"this earth during the seven thousand years of its conti..."

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_deacon blues
_Emeritus

"this earth during the seven thousand years of its conti..."

Post by _deacon blues »

One of the things that shows Joseph Smith's limitations is his reliance on interpreting the Bible too literally. D&C 77 tells us that the earth has a temporal existence of 7,000 years.I believe this derives from Joseph, taking literally, numbers that were at best figurative. Remember, the Bible was written before our current decimal system was created. Maybe (I'm no scholar) a thousand years was just the biggest, or one of the biggest numbers, the writers of the Bible could conceive of. Like my title, which was cut short by a technical limitation of this board, the ancient writers, and Joseph, who was inspired by them, are limited by the technical limitations of ancient numerical systems. "Ooooo, and it makes me wonder........"
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Re: "this earth during the seven thousand years of its conti

Post by _Shulem »

Joseph Smith adopted the Genesis chronology for his own and incorporated myth into literal LDS doctrine. That was a fatal mistake. The Genesis chronology as supported by the D&C and Book of Moses was proven false long before it was even written. Moses, the founder of a new cult was dead wrong in taking myth and writing it into his own storyline. Joseph Smith was wrong to follow Moses.

The ancient Egyptian history which occurred long before Moses has proven conclusively that humanity has been around far longer. The predynastic and dynastic periods of ancient Egypt bear that out. We have the records. We have the kings lists. We have the dating.

It seems that the Egyptians are the true victor, not Moses.
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Post by _Shulem »

Moses and science don't mix. Moses was on a caveman level telling stories based on myth and cult doctrine of his times. The man knew jack about the evolution of the planet and human beings. He didn't even know about dinosaurs! The book of Genesis creation account is on the same level as Santa Clause and the Easter bunny. It's false and completely made up.

The story of Adam and Eve? Give me a break. Mormons really are like little children believing that nonsense. Time to grow up! Face reality. Joseph Smith was a dodo.
_bcuzbcuz
_Emeritus

Post by _bcuzbcuz »

Shulem wrote:Moses and science don't mix. Moses was on a caveman level telling stories based on myth and cult doctrine of his times. The man knew jack about the evolution of the planet and human beings. He didn't even know about dinosaurs! The book of Genesis creation account is on the same level as Santa Clause and the Easter bunny. It's false and completely made up.

The story of Adam and Eve? Give me a break. Mormons really are like little children believing that nonsense. Time to grow up! Face reality. Joseph Smith was a dodo.

I say we find the bastards who invented Santa Claus and the Easter bunny and string them up!
And in the end, the love you take, is equal to the love...you make. PMcC
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

While the Hebrew numbering system used 27 letters, the Reformed Egyptian system was decimal based. Joseph Smith saw that when he was calculating the age of the Earth.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

moksha wrote:While the Hebrew numbering system used 27 letters, the Reformed Egyptian system was decimal based. Joseph Smith saw that when he was calculating the age of the Earth.

Scott Lloyd could explain this in more detail.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace