It is currently Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:14 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Who Am I to Believe Now?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:17 am 
God

I suspect the reason I read Dr. Peterson is because it is so fascinating to me that I actually used to believe like him and thought his logic was so impeccable and accurate. It is with astonishment now that I see my own myopia as stemming from having fully accepted and read everything the man wrote when he was editor of the FARMS Review. I find much of what he says interesting. I find much of what he says maddeningly frustrating because it is so morbidly self serving and quite frankly just wrong or not well thought out. In a comment on one of his own self-serving articles which is intended to give the impression that he is usually right and no one else is in the world, he says

Quote:
There's no such thing as "my" truth or "your" truth or "their" truth.

There is the truth.

This assumption was, and is, as Dr. Peterson very well knows, entirely false. Einstein proved it. Now I know Dr. Peterson is supposed to be the well read, ever faithful anchor Latter Day Saint that others turn to and fawn over as such an intelligent man who believes, and therefore they assume man if this smart of a cat can believe, then I can too, since it must be true, but I can't possibly agree with his assumption that there is an objective truth outside of perception in our universe. Einstein fundamentally demonstrated it is based on our particular point of view and how fast we are traveling in relation to everyone else. Truth and point of view is relative, not absolute as Dr. Peterson appears to me to claim it to be. Perhaps I misunderstand both Einstein and Peterson, which is why I think he needs to clarify his claim. After all, that's one of his favorite tactics, saying everyone misunderstands what he says.

"Science believes in accountability here and now. Religion believes in it in the hereafter." - Maksutov

Post subject: Re: Who Am I to Believe Now?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:01 am 
The Outcast

DCP wrote:

There is the truth.

That's rich, especially coming from **Tapir** Dan.

It is not a matter of the declaration of a policy but of direct commandment from the Lord, on which is founded the doctrine of the Church from the days of its organization, ... that Negroes...are not entitled to the Priesthood at the present time.
LDS First Presidency, 8/17/1949

"without evidence what you say is worthless"-Philo Sofee, 7/16/2017

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:10 am 
God

I’ve found that Apologists, such as Mr Peterson, cannot define what they mean by “true”.

“A reliable way to make people believe in falsehoods is frequent repetition, because familiarity is not easily distinguished from truth. Authoritarian institutions and marketers have always known this fact.”
― Daniel Kahneman, Nobel Prize Winner, 'Thinking, Fast and Slow'

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:21 am 
The Outcast

Truth is most certainly relative, to the receiver of the message.

Suppose I am in the military and low, low level security information is to be passed to me. The info in this example is the value 5. The sender tells me "10". Is it true to me? The code is that I am to multiple by "10" by 3, and then divide the result by 6. So when "10" is communicated to me, because I know the code, it is interpreted by me to be 5, the value that the sender intended. As the receiver, I understood correctly what was being communicated. That is true for me, a receiver with the code.

But an eavesdropper who hears "10" and does not have the code, gets a false value of "10" when the correct value is 5.

When a parent talks to an infant baby, perhaps mentioning that the parent's favorite author is Faulkner--a truth to the parent, Faulkner is indeed the parent's favorite author--the baby perceives that the parent likes the baby because the parent smiled and had a nice, friendly tone of voice when mentioning Faulkner as the parent's favorite. Indeed, the parent likes the baby, but that was not the truth of what the parent was voicing, which was that Faulkner was the parent's favorite author.

Truth is a function of language. Verbal and numeric symbols for objects, actions and ideas. When strung together into a sentence, for example, it functions to communicate a relationship between certain objects, actions and/or ideas. As a function of language, truth is only present when their has been an accurate communication of objects, actions and/or ideas--or the relationship between certain ones of them.

For "horse" in the Book of Mormon, it is false. If that is the word that appeared above the rock in JSjr's hat, then E/J/HG were not communicating to 19th, 20th and 21st Century readers the animal in Nephite times that the readers understand to be a "horse". The use of the word "horse" in the Book of Mormon is false. If the animal being described was a tapir, then the truth--the true word--was "tapir".

