LDS Branch Presidency member sells secrets to the Chinese.

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_I have a question
_Emeritus

LDS Branch Presidency member sells secrets to the Chinese.

Post by _I have a question »

PROVO — A BYU graduate who is a former CIA officer sold secret documents to Chinese intelligence officials, according to charges filed this week in federal court.

Kevin Patrick Mallory, 60, of Leesburg, Virginia, was arrested Thursday on counts of delivering defense information to aid a foreign government and making false statements. The maximum punishment for the first count is life in prison or the death penalty.

At the time of his arrest, Mallory, who speaks fluent Mandarin Chinese, was serving as first counselor in the branch presidency of the Chinese-language Twin Lakes Branch of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in Centreville, Virginia. A branch is a Mormon term for a small congregation.

"The conduct alleged in this complaint is serious, and these charges should send a message to anyone who would consider violating the public’s trust and compromising our national security by disclosing classified information," said Dana J. Boente, acting assistant attorney general for National Security, in a Department of Justice news release.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/8656 ... China.html
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_Chap
_Emeritus

Re: LDS Branch Presidency member sells secrets to the Chines

Post by _Chap »

No doubt people will soon be telling us what a truly good man he is.
Zadok:
I did not have a faith crisis. I discovered that the Church was having a truth crisis.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

He's going to be ok. He's not a Gay 12-year-old who outed himself at Church.

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_Choyo Chagas
_Emeritus

Post by _Choyo Chagas »

Chap wrote:No doubt people will soon be telling us what a truly good man he is.

like john bruce jessen was...

#407 of '750 Hungarian proverbs' wrote:A mi kutyánk kölyke.
He is the kid of our dog.
'A child of somebody related to the speaker, who was granted - or will be granted - preferential treatment at the expense of outsiders.'
Choyo Chagas is Chairman of the Big Four, the ruler of the planet from "The Bull's Hour" ( Russian: Час Быка), a social science fiction novel written by Soviet author and paleontologist Ivan Yefremov in 1968.
Six months after its publication Soviet authorities banned the book and attempted to remove it from libraries and bookshops.
_Jonah
_Emeritus

Post by _Jonah »

"You can buy anything in this world for money."
Red flags look normal when you're wearing rose colored glasses.
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

Most likely he would have donated 10% of this espionage money to tithing.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_Choyo Chagas
_Emeritus

Post by _Choyo Chagas »

moksha wrote:

Most likely he would have donated 10% of this espionage money to tithing.

based on gross, or net after taxation?

what does say the handbook? no item for treason?
as far as i know, temple presidents should not vaunt with anything about incoming to the government of their station...
Choyo Chagas is Chairman of the Big Four, the ruler of the planet from "The Bull's Hour" ( Russian: Час Быка), a social science fiction novel written by Soviet author and paleontologist Ivan Yefremov in 1968.
Six months after its publication Soviet authorities banned the book and attempted to remove it from libraries and bookshops.