The Remnant knows how to do Church...

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_I have a question
_Emeritus

The Remnant knows how to do Church...

Post by _I have a question »

Boise • Almost 600 people collected at Eagle Island State Park near Boise on Saturday afternoon, their picnic blankets spread on the grass and camping chairs dotted between white plastic seats in rows across the lawn.
Quietly and casually, they made history.
There, under the shade of tall trees and a handful of canvas tents, Remnant movement followers — who advocate a return to the teachings of Mormon founder Joseph Smith — canonized their new scriptures, a reworking of the LDS Church’s signature text, the Book of Mormon, and the Doctrine and Covenants.

http://www.sltrib.com/religion/local/20 ... -offshoot/

The schismatic Remnant group is believed to have some 5,000 to 10,000 followers in the U.S. and several countries — and keeps growing. Insisting that the Salt Lake City-based LDS Church has strayed from Smith’s preachings and practices, these believers meet in small “fellowships” to worship, study, pray, ponder and partake of the sacrament (or communion).
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_zerinus
_Emeritus

Re: The Remnant knows how to do Church...

Post by _zerinus »

I have a question wrote:
Boise • Quietly and casually, they made history.

There, under the shade of tall trees and a handful of canvas tents, Remnant movement followers — who advocate a return to the teachings of Mormon founder Joseph Smith — canonized their new scriptures, a reworking of the LDS Church’s signature text, the Book of Mormon, and the Doctrine and Covenants.

http://www.sltrib.com/religion/local/20 ... -offshoot/
If the LDS Church wanted to "canonize new scripture," they have tons of the stuff they can do it with.
_MsJack
_Emeritus

Post by _MsJack »

According to members of the movement’s scripture committee, “nothing like this has been seen in orthodox or Protestant Christianity in nearly 350 years."

Protestants canonized new Scriptures in 1667?

News to me.
"It seems to me that these women were the head (κεφάλαιον) of the church which was at Philippi." ~ John Chrysostom, Homilies on Philippians 13

My Blogs: Weighted Glory | Worlds Without End: A Mormon Studies Roundtable | Twitter
_GameOver
_Emeritus

Post by _GameOver »

Boise • Remnant movement followers — who advocate a return to the teachings of Mormon founder Joseph Smith ....

You can bet that polygamy is coming, even though Snuffer has previously disavowed the practice.

He's also stated that he is not trying to set himself up as a "Prophet", yet the followers at this convention were required to "covenant" that they will accept Snuffer's words and the words of the new Scriptures to be the Word of the God.

Snuffer has written that the Priesthood was removed from the LDS Church when they excommunicated him. He believes the "Keys" have now been delivered to him alone.

Snuffer is a NUTJOB, and he may very well be a dangerous one. I believe he sees himself as the Davidic Servant, destined to eventually take over the LDS Church.

It's interesting how many of these nut cases the LDS Church has produced over the years. How and why? Because they followed in the footsteps of the necromancer, Joseph Smith, and they started to listen to and believe the voices in their heads.
_sock puppet
_Emeritus

Post by _sock puppet »

GameOver wrote:You can bet that polygamy is coming, even though Snuffer has previously disavowed the practice.

He's also stated that he is not trying to set himself up as a "Prophet", yet the followers at this convention were required to "covenant" that they will accept Snuffer's words and the words of the new Scriptures to be the Word of the God.

Snuffer has written that the Priesthood was removed from the LDS Church when they excommunicated him. He believes the "Keys" have now been delivered to him alone.

Snuffer is a NUTJOB, and he may very well be a dangerous one. I believe he sees himself as the Davidic Servant, destined to eventually take over the LDS Church.
Seems Snuffer is cut from the same cloth as JSjr, then, doesn't he? Just not a fancy Italian wool like that from which Dieter's suits are made. So that leaves Snuffer in the same NUT JOB dust bin with JSjr, and the current LDS FP/12 with the likes of corporate moguls Jeffrey Skilling and Kenneth Lay.
GameOver wrote:It's interesting how many of these nut cases the LDS Church has produced over the years. How and why? Because they followed in the footsteps of the necromancer, Joseph Smith, and they started to listen to and believe the voices in their heads.
Bull's eye!