It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:02 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Perks of Church Membership vs. Flood Insurance
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:11 pm 
Savior (resurrected)

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
I thought about cracking a joke about this exchange, but decided against it. You know why? Because you've been to Hell and back my friend. Wiping poop from every crack and crevice is a thankless job and you have paid your penance ten times over. SNIP YOUR DEFERENS MAN.

- Doc

Joke away, man. This is years in the past now, and it's funny. At the same time, what an idiot I was for just adopting the world view of the church uncritically all my life!

The truth is, having four young kids wasn't hell at all to me. What was hell was having this overbearing church in my life telling me I had all of these duties to fix all of these cars for church welfare cases and organize moving parties at the last second and make sure that none of the RS sisters ever had to set up or take down a single chair and oh god the endless meetings on top of having four young kids at home. I had no control and a lot of the "service assignments" just weren't as important as the things I had going on in my own family. Looking back on it, very little of that ____ was important.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:57 pm 
God

moksha wrote:
Yahoo Bot wrote:
what is a perk

It's a benefit. Think of it as receiving unlimited indulgences following a second anointing. Not something for the masses, but only for decorated combat officers in the Heaven War.

A perq is a contraction for perquisite, but a perk is like saying Walla when one wants to say voila.

I guess one could say that perk applies to coffee pots but I think perc would be the better contraction there.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:39 pm 
God

YB,

I don't know how many times you have to step on your dick when you try to be a smart ass, but man oh man you consistently post dumb ____ for someone who, I guess, is a professional. It's just the oddest thing to witness...

- Doc

Quote:
http://grammarist.com/usage/perk-vs-perq/

Perq is an abbreviation of perquisite, which means a benefit, tip or bonus of employment. Though occasionally found in print and in newspaper stories, perq is not found in most dictionaries. The accepted spelling for the abbreviation of perquisite is perk, usually rendered as the plural, perks.

I have Mental Gymnast on ignore until he makes amends with Grindael, and both Grindael and IHAQ start posting again. I will not allow a troll to drive off two great board members without taking a stand.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:58 pm 
Savior (resurrected)

Nothing pleases me more than to see a pedant turn out to be wrong.