When apologetics go off the "translated as" rails

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_SteelHead
_Emeritus

When apologetics go off the "translated as" rails

Post by _SteelHead »

http://www.mormondialogue.org/topic/691 ... of-mormon/

Was reading a bit in the above thread and noticed that one of the solutions to the bow anachronisms in the Book of Mormon is another one of these perhaps it was mis translated and the correct word was atlatl. A fine piece of mental gymnastics that falls flat on its face given that the Book of Mormon talks about the bows loosing their spring.

1 Nephi 16
21 Now it came to pass that I, Nephi, having been afflicted with my brethren because of the loss of my bow, and their bows having lost their springs, it began to be exceedingly difficult, yea, insomuch that we could obtain no food.

An idea that makes 0 sense when referencing atlatl. The amount of the narrative these folks are willing to toss out in order to align their mythology with history is astounding.

Eta
In thinking about it, perhaps it is being suggested that Nephi and Co had bows, but at some point the technology was lost and later uses of the word reference atlatl. This would be another item in a list of unprecedented technology losses; wheels, steel making, swords, etc.
It is better to be a warrior in a garden, than a gardener at war.

Some of us, on the other hand, actually prefer a religion that includes some type of correlation with reality.
~Bill Hamblin
_Philo Sofee
_Emeritus

Re: When apologetics go off the "translated as" rails

Post by _Philo Sofee »

Well, I mean, it being the "most correct book" ever printed, that doesn't mean there aren't translation mistakes. After all, God can't seem to figure out a way to make his perfect knowledge into ours, even though he made our brains. He made them so that they cannot comprehend his knowledge........ it's a brilliant when you think of it, that is, in our less than perfect ways.... :rolleyes:
Dr CamNC4Me
"Dr. Peterson and his Callithumpian cabal of BYU idiots have been marginalized by their own inevitable irrelevancy defending a fraud."