Rumor - President Monson has $60 million in assets

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Themis
_Emeritus

Re: Rumor - President Monson has $60 million in assets

Post by _Themis »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Analytics wrote:There is no way the apostles could hoard millions without this guy knowing about it, and there is no way he would have taken the job he took for the money he was paid if that kind of thing was going on at the top. No way.

He probably found out what was going on at the top after he took the job, not before.

I have a lot of doubts as well. Rumor tells me a lot, but I would add that this person took a major pay cut, which tells me he is a true believer and would probably find ways to excuse large salaries. 60 million in assets for example is not that much for major CEOs today.
_Analytics
_Emeritus

Post by _Analytics »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Analytics wrote:There is no way the apostles could hoard millions without this guy knowing about it, and there is no way he would have taken the job he took for the money he was paid if that kind of thing was going on at the top. No way.

He probably found out what was going on at the top after he took the job, not before.

I'm sure he couldn't have found out before he took the job. But even after he took it, the only thing keeping him there was his loyalty to the Church. He still had a great resume and great connections and was eminently qualified to capture a 7-figure income doing the same type of work for the same scale of organization in the private sector.
It’s relatively easy to agree that only Homo sapiens can speak about things that don’t really exist, and believe six impossible things before breakfast. You could never convince a monkey to give you a banana by promising him limitless bananas after death in monkey heaven.

-Yuval Noah Harari
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

I mean. Power shifts once power is given. If your friend was the CFO for the Morcorp then who knows how much he was paid, how his interests were vested, and what he was able to secure for himself. A lot of people who have privileged economic means often live well below their ledger balances.

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_Analytics
_Emeritus

Post by _Analytics »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:I mean. Power shifts once power is given. If your friend was the CFO for the Morcorp then who knows how much he was paid, how his interests were vested, and what he was able to secure for himself. A lot of people who have privileged economic means often live well below their ledger balances.

- Doc

In general I'd agree with that, but when your mom and the CFO's wife are best friends, you overhear things and get a sense for what the actual finances and stresses of the household are.

As a hypothetical example, when a family has grown really comfortable in their 2,500 square-foot home in your ward on 19th East but on a Saturday morning you and the Elder's Quorum move them to a 2,000 square-foot home on 9th East, you can tell that they aren't doing phenomenally economically. You can tell they are moving because they need to lower their mortgage by $500 a month.

I will say that after he got some pretty serious tenure, the economic pressures seemed to wane a bit. This may have been due to being placed on several church-affiliated boards and perks like that. Maybe he complained and was thrown a bone?

But in any case my basic point still remains--he was the kind of guy who could have retired with $60 million in his own account, and very clearly did not.
It’s relatively easy to agree that only Homo sapiens can speak about things that don’t really exist, and believe six impossible things before breakfast. You could never convince a monkey to give you a banana by promising him limitless bananas after death in monkey heaven.

-Yuval Noah Harari
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

Huh. He's the reason why 9th and 9th gentrified. ;) I have no doubt everything you relayed about the man is true. Some of these guys are just true believers. My BIL, who is doing well in the business sector, worked for the Church because he believed in their particular thing they were doing. He resigned at the request of his family, but much like your scenario he was paid a relative pittance for his value.

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.