"Tapir" Dan is a smart enough man to know better than all this LDS gibberish and nonsense. His spouting it just makes him look disingenuous if not downright devious and deceptive (which is antithetical to truth).

It is not a matter of the declaration of a policy but of direct commandment from the Lord, on which is founded the doctrine of the Church from the days of its organization, ... that Negroes...are not entitled to the Priesthood at the present time.
LDS First Presidency, 8/17/1949

"without evidence what you say is worthless"-Philo Sofee, 7/16/2017

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:40 am 
First Presidency

sock puppet wrote:
Truth is most certainly relative, to the receiver of the message.

Suppose I am in the military and low, low level security information is to be passed to me. The info in this example is the value 5. The sender tells me "10". Is it true to me? The code is that I am to multiple by "10" by 3, and then divide the result by 6. So when "10" is communicated to me, because I know the code, it is interpreted by me to be 5, the value that the sender intended. As the receiver, I understood correctly what was being communicated. That is true for me, a receiver with the code.

But an eavesdropper who hears "10" and does not have the code, gets a false value of "10" when the correct value is 5.

When a parent talks to an infant baby, perhaps mentioning that the parent's favorite author is Faulkner--a truth to the parent, Faulkner is indeed the parent's favorite author--the baby perceives that the parent likes the baby because the parent smiled and had a nice, friendly tone of voice when mentioning Faulkner as the parent's favorite. Indeed, the parent likes the baby, but that was not the truth of what the parent was voicing, which was that Faulkner was the parent's favorite author.

Truth is a function of language. Verbal and numeric symbols for objects, actions and ideas. When strung together into a sentence, for example, it functions to communicate a relationship between certain objects, actions and/or ideas. As a function of language, truth is only present when their has been an accurate communication of objects, actions and/or ideas--or the relationship between certain ones of them.

For "horse" in the Book of Mormon, it is false. If that is the word that appeared above the rock in JSjr's hat, then E/J/HG were not communicating to 19th, 20th and 21st Century readers the animal in Nephite times that the readers understand to be a "horse". The use of the word "horse" in the Book of Mormon is false. If the animal being described was a tapir, then the truth--the true word--was "tapir".

"Tapir" Dan is a smart enough man to know better than all this LDS gibberish and nonsense. His spouting it just makes him look disingenuous if not downright devious and deceptive (which is antithetical to truth).

I vote for downright devious and deceptive. I was reading FairMormon the other day and came across this passage found here at the bottom of the page: LINK

Quote:
Question: Are gunpowder, pistols or firearms mentioned in the Book of Mormon?
There is no mention of "gunpowder" or firearms, or anything like them, in the Book of Mormon

It is claimed that the Book of Mormon mentions "gunpowder," and "pistols and other firearms," which are clearly anachronisms.

The claim is false. There is no mention of "gunpowder" or firearms, or anything like them, in the Book of Mormon.

Has anyone ever made the obviously false claim that gunpowder, pistols or firearms are mentioned in the book of Mormon? It seems like the claimed anachronism is there for other purposes as it is too idiotic for so called anti-mormons to make. It is obviously false. So, something else must be going on with the unfair folks at Fair. If one remembers the concepts of primacy and recency, people tend to remember the first and last a lot better than the middle. It seems that putting this nonsensical "anachronism" claim at the end had as its purpose to say that "See? Those antis will say anything to throw off God's people from the truth. The other so-called anachronisms must be like this one. Nothing to see. Continue on paying, praying, and obeying."

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:54 am 
God

Quote:

There is the truth.

I dare Peterson to truthfully explain how Anubis in Facsimile No. 3 is a slave. I dare Peterson to logically and rationally attempt to explain Joseph Smith's truths regarding the Explanations of Facsimile No. 3. Do you think Peterson is up to that task? I'm willing to bet he is not. I'm willing to bet he hasn't a clue on how to defend Joseph Smith's truths.

Flush Peterson down the toilet. He's mad.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:28 am 
Founder & Visionary

Philo Sofee wrote:
Quote:

There is the truth.

This assumption was, and is, as Dr. Peterson very well knows, entirely false.

