Where does this now leave Kim B. Clark?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Where does this now leave Kim B. Clark?

Post by _I have a question »

We just had a fiery devotional by Elder Kim B. Clark which really just summed up everything that I’ve learned here in the MTC. Basically, Obedience, Work hard, Keep the Spirit with You, and Love the People. Still working on 2 out of the 4, but hey, I’m working on them. Two things that I really liked in his address were as follows (1) The account of Enoch in the Book of Moses, especially how he phrased it “The Lord will justify your words.” He did it with 65 year old “but a lad” Enoch, who was slow of speech, but through the power and language that God gave him, he shook the earth and moved mountains and rivers from their courses, and he will do it with you. (2) He told this amazing (true) story, of how the Lord knows each of us, and needs us all uniquely. The basic gist of it is:
“This guy was raised in a strong Mormon home, but rebelled and joined the Hell’s Angels for 20 years. One day he woke up in New York, and had no idea how he got there. So he drove back to California, to one of the houses that the Hells Angels own, to dry out. He was there on the porch one day, and saw some Mormon missionaries walking down the road. He wasn’t worried that they would come to this house, because of the huge, trained to kill Dobermans chained next to the Gate, so he was mocking them quietly. At the end of the street, the Missionaries stopped, talked to each other, and came walking back towards the house. They stopped in front of the Gate, and the Dogs rushed at them at the ends of their chains, snapping and snarling. Then the dogs stopped barking, went back to their posts, and fell asleep. The Missionaries then entered, walked up to the Biker, and said “Hey! How you doin’?”
This caught the man off guard.
The one missionary asked him where he was from, and the guy answered “Pocahtello Idaho”
The missionary squinted at him, and asked “do you know the So-and-so’s?”
The man said “Yeah, they’re my parents.”
The Missionary said. “They’re my parents too.”
YEAH. That was a crazy moment in the MTC. I audibly gasped. Chills. Elder Clark knows this is a true story, because he told that talk in a stake in Idaho, and someone came up to him, and told him that the Biker guy was just sealed to his wife in the temple. Dang. I mean, I knew God knew everybody, but that’s some Joseph in Egypt stuff right now.

https://stareshinagee.wordpress.com/201 ... s-at-hand/

Let's hear from Clark...
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_deacon blues
_Emeritus

Re: Where does this now leave Kim B. Clark?

Post by _deacon blues »

I'm reminded about the story of the little girl who spread a rumor that she later discovered was untrue. She asked her mother, "How can I make things right?" her mother said, "take a pillow full of feathers, tear it open, and shake it out in the wind. Then go retrieve every feather." The little girl said, "I can't get every feather, the wind has spread them too far." then her mother said...........
_SteelHead
_Emeritus

Post by _SteelHead »

Somebody needs to take this elder's reaction as blogged over to the mad house and ask what it means about the reliability of the hg. Spin will ensue. Crazy spin.

Well the story can be false if it leads us to the truth.

Somebody should also ask what the whole incident means regarding the gift of discernment as possessed by these apostles.

More spin.
It is better to be a warrior in a garden, than a gardener at war.

Some of us, on the other hand, actually prefer a religion that includes some type of correlation with reality.
~Bill Hamblin
_Red Ryder
_Emeritus

Post by _Red Ryder »

According to another blog, the repented sin free Hell's Angel guy was in the Stake Presidency with Clark.

http://hermanaalisonknight.blogspot.com/2015/11/one-month-down-17-to-go.html?m=1

hermana alison knight wrote:Before I go I want to tell an amazing story we were told at the devotional last night by Kim. B Clark of The Seventy. He said there was this man who grew up in Idaho Falls in a faithful Mormon family, who ran away from home when he was 14 and went down a dark path of life. He joined the Hell's angels and got heavily into drugs and alcohol. One day he was passed out in the front yard of the home the Hell's Angels have in L.A California (a place to dry out if you are too wasted to drive), and some Mormon missionaries came walking up their street. He started mocking them, because he used to be Mormon and thought these elders were so naïve. They had two dogs in the yard that were trained to attack and kill anyone who tried to come into the yard, so he wasn't too worried about them trying to preach to him when they walked by. But then when they got to the end of the street, they talked for a minute and turned around and came back to the Hell's Angels house. The dogs started growling and acting like they were going to attack. But as soon as the Elders stepped foot on their sidewalk, the dogs walked away and laid down and went to sleep. Then one of the elders came up to the wasted man from Idaho, and said, "What's up?" The man said, “Oh, nothing,” and then the elder asked, "Where are you from?" and he said "Idaho Falls." Then the elder said, "No way! Me too! Do you happen to know the So-and-sos?" And then the wasted man said, "Yeah, they're my parents." Then the elder said something that changed both of their lives. "They're my parents, too."

It was the Hell's Angel's younger brother, all grown up and called to serve a mission in California. The elder said to his older brother he never knew what happened to him, but that he knows that God sent him there to bring him home. He ended up helping his brother turn his life around, go back to church, find Jesus again, move back home to Idaho, and reconnect with their parents. He ended up getting married in the temple five years later. The Hell's Angel ended up being in the Stake Presidency (local church leadership) with Kim B. Clark, which is where he learned the story from.
_cinepro
_Emeritus

Post by _cinepro »

Red Ryder wrote:According to another blog, the repented sin free Hell's Angel guy was in the Stake Presidency with Clark.

Kim B. Clark was never in a Stake Presidency. He was in a Stake Mission Presidency though..?

https://www.lds.org/church/news/new-sev ... r?lang=eng

I'm guessing he'll never be in the Q12 either.
_Madison54
_Emeritus

Post by _Madison54 »

cinepro wrote:
Red Ryder wrote:According to another blog, the repented sin free Hell's Angel guy was in the Stake Presidency with Clark.

Kim B. Clark was never in a Stake Presidency. He was in a Stake Mission Presidency though..?

https://www.LDS.org/church/news/new-sev ... r?lang=eng

I'm guessing he'll never be in the Q12 either.

Not after this fiasco :lol:

Holland almost certainly got this story from him and trusted that it was the truth. But where was his discernment? Most of us knew it was BS the minute we read it!!!
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Post by _I have a question »

Madison54 wrote:Holland almost certainly got this story from him and trusted that it was the truth. But where was his discernment? Most of us knew it was BS the minute we read it!!!

This is an interesting point.
On first reading it's unbelievable. From there readers fall into two groups - those who use critical thinking skills, and those who have a vested interest in it being true. Most people on here used their critical thinking skills and were sceptical and sought clarification of the key facts to verify the story. Those with a vested interest in it being true, doubted their doubts and swallowed it whole.

Holland was obviously in the second group. And that should worry a whole lot of people.

It also shows the inherent danger (stupidity?) of following Uchtdorfs "first doubt your doubts" mantra.
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')