OCD may be a by-product of having been Mormon

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_AmyJo
_Emeritus

Post by _AmyJo »

For many of us, whether still active TBM, or ex-members.

With its perfectionistic leanings, its strict code of conduct, dress, what to eat, say, think, etc.

For those born into the cult and grew up with that indoctrination it may be in large part responsible for developing OCD tendencies in its members.

Eating disorders were/are very common among the young female members (I suspect more than society as a whole.) Because of the fixation they have of being perfect in looks and body image. Likewise, church members, especially among women, have perhaps the highest rate of depression of any other group in American society.

OCD can manifest itself in a myriad of ways.

Since I left Mormonism I've become much more comfortable in my own skin. Not as prone to comparing myself to others in terms of performance, looks, or how much is in my bank account, etc.

Another cause that may lead to OCD besides perfectionism in the church, is the loss of power we had over our lives. We gave all our authority to church officials as they dictated nearly every aspect of our lives. It's that loss of self-autonomy that may contribute to destructive patterns of thinking and unhealthy behaviors.

Leaving LDS is just the start of recovery. It can take years to recover from the indoctrination and dogma that was inculcated from early age on.

One big help for me has been to be gentle with myself when it comes to changing my thinking, and behaviors that I identified with as a church member. Without being judgmental of myself as healthier self-talk takes the place of the negative self-shaming the church dumps on its members.

It's been so much easier for me to practice charity since my departure from TSCC. The old Chinese saying, "Reform is like charity and begins at home," could as well say "Reform is like charity, and begins with me."

Learning self-love is paramount in learning how to love others.
_Brackite
_Emeritus

Re: OCD may be a by-product of having been Mormon

Post by _Brackite »

So, the main reason why I have OCD is because I grew up Mormon??
"And I've said it before, you want to know what Joseph Smith looked like in Nauvoo, just look at Trump." - Fence Sitter
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Brackite wrote:So, the main reason why I have OCD is because I grew up Mormon??

I think she's talking about the anxiety that the Saints sometimes live with, Bracki.

I don't know if this is the right thread for this or not, and I've mentioned it previously, my LDS lady friend stress ate like crazy. I don't know if that falls into the category of "eating your feelings" or not, but I'd say that was part of it. She knocked herself out taking care of everyone and their dog, always running at full tilt and trying to keep all the balls in the air and ticking off all the boxes. She didn't take time for herself, for exercise, for her own relaxation. She went balls to the wall probably every day of her life and I'm not exaggerating either.

She died of a massive heart attack. Bracki, she was only 57 years old.

You can say that her upbringing in the church had nothing to do with it. But I think it did, Bracki.
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb
_Dr. Shades
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr. Shades »

Bracki, I think Jersey Girl makes a good point here, Bracki. Bracki, I find it hard to believe that her short-lived friend would've passed away so soon, Bracki, if she hadn't been Mormon, Bracki. Bracki, you can't say that this wasn't learned behavior, Bracki, born from a culture that expected such non-stop service from her, Bracki.
"Finally, for your rather strange idea that miracles are somehow linked to the amount of gay sexual gratification that is taking place would require that primitive Christianity was launched by gay sex, would it not?"

--Louis Midgley
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Dr. Shades wrote:Bracki, I think Jersey Girl makes a good point here, Bracki. Bracki, I find it hard to believe that her short-lived friend would've passed away so soon, Bracki, if she hadn't been Mormon, Bracki. Bracki, you can't say that this wasn't learned behavior, Bracki, born from a culture that expected such non-stop service from her, Bracki.

May I ask why you chose to post in that fashion?
Chinese Proverb
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Because Shades, if you intended to do what I think you intended to do, that's pretty darn irresponsible on your part.
Chinese Proverb
_Dr. Shades
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr. Shades »

Jersey Girl wrote:May I ask why you chose to post in that fashion?

To draw your attention to the fact that you used his name way too many times in one post.

Because Shades, if you intended to do what I think you intended to do, that's pretty darn irresponsible on your part.

Irresponsible to poke a little fun at a harmless mistake?
"Finally, for your rather strange idea that miracles are somehow linked to the amount of gay sexual gratification that is taking place would require that primitive Christianity was launched by gay sex, would it not?"

--Louis Midgley
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Jersey Girl wrote:May I ask why you chose to post in that fashion?

To draw your attention to the fact that you used his name way too many times in one post.

Really. Let me draw your attention to the fact that there exists no rule known to mankind that stipulates how often one is to use another poster's name in a post. I wrote the post how I'd speak to him in person. I addressed him by name 3 times. That makes exactly what difference to you or anyone else?

Let me further point out to you that it looks a whole helluva lot like you were mocking Bracki himself.
Chinese Proverb
_Dr. Shades
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr. Shades »

Jersey Girl wrote:Really. Let me draw your attention to the fact that there exists no rule known to mankind that stipulates how often one is to use another poster's name in a post.

Indeed there isn't.

I wrote the post how I'd speak to him in person.

Even worse.

I addressed him by name 3 times. That makes exactly what difference to you or anyone else?

I addressed him by name 8 times. That makes exactly what difference to you or anyone else?

Let me further point out to you that it looks a whole helluva lot like you were mocking Bracki himself.

How so, when it was clearly a parody of your post?

--Louis Midgley
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Dr. Shades wrote:

How so, when it was clearly a parody of your post?

On account of the fact that that's exactly what it looked like you were doing. That's how. And that's why I asked you why you chose to post in that fashion.
Chinese Proverb