Ghost of the Gaps

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_sock puppet
_Emeritus

Ghost of the Gaps

Post by _sock puppet »

Yes, I know. Yet another 'gaps' thread...

The thought here is that science has even explained self-induced emotions, and the mechanisms and physiology involved. As a topic of psychology, self-induced emotions finds its roots going back to B F Skinner and beyond, to Pavlov and his dogs. It is behavioralism, specifically conditioning behavior.

Before science got into this gap, it had to be the Holy Ghost that manifested the truth in making you feel good, warm and content after studying out something and then praying earnestly for an answer. It works everytime, just as does a hard day of physical labor followed by a hot shower and then dinner. One is left feeling good, warm and content, just like if the Holy Ghost had manifested a 'truth' to you.

The Holy Ghost has long been the god/magic explanation for why after we give something the 'old college try' long enough, with concerted effort, our mind will sort it all and we then felt content in having figured it out. If I want to quit my job, I can study my options (quit, not quit; if I quit, free time or another job, etc), then pray whether I should quit my job (phrasing it that way because that is the 'answer' that I want). And what do ya know? I feel content with pursuing the course of quitting my job.

Now if I don't want any flack from my wife or others, rather than own up that this is what I alone want and have decided, I can get cover from my family and friends by telling them that I prayed and the Holy Ghost confirmed that I should quit my job. Getting that kind of cover is something that the psychology of self-induced emotions won't provide me. Rather, it means that I have to take personal responsibility for the consequences of the actions I take because I want to take them.
_sock puppet
_Emeritus

Re: Ghost of the Gaps

Post by _sock puppet »

In a sentence: Psychology closed the gap of self-induced emotion that the Holy Ghost used to occupy.
_Dr. Shades
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr. Shades »

sock puppet wrote:As a topic of psychology, self-induced emotions finds its roots going back to B F Skinner and beyond, to Pavlov and his dogs.

When Pavlov heard a bell ring, did he get an overwhelming urge to feed a dog?
"Finally, for your rather strange idea that miracles are somehow linked to the amount of gay sexual gratification that is taking place would require that primitive Christianity was launched by gay sex, would it not?"

--Louis Midgley
_sock puppet
_Emeritus

Post by _sock puppet »

Dr. Shades wrote:
sock puppet wrote:As a topic of psychology, self-induced emotions finds its roots going back to B F Skinner and beyond, to Pavlov and his dogs.

When Pavlov heard a bell ring, did he get an overwhelming urge to feed a dog?

Probably.