What's Good about the Friday they killed Jesus?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_SuperDell
_Emeritus

What's Good about the Friday they killed Jesus?

Post by _SuperDell »

Visiting friends on the South. Schools were out and many government offices, libraries and business closed for "Good Friday".

Just as no school events are held on Wednesdays - that is BTU(Baptist Training Union) night as well as the night for church activities at many of the other churches.

Aside from catering to Christian fables at the expense of other religious groups - What is "good" about Good Friday? That is the day Jesus committed 'suicide by cop' in his time. Supposedly he knew what was going to happen and went along with it.

What is good about the nailing to the cross & killing the guy?

Won't even get into "Ash Wednesday" and all the kids and people running around with ashes marked on their foreheads and even schools let out for it.
“Those who never retract their opinions love themselves more than they love truth.”
― Joseph Joubert
_Quasimodo
_Emeritus

Re: What's Good about the Friday they killed Jesus?

Post by _Quasimodo »

All the best holidays are pagan. The festival of Eastra (the goddess of spring) comes with all kinds of goodies. Most are more enjoyable than being nailed to a cross. Giant bunnies delivering colored and chocolate eggs. Jelly Bellies and of course, Peeps. A recent and most holy addition is Cadbury Cream Eggs. Yum. Religion at it's best. :wink:
This, or any other post that I have made or will make in the future, is strictly my own opinion and consequently of little or no value.

"Faith is believing something you know ain't true" Twain.
_huckelberry
_Emeritus

Post by _huckelberry »

I always feel Easter is puzzling and uncertain so perhaps it makes sense to bring in spring for emotional support. Eggs and candy are nice.

Good friday on the other hand is clear and concrete. An individual draws attention by telling people they need to find how to be genuinely good themselves instead of just being proud of claiming to be better than outsiders. Somehow people resented that and he was judicially murdered.

Not a happy event but one good to remember.
_Choyo Chagas
_Emeritus

Post by _Choyo Chagas »

SuperDell wrote:What is good about the nailing to the cross & killing the guy?
the exemplar

“That is what we must do,” Itin said. “We had reached the same conclusion.” He held a thick book before him and a ripple of nods ran across the watchers. “We have been studying the Bible as Father Mark told us to do, and we have found the answer. God will make a miracle for us, thereby proving that He is watching us. And by this sign we will know Him and go to Him.”
“This is a sign of false pride,” Father Mark said. “God needs no miracles to prove His existence.”
“But we need a miracle!” Itin shouted, and though he wasn’t hu­man there was still the cry of need in his voice. “We have read here of many smaller miracles, loaves, fishes, wine, snakes—many of them, for much smaller reasons. Now all He need do is make a mir­acle and He will bring us all to Him—the wonder of an entire new world worshiping at His throne, as you have told us, Father Mark. And you have told us how important this is. We have discussed this and find that there is only one miracle that is best for this kind of thing.”
during the next hours, father mark was crucified
Of course the Weskers were marvelous craftsmen, and everything had been constructed down to the last detail, following the illustra­tion in the Bible. There was the cross, planted firmly on the top of a small hill, the gleaming metal spikes, the hammer. Father Mark was stripped and draped in a carefully pleated loincloth. They led him out of the church and at the sight of the cross he almost fainted. After that he held his head high and determined to die as he had lived, with faith.

- http://www.lightspeedmagazine.com/ficti ... -ashkelon/ -

( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Streets_of_Ashkelon )
Choyo Chagas is Chairman of the Big Four, the ruler of the planet from "The Bull's Hour" ( Russian: Час Быка), a social science fiction novel written by Soviet author and paleontologist Ivan Yefremov in 1968.
Six months after its publication Soviet authorities banned the book and attempted to remove it from libraries and bookshops.
_cinepro
_Emeritus

Post by _cinepro »

SuperDell wrote:Visiting friends on the South. Schools were out and many government offices, libraries and business closed for "Good Friday".

