Old Testament prophecy of death of Joseph Smith?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Old Testament prophecy of death of Joseph Smith?

Post by _Maksutov »

If there arise among you a prophet, or a dreamer of dreams, and giveth thee a sign or a wonder, And the sign or the wonder come to pass, whereof he spake unto thee, saying, Let us go after other gods, which thou hast not known, and let us serve them; Thou shalt not hearken unto the words of that prophet, or that dreamer of dreams: for the LORD your God proveth you, to know whether ye love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul. Ye shall walk after the LORD your God, and fear him, and keep his commandments, and obey his voice, and ye shall serve him, and cleave unto him. And that prophet, or that dreamer of dreams, shall be put to death; because he hath spoken to turn you away from the LORD your God, which brought you out of the land of Egypt, and redeemed you out of the house of bondage, to thrust thee out of the way which the LORD thy God commanded thee to walk in. So shalt thou put the evil away from the midst of thee.

If thy brother, the son of thy mother, or thy son, or thy daughter, or the wife of thy bosom, or thy friend, which is as thine own soul, entice thee secretly, saying, Let us go and serve other gods, which thou hast not known, thou, nor thy fathers; Namely, of the gods of the people which are round about you, nigh unto thee, or far off from thee, from the one end of the earth even unto the other end of the earth; Thou shalt not consent unto him, nor hearken unto him; neither shall thine eye pity him, neither shalt thou spare, neither shalt thou conceal him: But thou shalt surely kill him; thine hand shall be first upon him to put him to death, and afterwards the hand of all the people. And thou shalt stone him with stones, that he die; because he hath sought to thrust thee away from the LORD thy God, which brought thee out of the land of Egypt, from the house of bondage. And all Israel shall hear, and fear, and shall do no more any such wickedness as this is among you.

Deuteronomy 13

Don't know if Joseph's corpse might have been stoned. But it might be an approximation of an unknown future technology...the old Hebrews didn't have a word for "bullets", I suppose.
"God" is the original deus ex machina. --Maksutov
_deacon blues
_Emeritus

Re: Old Testament prophecy of death of Joseph Smith?

Post by _deacon blues »

I hope today's society has moved past demanding death for those who promote "other gods." The murder of Joseph Smith shows that even if law allows a particular freedom, a society may rise up and usurp the law for reasons of their own. I feel grateful that Deuteronomy is not the law today. Hopefully, it will never be again.
_Nightlion
_Emeritus

Post by _Nightlion »

To encourage atheism would qualify the same......right?
The Apocalrock Manifesto and Wonders of Eternity: New Mormon Theology
https://www.docdroid.net/KDt8RNP/the-apocalrock-manifesto.pdf
https://www.docdroid.net/IEJ3KJh/wonders-of-eternity-2009.pdf
My YouTube videos:HERE
_Dr. Shades
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr. Shades »

Nightlion wrote:To encourage atheism would qualify the same......right?

No, because "atheism" isn't a god.
"Finally, for your rather strange idea that miracles are somehow linked to the amount of gay sexual gratification that is taking place would require that primitive Christianity was launched by gay sex, would it not?"

--Louis Midgley
_Nightlion
_Emeritus

Post by _Nightlion »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Nightlion wrote:To encourage atheism would qualify the same......right?

No, because "atheism" isn't a god.

To follow nothing is still taking people away from the one true God.
_deacon blues
_Emeritus

Post by _deacon blues »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Maksutov's original point seems to be, those who profess to be prophets should, according to Deuteronomy, face capital punishment, which, sadly, lead to the deaths of Jesus Christ, Joseph Smith, and many others. Night Lion, are you suggesting atheists face that same fate? Am I misunderstanding you?
_Nightlion
_Emeritus

Post by _Nightlion »

deacon blues wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but Maksutov's original point seems to be, those who profess to be prophets should, according to Deuteronomy, face capital punishment, which, sadly, lead to the deaths of Jesus Christ, Joseph Smith, and many others. Night Lion, are you suggesting atheists face that same fate? Am I misunderstanding you?

The revelation even condemns those of your own household, you wife, sons and daughters. ANYONE among the chosen people who persuade against the one true God was to be put down.

Not every damn atheist in the world.

We do not have today a People of God. There is no Zion. If there were it would just be those within that Zion who get up in the face of the faithful and attempt to persuade them forsake the one true God. If the old law is commanded in the New Zion. Can't say about that. Not yet. Need a Zion first. Then see what the Lord has to say.