Three Cheers for Louis Midgley!

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_aussieguy55
_Emeritus

Re: Three Cheers for Louis Midgley!

Post by _aussieguy55 »

Deacon I have experienced the same acid tongue from him.

See also-
https://dialoguejournal.com/wp-content/ ... rticles/... • PDF file

https://publications.mi.byu.edu/publica ... idgely.pdf
Hilary Clinton " I won the places that represent two-thirds of America's GDP.I won in places are optimistic diverse, dynamic, moving forward"
_Markk
_Emeritus

Post by _Markk »

Dr. Shades wrote:I'm happy that there's finally a message board out there that gives the apologists their proper praise for the good things they have done.

Then let me take the negative, and bring this board back down to the gutter where it belongs...I remember he asked me personally if the reason I was doubting the church and it's teachings..."was because of the beer." And he said he shared a letter I wrote to FARMs asking questions, with one of their classes, and that they got a good laugh at my expense. He is a tool.
Don't take life so seriously in that " sooner or later we are just old men in funny clothes" "Tom 'T-Bone' Wolk"
_Philo Sofee
_Emeritus

Post by _Philo Sofee »

Markk
Then let me take the negative, and bring this board back down to the gutter where it belongs...I remember he asked me personally if the reason I was doubting the church and it's teachings..."was because of the beer." And he said he shared a letter I wrote to FARMs asking questions, with one of their classes, and that they got a good laugh at my expense. He is a tool.

It's incredibly ironic that alcohol in moderation is actually a health benefit, a benefit apologists, of course, will never acknowledge. I was told when they forced me off the other message board of fast and holy testimony meeting several years ago, that they eviscerated me and I couldn't respond. The frickin coward chickenshits. Ridicule is their Holy Ghost testifying their celestial standard of mockery is acceptable to their slaver God of the Old Testament who is now their Jesus. They are blessed for defending all the while disallowing the defense of those they mock from their own great and spacious building. And of course, THAT building for them is the temple, whilst the responses are their view of the Book of Mormon great and spacious building, and thus they justify their mockery against others who actually live differently and think differently than they do. The hypocrisy is staggering. It's WHY they are called out. They continue to imagine they are totally superior spiritually, intellectually, and physically to the rest of the world. When they dish it they receive the Holy Ghost, when they receive back in kind it appalls them, the poor boobs. Someday perhaps they will grasp why the world mocks their arguments. I won't hold my breath. If they want respect then they by damn have to earn it from now on. No more free emulation and praise unless they actually have strong and consistent theology. If they don't like it, they need to shut up with their silly preaching and imagined scholarship.
Dr CamNC4Me
"Dr. Peterson and his Callithumpian cabal of BYU idiots have been marginalized by their own inevitable irrelevancy defending a fraud."
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_Gadianton
_Emeritus

Post by _Gadianton »

And the weird thing is the Interpreter has resorted back to the tripe (Boyce for example) that Midgley made mince meat of lo those many years ago!

Right, but people are talking about this like it's a new discovery. Do we forget so easily?

http://www.mormoninformation.com/imvscm.htm

-Chapel Mormons will typically try and bend science to fit the prophets. Internet Mormons typically try to bend the prophets to fit science.
-When the apologists contradict the prophets, Chapel Mormons almost always go with the prophets, while Internet Mormons almost always go with the apologists.
-When discussing the words of the prophets, Chapel Mormons almost never say "it was only his opinion," believing that a prophet's words and God's words are essentially one and the same. Internet Mormons, on the other hand, very often say "it was only his opinion."
-Chapel Mormons tend to take a prophet's words at face value. Internet Mormons often "filter" a prophet's words through both his local cultural influences and his limited sphere of knowledge.
-Chapel Mormons believe that a prophet is a foreordained man of the highest moral caliber. Internet Mormons believe that a prophet is not necessarily any better than his societal average.

Post-Mopologetic prophetic orthodoxy currently headed by Boyce is a backlash against the New MI. A veil of forgetfulness has fallen upon just about everyone.
Lou Midgley 08/20/2020: "...meat wad," and "cockroach" are pithy descriptions of human beings used by gemli? They were not fashioned by Professor Peterson.