Just as no school events are held on Wednesdays - that is BTU(Baptist Training Union) night as well as the night for church activities at many of the other churches.

Aside from catering to Christian fables at the expense of other religious groups - What is "good" about Good Friday? That is the day Jesus committed 'suicide by cop' in his time. Supposedly he knew what was going to happen and went along with it.

What is good about the nailing to the cross & killing the guy?

Won't even get into "Ash Wednesday" and all the kids and people running around with ashes marked on their foreheads and even schools let out for it.

Are you questioning the use of the term "good"?

The etymology of the term "good" in the context of Good Friday is contested. Some sources claim "good" to simply mean pious or holy,[8] while others contend that it is a corruption of "God Friday". The Oxford English Dictionary supports the first etymology, giving "of a day or season observed as holy by the church" as an archaic sense of good (good, adj. 8c), and providing examples of good tide meaning "Christmas" or "Shrove Tuesday", and Good Wednesday meaning the Wednesday in Holy Week.[9]

In German-speaking countries, Good Friday is generally referred to as Karfreitag (Kar from Old High German kara‚ "bewail", "grieve"‚ "mourn", Freitag for "Friday"): Mourning Friday. The Kar prefix is a cognate of the English word "care" in the sense of cares and woes; it meant mourning. The day is also known as Stiller Freitag ("Silent Friday") and Hoher Freitag ("High Friday, Holy Friday"). In the Nordic countries it is called "The Long Friday".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Good_Friday

_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

SuperDell wrote:Won't even get into "Ash Wednesday" and all the kids and people running around with ashes marked on their foreheads and even schools let out for it.

Not to mention Ruby Tuesday and all the hype Super Saturday receives down at the Daily Planet.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_kairos
_Emeritus

Post by _kairos »

Well as a believer it was good for me and i believe for you and every human on the planet from the beginning until the end. jesus as god sacrificed himself to pay the price /atone for every sin every committed or to be committed, sins which separate us from god and for which we are not good enough ourselves to atone for. so it is good that jesus' sacrifice /death was the only perfect sacrifice acceptable to the father. he did what neither i nor you nor anyone else could do to make ourselves "right with the father". so in that sense it was good.
now as i or anyone accepts what jesus did and believes in him that his sacrifice paid the price, then i respond in service to him-give my life -all that i do and am for the rest of my life.
therein is the way of the christian-what we believe and how we should live. without good friday and jesus' selfless sacrifice, humankind would have no hope. with good friday there is hope!

k
_Gunnar
_Emeritus

Post by _Gunnar »

Quasimodo wrote:All the best holidays are pagan. The festival of Eastra (the goddess of spring) comes with all kinds of goodies. Most are more enjoyable than being nailed to a cross. Giant bunnies delivering colored and chocolate eggs. Jelly Bellies and of course, Peeps. A recent and most holy addition is Cadbury Cream Eggs. Yum. Religion at it's best. :wink:

You can have your Cadbury Cream Eggs! I find them so excessively sweet that they are almost painful to my taste buds.
No precept or claim is more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.

“If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; but if you really make them think, they'll hate you.”
― Harlan Ellison
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Post by _I have a question »

The Good bit is that he wasn't really dead.
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_Quasimodo
_Emeritus

Post by _Quasimodo »

Gunnar wrote:You can have your Cadbury Cream Eggs! I find them so excessively sweet that they are almost painful to my taste buds.

:lol: :lol:

That's probably a very good and healthy thing, Gunnar. I don't have much of a sweet tooth myself. I can eat one or two for strictly devotional reasons every year. Since Joseph was a Prophet, I wonder why he didn't cast his mind far into the future and add Cadbury Cream Eggs to the banned items in the Word of Wisdom.
This, or any other post that I have made or will make in the future, is strictly my own opinion and consequently of little or no value.

"Faith is believing something you know ain't true" Twain.