Joseph Smith Papyri * Kerry Muhlestein

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_aussieguy55
_Emeritus

Joseph Smith Papyri * Kerry Muhlestein

Post by _aussieguy55 »

Papyri and Presumptions: A Careful Examination
of the Eyewitness Accounts Associated
with the Joseph Smith Papyri Kerry Muhlestein appears in 2016 Journal of Mormon History. On reading the paper I think he is arguing for the still missing theory of the Book of Abraham

His conclusion "The less well written, but longer, scroll in some way combined with
inspiration to be the source of the Book of Abraham."

Phil have you seen this paper. Interested in your comments.
Hilary Clinton " I won the places that represent two-thirds of America's GDP.I won in places are optimistic diverse, dynamic, moving forward"
_bcuzbcuz
_Emeritus

Re: Joseph Smith Papyri * Kerry Muhlestein

Post by _bcuzbcuz »

I'm not Phil, but.

Kerry Muhlestein, isn't he the guy who took two years of Egyptology and then claimed to be an expert in hieroglyphics?

I studied two years of Middle Egyptian Hieroglyphs under Professor Sami Uljas at Uppsala University in Sweden. I never got beyond my Middle Egyptian Grammar using Gardner's and Allen's, Collier's and Manley's work. The grammar is a bear.

I found reading> Subjective future sdm(=f), and the Objective future -r+infinitive and its use in main clauses and continuative clauses, as opposed to subordinate clauses beyond my reach. But then I had just retired from 40 years of teaching, so maybe my brain wasn't as agile as it once was. We were using the unpublished Middle Egyptian course manual by M.A. Collier.

If Muhlestein could prove his proficiency in the above stated course,, maybe then I would take him more seriously.

I doubt he could translate a Coptic text without help. But then again, he's not claiming to translate the same texts Joseph Smith "translated", he's just saying those texts are missing......therefore he doesn't need to show any proficiency in working on non-existent texts.
And in the end, the love you take, is equal to the love...you make. PMcC
_Philo Sofee
_Emeritus

Post by _Philo Sofee »

aussieguy55 wrote:Papyri and Presumptions: A Careful Examination
of the Eyewitness Accounts Associated
with the Joseph Smith Papyri Kerry Muhlestein appears in 2016 Journal of Mormon History. On reading the paper I think he is arguing for the still missing theory of the Book of Abraham

His conclusion "The less well written, but longer, scroll in some way combined with

Phil have you seen this paper. Interested in your comments.

What link is it? I think I have seen it and am including a chapter in my book on Muhlestein's stance...... THANK YOU for the heads up!
Dr CamNC4Me
"Dr. Peterson and his Callithumpian cabal of BYU idiots have been marginalized by their own inevitable irrelevancy defending a fraud."
_grindael
_Emeritus

Post by _grindael »

The missing scroll theory is all they have. And it has been easily debunked, yet they will still try and sell this baloney. Apologists are so dishonest.
Riding on a speeding train; trapped inside a revolving door;
Lost in the riddle of a quatrain; Stuck in an elevator between floors.
One focal point in a random world can change your direction:
One step where events converge may alter your perception.
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Post by _Shulem »

grindael wrote:The missing scroll theory is all they have. And it has been easily debunked, yet they will still try and sell this baloney. Apologists are so dishonest.

The missing scroll theory has been debunked repeatedly from every logical angle imaginable. The theory has been beaten to death and those who cling to it are gasping for air from a long imaginary straw. Indeed, it's their imaginary straw which provides air to sustain life for the Book of Abraham as it lies on life support.

