New Children on record - best stat showing decline of TSCC?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Sanctorian
_Emeritus

New Children on record - best stat showing decline of TSCC?

Post by _Sanctorian »

This year TSCC claims 109,246 new children of record. This is a stat that should show growth every year based on membership growth and yet has declined for the last 5-6 years. That got me thinking.

The global birth rate is 19 births per 1000 people. With 15,882,417 strong members, the church should have 301,766 new children on record.

Utah has the highest birth rates in the US at 17 per 1000. Using that number as a metric for Mormon families, the church should have around 270,001 new children of record.

Based on the claimed 109,246 new children on record and using the Utah and global birth rates per 1000 people, that would put the true Mormon membership somewhere between 5.7 - 6.4 million members worldwide.

Now think about this, how many less active/non active families still have their babies blessed? That number is pretty high in Utah due to social pressures.

In addition, one of the latest leaks suggests Utah has an activity rate of 50%. Utah probably has the highest activity rate worldwide so it could be the church has less than 3-5 million active members worldwide. Ouch!
I'm a Ziontologist. I self identify as such.
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Re: New Children on record - best stat showing decline of TS

Post by _I have a question »

Member families having babies is the pipeline of new members that the Church relies heavily upon.
If that is reducing the Church has a serious problem.
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_Everybody Wang Chung
_Emeritus

Re: New Children on record - best stat showing decline of TS

Post by _Everybody Wang Chung »

The new children on record stat should be of great concern to the leadership, if they are concerned about growth.
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014