LM 11/23/2018: one can explain away the soul of human beings...as...a Meat Unit, to use Professor Peterson's clever derogatory description of gemli's ideology.
_Gadianton
_Emeritus

Post by _Gadianton »

http://www.jefflindsay.com/fallible.shtml

This is exactly what Boyce is talking about, published in 2004. Givens didn't invent this stuff.
Lou Midgley 08/20/2020: "...meat wad," and "cockroach" are pithy descriptions of human beings used by gemli? They were not fashioned by Professor Peterson.

LM 11/23/2018: one can explain away the soul of human beings...as...a Meat Unit, to use Professor Peterson's clever derogatory description of gemli's ideology.
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

It's a hard turn back to the chapel now that there is an uptick in schisms on the extreme right.
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_deacon blues
_Emeritus

Post by _deacon blues »

Philo Sofee wrote:
Markk

It's incredibly ironic that alcohol in moderation is actually a health benefit, a benefit apologists, of course, will never acknowledge. I was told when they forced me off the other message board of fast and holy testimony meeting several years ago, that they eviscerated me and I couldn't respond. The frickin coward ____. Ridicule is their Holy Ghost testifying their celestial standard of mockery is acceptable to their slaver God of the Old Testament who is now their Jesus. They are blessed for defending all the while disallowing the defense of those they mock from their own great and spacious building. And of course, THAT building for them is the temple, whilst the responses are their view of the Book of Mormon great and spacious building, and thus they justify their mockery against others who actually live differently and think differently than they do. The hypocrisy is staggering. It's WHY they are called out. They continue to imagine they are totally superior spiritually, intellectually, and physically to the rest of the world. When they dish it they receive the Holy Ghost, when they receive back in kind it appalls them, the poor boobs. Someday perhaps they will grasp why the world mocks their arguments. I won't hold my breath. If they want respect then they by damn have to earn it from now on. No more free emulation and praise unless they actually have strong and consistent theology. If they don't like it, they need to shut up with their silly preaching and imagined scholarship.

It is ironic that the some of the greatest and most spacious buildings are temples. As far as mocking go, I'm reminded of Emerson saying "every man is my superior in some way, and in that I learn from him." What a great attitude for learning.
_Fence Sitter
_Emeritus

Post by _Fence Sitter »

deacon blues wrote:
It is ironic that the some of the greatest and most spacious buildings are temples. As far as mocking go, I'm reminded of Emerson saying "every man is my superior in some way, and in that I learn from him." What a great attitude for learning.

Every time my wife watches conference, I can't help thinking how much the conference center looks exactly like a great and spacious building.
"Any over-ritualized religion since the dawn of time can make its priests say yes, we know, it is rotten, and hard luck, but just do as we say, keep at the ritual, stick it out, give us your money and you'll end up with the angels in heaven for evermore."
_Markk
_Emeritus

Post by _Markk »

Philo Sofee wrote:
Markk

It's incredibly ironic that alcohol in moderation is actually a health benefit, a benefit apologists, of course, will never acknowledge. I was told when they forced me off the other message board of fast and holy testimony meeting several years ago, that they eviscerated me and I couldn't respond. The frickin coward ____. Ridicule is their Holy Ghost testifying their celestial standard of mockery is acceptable to their slaver God of the Old Testament who is now their Jesus. They are blessed for defending all the while disallowing the defense of those they mock from their own great and spacious building. And of course, THAT building for them is the temple, whilst the responses are their view of the Book of Mormon great and spacious building, and thus they justify their mockery against others who actually live differently and think differently than they do. The hypocrisy is staggering. It's WHY they are called out. They continue to imagine they are totally superior spiritually, intellectually, and physically to the rest of the world. When they dish it they receive the Holy Ghost, when they receive back in kind it appalls them, the poor boobs. Someday perhaps they will grasp why the world mocks their arguments. I won't hold my breath. If they want respect then they by damn have to earn it from now on. No more free emulation and praise unless they actually have strong and consistent theology. If they don't like it, they need to shut up with their silly preaching and imagined scholarship.

Another way to put it is their ridicule is fuel for their testimony...it allows it to exist and stay healthy, even if only in their minds.
Don't take life so seriously in that " sooner or later we are just old men in funny clothes" "Tom 'T-Bone' Wolk"