intervention in scheduling Bednar's Sunday travels months ahead of the shooting. So much better than E/J/HG having intervened in some way to have prevented the senseless gun slaughter in the first place. And heaven forbid (pun intended) that the rigid bureaucrats (the Brethren) would have their plans changed in the immediate aftermath so that one of these ministers could render 'tender mercies' to people there. If Bednar had been scheduled that weekend to have gone to Alberta, Canada, well then certainly E/J/HG would not have in the day or two right after the shooting in Virginia have inspired the FP/12 to re-assign Bednar to go to Virginia. This 'miracle' depends entirely on the rigidity of the bureaucracy and their Sunday travel plans.

_________________
It is not a matter of the declaration of a policy but of direct commandment from the Lord, on which is founded the doctrine of the Church from the days of its organization, ... that Negroes...are not entitled to the Priesthood at the present time.
LDS First Presidency, 8/17/1949

"without evidence what you say is worthless"-Philo Sofee, 7/16/2017


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Dave Bednars new book - One By One
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:42 am 
Valiant B

Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:13 pm
Posts: 187
Was it merely a coincidence that a member of the Quorum of the Twelve had been assigned many months earlier to preside at a stake conference in Blacksburg, Virginia, only days after such a horrendous event? Was it a random occurrence that an authorized servant of the Lord was in a place with people who needed blessings, solace, and comfort?" Elder Bednar wrote.

He really thinks highly of himself.

Interesting in that, apparently, no Mormons or members of the LDS institute there were directly involved. That's not to downplay what they went through or what the needed, but to claim that God went out of his way several months in advance to schedule Bednar for this purpose, because for some reason professional counseling and local church leadership wouldn't have been enough, while at the same time doing absolutely nothing to prevent the shooting .. Well God's an asshole. More likely, Bednar's the asshole.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/6602 ... -Tech.html


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Dave Bednars new book - One By One
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:54 am 
God
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2007 3:47 pm
Posts: 5220
It is shocking to me how oblivious some church leaders can be to the meaning of their words.

We deserve a better class of apostles.

For the money we pay, I mean.

_________________
You prove yourself of the devil and anti-mormon every word you utter, because only the devil perverts facts to make their case.--ldsfaqs (6-24-13)


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Dave Bednars new book - One By One
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:58 am 
God
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2007 3:47 pm
Posts: 5220
Quote:
The principle and spiritual pattern of serving "One By One" (Deseret Book, $21.99) is the subject and title of Elder Bednar's new book. The 168-page book landed on store bookshelves Sept. 4.

168-pages for $21.99?

What a bargain!

_________________
You prove yourself of the devil and anti-mormon every word you utter, because only the devil perverts facts to make their case.--ldsfaqs (6-24-13)


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Dave Bednars new book - One By One
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:45 am 
Sunbeam
User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2014 3:23 am
Posts: 58
toon wrote:
He really thinks highly of himself.

Mr. I. M. Scripture?? No! :mrgreen:

_________________
http://www.EricHermanMusic.com
-Tunes, Videos and Shows for Kids-
Over 100 million video views!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Dave Bednars new book - One By One
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:32 pm 
God

Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2015 1:01 am
Posts: 6640
consiglieri wrote:
Quote:
The principle and spiritual pattern of serving "One By One" (Deseret Book, $21.99) is the subject and title of Elder Bednar's new book. The 168-page book landed on store bookshelves Sept. 4.

168-pages for $21.99?

What a bargain!

Why is Dave writing a book to sell at 21.99 when delivering its contents to members is something that his calling obligates him to do for free? This should be delivered over the pulpit or through a church magazine or at a devotional etc. He is paid a stipend specifically so he can spend all his time telling members this stuff.

Isn’t there a term for an apostle selling his words for money?

_________________
“A reliable way to make people believe in falsehoods is frequent repetition, because familiarity is not easily distinguished from truth. Authoritarian institutions and marketers have always known this fact.”
― Daniel Kahneman, Nobel Prize Winner, 'Thinking, Fast and Slow'


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Dave Bednars new book - One By One
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:26 pm 
1st Quorum of Seventy

Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:56 pm
Posts: 759
I have a question wrote:
Isn’t there a term for an apostle selling his words for money?