With the greatest of respect, I agree 100% with Dr. Peterson on this one.

Quote:
Einstein proved it.

Einstein proved that our perception of time varied according to our speed relative to the speed of light. He didn't prove that truth itself was relative, since the varying time perceptions between two people traveling at different speeds are calculable.

Besides, I rather doubt Dr. Peterson had Einstein in mind specifically when he (DCP) made that comment.

Quote:
. . . I can't possibly agree with his assumption that there is an objective truth outside of perception in our universe.

Why not? It may indeed be extremely difficult to be 100% certain of how close to objective truth we can get using only our perception; but that doesn't mean objective truth doesn't exist. I for one certainly think it does.

--Doctor CamNC4Me, 03-14-2017

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:32 pm 
God

I think there exist absolute truths. Mathematical proofs for example.

Some of us, on the other hand, actually prefer a religion that includes some type of correlation with reality.
~Bill Hamblin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:47 pm 
God

What is truth? Truth is relative and can only be really defined when it is observed.

If you cannot observe and prove the truth with a collective mindset of facts then truth defined has slipped through your fingers.

For example: Nightlion believes he is a prophet. In his mind he believes it. Therefore, to him, he really is a prophet. But to the rest of us, he is a false prophet. Nightlion observes things in his way and the rest of us observe differently.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:49 pm 
God

SteelHead wrote:
I think there exist absolute truths. Mathematical proofs for example.

That might depend on what universe you're in and what laws are in operation therein. Mathematics in a yonder universe may be a song and a dance. It might even be pure chaos.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:15 pm 
God

That is true. But they are objectively true for this universe.

1 + 1 = 3 for very large values of 1.....

Some of us, on the other hand, actually prefer a religion that includes some type of correlation with reality.
~Bill Hamblin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:45 pm 
Founder & Visionary

Shulem wrote:
What is truth? Truth is relative and can only be really defined when it is observed.

Truth is not relative, otherwise it wouldn't be "truth."

Quote:
For example: Nightlion believes he is a prophet.

That right there is an example of objective truth. Nightlion does, indeed, believe he is a prophet.

--Doctor CamNC4Me, 03-14-2017

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:08 pm 
God

Dr. Shades wrote:
Truth is not relative, otherwise it wouldn't be "truth."

If someone looks at a colored ball through a lens of a different color than the ball while someone else looks at the same ball through a different colored lens, what color is the ball?

What color is the ball for a color blind person who does or doesn't look through a colored lens?

Tell me, do all see the same color? What is color other than part of the light which is white?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:39 pm 
God

What do you mean "Whom am I to believe now?"

Believe yourself, Philo Sofee. Believe what your heart and mind tell you about a thing. And if you find yourself to be wrong, start again.

The journey's the thing, Philo Sofee.

Stay close to the people who feel like sunlight ~ Arsu Shaikh

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:08 pm 
Hermit

Quote:

There is the truth.

It kind of depends on what day it is and who is on his radar that day. He's a big fan of "That Noble Dream".

Here is one reference to the book on his blog:

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/danpeterso ... 25627.html

TND wrote:
All history is present history in the sense that the concerns of the present are bound somehow to affect the way history is studied and written. All history is also personal, since it is impossible to avoid the influence of one’s own opinions and prejudices on the selection and emphasis of one’s historical material

Migdley chimes in making fun of "Truth":

Quote:
This is shocking. The next thing I will discover is that history is a form of autobiography,and hence rests on personal hopes, fears, desires, as well as acquired categories, understandings and explanations. And I thought that history was a science and that it could be folded snugly into the Truth that we should now all be worshiping.

If you want a clearer statement as to what That Noble Dream is trying to say, let FARMS explain it:

http://www.aliveonline.com/ldspapers/introvigne.htm

Quote:
Novick is representative of a whole school of theoretical historiography claiming that "objective truth" for the historian is an objectivistic prejudice, a "noble dream" never to be achieved

Maybe next week you'll be hearing, "There's no such thing as the truth, only "my" truth or "your" truth or "their" truth".