It's sad to have to witness intelligent people stooping to such levels and making fools of themselves. But people will do anything to preserve and advance the cause of their religions.
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Post by _Shulem »

aussieguy55 wrote:Kerry Muhlestein appears in 2016 Journal of Mormon History. On reading the paper I think he is arguing for the still missing theory of the Book of Abraham

Muhlestein knows the missing papyrus theory is just pie in the sky, an imaginary Mormon testimony dream. He knows the facts show otherwise and that Joseph Smith translated his Book of Abraham from funerary papyrus. The facts bear that out in every way and in every facet in proving the Book of Abraham translation is a complete fraud. All Muhlestein can hope for is that somehow the translation is "inspired" and that the funerary papyrus was a part of that inspiration. Such is only a dream for a Mormon testimony.

Muhlestein knows that the translations and explanations for Facsimile No. 3 have nothing to do with the Egyptian text contained in the vignette -- the very text by which Joseph Smith translated. Yes, folks, we have the text. No missing text there. The original funerary vignette is missing, but we have the text via Facsimile! We have the exact text that Joseph Smith eyed and the only text wherewith Muhlestein can lay his eyes on while pondering Joseph Smith's fraudulent translations of Facsimile No. 3.
_aussieguy55
_Emeritus

Post by _aussieguy55 »

PHd student Smoot's latest contribution

http://www.plonialmonimormon.com/2017/0 ... -seer.html
Hilary Clinton " I won the places that represent two-thirds of America's GDP.I won in places are optimistic diverse, dynamic, moving forward"
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Post by _I have a question »

bcuzbcuz wrote:I'm not Phil, but.

Kerry Muhlestein, isn't he the guy who took two years of Egyptology and then claimed to be an expert in hieroglyphics?

I studied two years of Middle Egyptian Hieroglyphs under Professor Sami Uljas at Uppsala University in Sweden. I never got beyond my Middle Egyptian Grammar using Gardner's and Allen's, Collier's and Manley's work. The grammar is a bear.

I found reading> Subjective future sdm(=f), and the Objective future -r+infinitive and its use in main clauses and continuative clauses, as opposed to subordinate clauses beyond my reach. But then I had just retired from 40 years of teaching, so maybe my brain wasn't as agile as it once was. We were using the unpublished Middle Egyptian course manual by M.A. Collier.

If Muhlestein could prove his proficiency in the above stated course,, maybe then I would take him more seriously.

I doubt he could translate a Coptic text without help. But then again, he's not claiming to translate the same texts Joseph Smith "translated", he's just saying those texts are missing......therefore he doesn't need to show any proficiency in working on non-existent texts.

It's funny that anything/everything that would prove Mormonism is true is missing.
It's always missing.
It will always be missing.
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_Philo Sofee
_Emeritus

Post by _Philo Sofee »

aussieguy55 wrote:PHd student Smoot's latest contribution

http://www.plonialmonimormon.com/2017/0 ... -seer.html

He really is such a nice guy.......I so hate to see him waste so many years of his life chasing the chimera as I, and so many others of us, did, but then it shall be for his experience and be for his good, to quote someone or other... :biggrin:
It shows me the serious importance of getting my book worked up and finished eventually. Gee dominates the LDS apologist mind these days as Nibley used to, and neither one of them have or had much of it right..... the young Smootwalker doesn't know the power of the light side.... he fails to "see" the actual issue :wink:
Dr CamNC4Me
"Dr. Peterson and his Callithumpian cabal of BYU idiots have been marginalized by their own inevitable irrelevancy defending a fraud."
_Themis
_Emeritus

Post by _Themis »

Shulem wrote:
grindael wrote:The missing scroll theory is all they have. And it has been easily debunked, yet they will still try and sell this baloney. Apologists are so dishonest.

The missing scroll theory has been debunked repeatedly from every logical angle imaginable. The theory has been beaten to death and those who cling to it are gasping for air from a long imaginary straw. Indeed, it's their imaginary straw which provides air to sustain life for the Book of Abraham as it lies on life support.

It's sad to have to witness intelligent people stooping to such levels and making fools of themselves. But people will do anything to preserve and advance the cause of their religions.

Last time I checked Joseph provided three copies of the papyri. Two of which have imagery and text, and the other had plenty of text with it when they rediscovered some of the papyri. Opps