Overpriced.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Dave Bednars new book - One By One
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:29 pm 
God
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:04 am
Posts: 3467
Consiglieri wrote:
Isn’t there a term for an apostle selling his words for money?

A prophet profit

_________________
"Isn't it ironic that a church that depends so much on a fictional book being actual history has done so much to revise, cover up and ignore real history?" - Fence Sitter

"Science believes in accountability here and now. Religion believes in it in the hereafter." - Maksutov


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Dave Bednars new book - One By One
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:41 pm 
Hermit
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2007 10:12 pm
Posts: 7553
Location: Cave
This may be the number one worst thing I've seen reported this year about the church. The presumption is off the charts. Really, really embarrassing and downright bad.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Dave Bednars new book - One By One
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:16 am 
God
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 27, 2006 1:42 pm
Posts: 17933
Location: Koloburbia
toon wrote:
Was it a random occurrence that an authorized servant of the Lord was in a place with people who needed blessings, solace, and comfort?" Elder Bednar wrote.

Maybe the request was real, but central booking screwed up and sent Bednar rather than Uchtdorf for this gig.

_________________
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Dave Bednars new book - One By One
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:15 am 
Stake High Council
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2015 5:27 pm
Posts: 552
Quote:

"Was it merely a coincidence that a member of the Quorum of the Twelve had been assigned many months earlier to preside at a stake conference in Blacksburg, Virginia, only days after such a horrendous event?"

Wonder about God's Great Plan and which Apostle or Prophet was assigned in 1936 or so to go to Germany in 1946 to speak?

_________________
With TheRump in the White House - isn't it time for a Totally Awesome President?


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Dave Bednars new book - One By One
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:18 am 
The Outcast
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:52 am
Posts: 17060
Location: on the verge
Gadianton wrote:
This may be the number one worst thing I've seen reported this year about the church. The presumption is off the charts. Really, really embarrassing and downright bad.

It is very embarrassing. It is bad. But it appears to be a function of Bednar's ego. He felt special that he was the visiting church authority there, that very weekend. Not Uchtdorf. Not Oaks. Not Holland. But Bednar! Bednar obviously concluded that E/J/HG really approves of and likes Bednar, especially to have scheduled him months in advance.

_________________
It is not a matter of the declaration of a policy but of direct commandment from the Lord, on which is founded the doctrine of the Church from the days of its organization, ... that Negroes...are not entitled to the Priesthood at the present time.
LDS First Presidency, 8/17/1949

"without evidence what you say is worthless"-Philo Sofee, 7/16/2017


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Dave Bednars new book - One By One
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:29 am 
God

Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2015 1:01 am
Posts: 6640
sock puppet wrote:
Gadianton wrote:
This may be the number one worst thing I've seen reported this year about the church. The presumption is off the charts. Really, really embarrassing and downright bad.

It is very embarrassing. It is bad. But it appears to be a function of Bednar's ego. He felt special that he was the visiting church authority there, that very weekend. Not Uchtdorf. Not Oaks. Not Holland. But Bednar! Bednar obviously concluded that E/J/HG really approves of and likes Bednar, especially to have scheduled him months in advance.


I was beginning to think Dave was one of the 3 Nephites, but he doesn’t appear to have been scheduled to a place months in advance of an horrendous event, since that one time back in 2007...there have been nearly 150 campus shootings in America since Virginia Tech (or 15 mass shootings in America if you prefer) where was Dave (or his Fantastic Fifteen colleagues) following them?

It’s like God doesn’t need Super Dave anymore...

_________________
“A reliable way to make people believe in falsehoods is frequent repetition, because familiarity is not easily distinguished from truth. Authoritarian institutions and marketers have always known this fact.”
― Daniel Kahneman, Nobel Prize Winner, 'Thinking, Fast and Slow'


Last edited by I have a question on Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:49 am, edited 3 times in total.

Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Dave Bednars new book - One By One
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:32 am 
The Outcast
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:52 am
Posts: 17060
Location: on the verge
With LDS, E/J/HG is not only 'god of the gaps' but also 'god of coincidences'. As science keeps shrinking the gaps, the LDS will likely ascribe more coincidences to god in an effort to preserve some footprint for E/J/HG.

_________________
It is not a matter of the declaration of a policy but of direct commandment from the Lord, on which is founded the doctrine of the Church from the days of its organization, ... that Negroes...are not entitled to the Priesthood at the present time.
LDS First Presidency, 8/17/1949

"without evidence what you say is worthless"-Philo Sofee, 7/16/2017


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Dave Bednars new book - One By One
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:34 am 
God

Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2015 1:01 am
Posts: 6640
It appears that Dave started selling the Bednar Virginia Tech miracle story immediately...

Quote:
Here's where it gets kind of cool.

That Sunday was stake conference for the Pembroke Stake. That covers everyone in this area. I shouldn't have gone to that conference. I was still bleeding and hurting, but I knew that Elder David Bednar was going to be there. We'd all known that for months. So I told Bryan I wanted to go anyway. I could barely walk, but I had to go. I had to hear what he said about this tragedy.

We stepped into the hallway of the stake center, which was packed, but something was different. I looked to my left and there was a super long line. And at the beginning was Elder Bednar. He was shaking everyone's hands. It seemed that everyone needed to touch that apostle. I didn't get a chance, because literally, I had to sit down. But that sight touched me anyway.

Our Stake President spoke first. He told us that his office (he's a professor) was located in the same building where the shootings occurred, and that he was indeed there when it happened. He was locked in his office and a fog came over him to the point that he was kind of dazed. His colleague took off to the floor below to help out because they could clearly hear bullets flying and popping off the concrete walls. His colleague was killed.

I thought it odd that our Stake President didn't go too, but then he told us. "I would have gone, if the Spirit had told me too. Without a doubt." But he said he was literally in a zone that he couldn't shake loose from. As a matter of fact, he was on the phone with an Area authority, finalizing Elder Bednar's travel plans. Our S.P. saw someone jump out of a second story window and crawl across the lawn. It was one of the wounded survivors. But Heavenly Father protected our S.P. by clouding over his mind.

When Elder Bednar got up, he told us that he had visited our campus and that he knew that since the keys of the priesthood had now been on the campus ( I believed he blessed it, too) that we would see a major healing begin. The part I love was this--he told us that his trip had been planned seven months in advance, but that we should see the hand of God. We almost never get a member of the Twelve here for Stake Conference. It's usually an area authority, but not an Apostle. So to have him there, that very week, was a miracle indeed.

http://www.susanauten.com/blog//2010/05 ... -tech.html

_________________
“A reliable way to make people believe in falsehoods is frequent repetition, because familiarity is not easily distinguished from truth. Authoritarian institutions and marketers have always known this fact.”
― Daniel Kahneman, Nobel Prize Winner, 'Thinking, Fast and Slow'


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Dave Bednars new book - One By One
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:01 pm 
Hermit
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2007 10:12 pm
Posts: 7553
Location: Cave
I'm sorry; so the stake president froze on the battlefield to be preserved in part to finalize Bednar's plans for visiting?

By the way, if you look up the book on Desert's site (it's 10% more than at amazon; guess even they have to mark up to cover tithing) everyone gives the typical forced 5 star review except one guy, who gives a conflicted 2 star review. That review says more than any of us could on this thread.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Dave Bednars new book - One By One
PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:23 am 
God

Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2015 1:01 am
Posts: 6640
Gadianton wrote:
I'm sorry; so the stake president froze on the battlefield to be preserved in part to finalize Bednar's plans for visiting?


I know a persons reactions in times of crisis are not guaranteed, and we should be slow to criticise...
But I’m not sure letting your colleague go out into harms way alone, to help your students who you could see were wounded and in need of help, because you froze the Holy Ghost stupified you in order for you to comple Dave’s travel plans, is the thing to portray as ‘miraculous’.
The fact is that this lady blogger, who wasn’t there, can only have heard about this incident because the Stake President told people about it. She’s regurgitating his version of events, because he was the only one there. He is portraying himself as special, whereas most people will see the episode for what it was - a guy freezing into inertia whilst his brave colleague put himself into harms way on behalf of his student.

