I am amazed at how strong the Church in spite of y'all

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Dr Exiled
_Emeritus

Re: I am amazed at how strong the Church in spite of y'all

Post by _Dr Exiled »

Please stay a while viriatu. I love the theater.
"Religion is about providing human community in the guise of solving problems that don’t exist or failing to solve problems that do and seeking to reconcile these contradictions and conceal the failures in bogus explanations otherwise known as theology." - Kishkumen 
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Post by _I have a question »

Viriatu wrote:Anyone who stumbles across this place might get the impression that The LDS Church is dying. Anyone who spends a lot of time here might have the same thought.

Are you going to address any of the data and references put to you?
Answer any of the reasonable questions asked of you?
Provide any objective evidence of your own?

Or just carry on trolling?
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_Philo Sofee
_Emeritus

Post by _Philo Sofee »

IHAQ
Are you going to address any of the data and references put to you?
Answer any of the reasonable questions asked of you?
Provide any objective evidence of your own?

Whoa. you are asking an awful lot of a Mormon believer aren't you? :wink:
Dr CamNC4Me
"Dr. Peterson and his Callithumpian cabal of BYU idiots have been marginalized by their own inevitable irrelevancy defending a fraud."
_Themis
_Emeritus

Post by _Themis »

Viriatu wrote:Anyone who stumbles across this place might get the impression that The LDS Church is dying. Anyone who spends a lot of time here might have the same thought.

Sure they might get the impression the church is dying, but what have you said here that would do anything to suggest differently? I am not saying the church is dying, but you didn't do anything more then state your belief the church is doing fine. Vague statements of belief like this do little to inspire anyone.
_toon
_Emeritus

Post by _toon »

Viriatu wrote:I am sitting in Stake Priesthood Leadership meeting right now and am struck by how strong the Church is. The Spirit is strong in this meeting and we who are here are being lifted and inspired.

Must have been a damn boring meeting if you felt the need to surf and then post on some heretical internet forum rather than pay attention. Some third member of the godheard that can't hold your attention. You need to repent of your apostate ways.
_mentalgymnast
_Emeritus

Post by _mentalgymnast »

Craig Paxton wrote:

Haha you are living in a make believe alternative universe...the Mormon church claims 15.8 million members but has less than 1/3 of that number who actually participate in the church. Please show me any organization where 2/3s of its membership have walked away that can claim to be strong? You're refusing to acknowledge reality and living in la la land. The church can't even keep its coverts, 80% leave within a year of baptism dude your church is on life support and in denial

At this point it may well be well to consider that Jesus himself taught that strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.

Even after they may have at one time entered through the gate.

Regards,
MG
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Post by _I have a question »

Deleted.
Last edited by Guest on Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_Lemmie
_Emeritus

Post by _Lemmie »

mentalgymnast wrote:
At this point it may well be well to consider that Jesus himself taught that strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.

Regards,
MG

Why? What does that have to do with the concepts being discussed?
_SuperDell
_Emeritus

Post by _SuperDell »

Nazism and Communism were strong for a long time as well.
“Those who never retract their opinions love themselves more than they love truth.”
― Joseph Joubert
_Philo Sofee
_Emeritus

Post by _Philo Sofee »

MG

Meh. He was just speaking as a man. Everyone has their own opinions.
Dr CamNC4Me
"Dr. Peterson and his Callithumpian cabal of BYU idiots have been marginalized by their own inevitable irrelevancy defending a fraud."