The Three Witnesses 1968

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

The Three Witnesses 1968

Post by _Maksutov »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbI_po3 ... e&t=10m14s

"David Whitmer relates his account of seeing the gold plates with Martin Harris and Oliver Cowdery. This video also depicts how the three men remained true to their testimonies."
"God" is the original deus ex machina. --Maksutov
_Rosebud
_Emeritus

Re: The Three Witnesses 1968

Post by _Rosebud »

What a slimy manipulation of Martin Harris: getting him to believe the problem was his sins and that he had extra repenting to do. I wonder if all three of them (Joseph, David, and Oliver) were in on it. Or is there evidence that this isn't how it actually went down?

I think this is the first film I saw about the three witnesses as a child. Back then I didn't understand anything about the ways narcissists con and manipulate people (of course). Now I know too much. Feeling sick.

But it's not as if Martin didn't get something from his relationship with Joseph. He wanted to believe. Less money more social perks. No wonder his wife was mad.
Chronological List of Relevant Documents, Media Reports and Occurrences with Links regarding the lawsuit alleging President Nelson's daughter and son-in-law are sexual predators.

By our own Mary (with maybe some input from me when I can help). Thank you Mary!

Thread about the lawsuit

Thread about Mary's chronological document
_deacon blues
_Emeritus

Re: The Three Witnesses 1968

Post by _deacon blues »

The three and eight witnesses are one of the most interesting aspects of the Book of Mormon story. I don't think Whitmer and Cowdery were 'in' on anything. I believe Joseph Smith had experiences with treasure digging that gave him confidence to do some bold things. Perhaps 'groupthink' and the Asch paradigm could help explain it. But I could be wrong. I remember seeing the film in seminary in the early 1970's. Of course the movie depicts Joseph reading off the gold plates. :surprised: