President Monson Closing Talk at Priesthood Session Aborted?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Equality
_Emeritus

Re: President Monson Closing Talk at Priesthood Session Abor

Post by _Equality »

zerinus wrote:He simply gave a short talk. His Sunday Morning talk was also very short, about the same length. He is elderly and frail, so he gives short talks. It doesn't mean that his talks are any less inspired. Conspiracy theorists will never miss an opportunity to imagine one.

I agree with you, Zerinus. Monson's talks are no more and no less inspired now that he is suffering from senility than when he wasn't. I love it when we can find common ground!
"The Church is authoritarian, tribal, provincial, and founded on a loosely biblical racist frontier sex cult."--Juggler Vain
"The lds church is the Amway of religions. Even with all the soap they sell, they still manage to come away smelling dirty."--Some Schmo
_cinepro
_Emeritus

Post by _cinepro »

consiglieri wrote:
And after it was over, the screen just went to dead air. There was no video and organ music afterward as usually happens.

It had the feel of everybody being caught flat-footed with nothing to fill the time.

Dang, how awesome would it have been if they had thrown this up...?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7npse9n-Yw
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Post by _I have a question »

Priesthood session finished 30 minutes early? Now THAT'S a tender mercy!
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_zerinus
_Emeritus

Post by _zerinus »

Equality wrote:I agree with you, Zerinus. Monson's talks are no more and no less inspired now that he is suffering from senility than when he wasn't. I love it when we can find common ground!
He is not senile. He is physically weak. That doesn’t make him senile. He gave a clear, consistent, coherent message. That is not consistent with being senile.
_Chap
_Emeritus

Post by _Chap »

zerinus wrote:
Equality wrote:I agree with you, Zerinus. Monson's talks are no more and no less inspired now that he is suffering from senility than when he wasn't. I love it when we can find common ground!
He is not senile. He is physically weak. That doesn’t make him senile. He gave a clear, consistent, coherent message. That is not consistent with being senile.

Well, he read both his addresses from a teleprompter, did he not? But he certainly did so efficiently enough to suggest that he is not in a state of radical confusion.

I listened to both addresses. Neither of them rose above the commonplace so far as I can see. Throughout the experience I thought that it was very sad that this poor old man, obviously at the limit of his endurance, has to go on filling this public role. I doubt whether, when off the podium, he is able to make any significant contribution to running the business of the CoJCoLDS. But then Jesus does that, so I suppose it does not matter much.
Zadok:
I did not have a faith crisis. I discovered that the Church was having a truth crisis.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
_zerinus
_Emeritus

Post by _zerinus »

Chap wrote:Well, he read both his addresses from a teleprompter, did he not? But he certainly did so efficiently enough to suggest that he is not in a state of radical confusion.
He was not always looking at the teleprompter. He only seemed to do that when he was quoting something. He seemed to have memorized most of his talk.

I listened to both addresses. Neither of them rose above the commonplace so far as I can see.
That depends on what you call commonplace. You would have probably found the Sermon on the Mount commonplace as well.

Throughout the experience I thought that it was very sad that this poor old man, obviously at the limit of his endurance, has to go on filling this public role.
Nobody forces him to. I bet he enjoys telling people what God wants them to hear.

I doubt whether, when off the podium, he is able to make any significant contribution to running the business of the CoJCoLDS. But then Jesus does that, so I suppose it does not matter much.
The contribution he makes is that he is able to tell people what God wants them to hear, or to do what God wants to be done. And as long as that is what God wants him to do, he will strengthen them to do it.
_Chap
_Emeritus

Post by _Chap »

zerinus wrote:
Chap wrote:Well, he read both his addresses from a teleprompter, did he not? But he certainly did so efficiently enough to suggest that he is not in a state of radical confusion.
He was not always looking at the teleprompter. He only seemed to do that when he was quoting something. He seemed to have memorized most of his talk.

Oh, come on! NOBODY delivers GC addresses without the teleprompter! They are nowadays carefully placed so as to be imperceptible to those watching the broadcast talks, and enable the speaker to read from them while looking naturally in the direction of the audience Fortunately not every LDS is as naïve as you are:

https://mybestlds.com/2016/03/29/3-gene ... il-lately/

The teleprompters in the new Conference Center are invisible to the audience, but here’s what they look like with the lights up and from behind the pulpit. It looks like they keep some glasses of water and a bowl of cough drops or mints under the pulpit, too. That’s really thoughtful of someone.

But during conference, the teleprompters are invisible to the audience. The speaker can read the words on them, though. I have no idea how that works, and I’m fairly savvy.

And:

Behind the Scenes at General Conference

Teleprompting
In the prompter booth, personnel obtain scripts and talks ahead of time and project them onto the teleprompter at the stand during the talks.

“We accommodate the requests of the Brethren to help them present their message,” Brother Smith said. “We do what will allow them to best present their message to the world.”

Chap wrote:I listened to both [Monson] addresses. Neither of them rose above the commonplace so far as I can see.

zerinus wrote:That depends on what you call commonplace. You would have probably found the Sermon on the Mount commonplace as well.

Nope. The Sermon on the Mount is full of surprising and counterfactual statements, ideas that lay the foundations of a quite new view of the world. All we got from Monson was basically 'Play nice, and read the Book of Mormon every day. It's all true, believe me - would I lie to you?".
Zadok:
I did not have a faith crisis. I discovered that the Church was having a truth crisis.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
_sock puppet
_Emeritus

Post by _sock puppet »

Chap wrote:NOBODY delivers GC addresses without the teleprompter! They are nowadays carefully placed so as to be imperceptible to those watching the broadcast talks, and enable the speaker to read from them while looking naturally in the direction of the audience Fortunately not every LDS is as naïve as you are:

Those aren't teleprompters. Those are seer stones. They now come in clear, rectangular sheets with handy floor holders.
_Chap
_Emeritus

Post by _Chap »

sock puppet wrote:Those aren't teleprompters. Those are seer stones. They now come in clear, rectangular sheets with handy floor holders.

Damn. If only I had been a Mormon, I wouldn't have made a fool of myself like that, showing my ignorance to the whole board.

I feel so humiliated now. :sad: :cry:
Zadok:
Maksutov:
_RockSlider
_Emeritus

Post by _RockSlider »

The contract signed in blood with the devil demands this practice