It is the colleague who willingly gave his life to try and help his students who should be the hero of this story, not the late arriving Dave or the frozen stake president. It is the colleague to whom the Holy Ghost should have given his support, not the guy safely ensconced in his locked office. It is the stake president’s colleague Dave should be writing about and elevating, not his own hand shake super power.

From the Deseret Book reviews:
Quote:
Overall I enjoyed this book. I would not however mark it as one of most favorite texts. The examples provided were thought provoking however at the same time, almost self-glorifying. Granted, the author is an apostle and closer to the Lord than I could ever hope to be, but as I read each story Elder Bednar presented it was obvious how each would end.. I found the references or examples directly from the quoted scripture for me were more powerful and strengthen the idea of "One by One' of the book. I don't really think I would recommend this test to others unless they just really like to read books from Elder Bednar. I did appreciate the chapter topics "Examples of Jesus Christ", "the Book or Mormon", "the Work of the Ministry", and "the Tender Mercies of the Lord", all directed to the topic of One by One. I could see where and how I would apply the concept of "One by One' in my life after reading this text however, there just seemed to be a lot of fluff or filler to help stretch it out to 145 or so pages. I appreciate the opportunity to pre-read the text and submit my review.


Self-Glorifying is a good description of Dave.

_________________
“A reliable way to make people believe in falsehoods is frequent repetition, because familiarity is not easily distinguished from truth. Authoritarian institutions and marketers have always known this fact.”
― Daniel Kahneman, Nobel Prize Winner, 'Thinking, Fast and Slow'


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Dave Bednars new book - One By One
PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:44 am 
God
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:28 pm
Posts: 1804
I have a question wrote:
Quote:
Less than a week after a mass shooting on the campus of Virginia Tech University in April 2007, Elder Bednar was assigned to speak at a stake conference in Blacksburg, Virginia, home of Virginia Tech. He was grateful to give "spiritual assurance and succor" to students, faculty members and others affected by the tragedy on that occasion.

"Was it merely a coincidence that a member of the Quorum of the Twelve had been assigned many months earlier to preside at a stake conference in Blacksburg, Virginia, only days after such a horrendous event? Was it a random occurrence that an authorized servant of the Lord was in a place with people who needed blessings, solace, and comfort?" Elder Bednar wrote. "Or was this episode divinely orchestrated by a loving Lord who knew the distress of victims and the unsettledness of a community? I believe that in the work of the Lord there is no such thing as a coincidence. On this occasion, my companion and I were blessed to deliver tender mercies to many individuals — because the worth of souls is great in the sight of God."

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/8656 ... y-One.html
Yes. A coincidence is exactly what it was.

Unless we see a pattern of Q12 assignments being made to Stake Conferences in advance of horrendous events happening in those areas. Is that a pattern we see? Thought not.

And if God saw the event coming many months in advance...

You cannot proclaim the hits but ignore the misses when claiming divine interventions.
Nor can you remain intellectually honest whilst ignoring the wider implications of your claim.


This claim of the timing of Bednar's schedule coinciding with this tragedy and calling it a miracle is beyond offensive. He's saying that God has a foreknowledge that this tragedy is going to happen so he orchestrates Bednar's schedule so Bednar (of all people) can be in this city within days of this tragedy but this same powerful God with the ability to schedule Bednar to be there at this particular time won't STOP the ____ shooting? Bednar's is a ____ asshole

_________________
"...The official doctrine of the LDS Church is a Global Flood" - BCSpace

"...What many people call sin is not sin." - Joseph Smith

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away" - Phillip K. Dick


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: DrW, Google [Bot], omni, Philo Sofee, Res Ipsa and 46 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Jump to:  
Revival Theme By Brandon Designs By B.Design-Studio © 2007-2008 Brandon
Revival Theme Based off SubLite By Echo © 2007-2008 Echo
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group