TBMs are boring and predictable

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Re: TBMs are boring and predictable

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

Sanctorian wrote:
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:What are some of the amazing not-boring things that you bring to the table that they don't?

- Doc

Touché. Topics that are amaze balls to one are sweaty balls to another. I think the issue isn't so much TBM's wanting to discuss Mormonism, its the substance and depth of Mormonism they talk about.

Rock in the hat? Don't know what you're talking about.
Joseph Smith's polygamy? That was Brigham Young.
Multiple First Visions? That's anti.

You get the idea.

Yeah, I guess that came off as snarky. I was curious how you approach interpersonal relationships that come off as interesting. I say that because I think most relationships necessarily have to be boring to maintain a level of civility. Whereas most people are polite and stick to 'weather' type of topics Mormonism has a built-in safe construct through which people can socialize and maintain positive interactions.

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_Sanctorian
_Emeritus

Post by _Sanctorian »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:Yeah, I guess that came off as snarky. I was curious how you approach interpersonal relationships that come off as interesting. I say that because I think most relationships necessarily have to be boring to maintain a level of civility. Whereas most people are polite and stick to 'weather' type of topics Mormonism has a built-in safe construct through which people can socialize and maintain positive interactions.

- Doc

I think that is what my OP is about. The people in my life that are the most interesting naturally discuss topics that I'm equally interested in or they discuss topics I know little or nothing about. The former makes it easy to keep the conversation going as both parties can discuss the topic with some level of understanding/civility (think sports) while the latter makes it easy to learn something I never knew before which also makes it easy to keep the conversation going as I ask questions out of curiosity.

With a lot of TBM's, this can be true in the latter and they can help educate me in areas I have little knowledge. But, since most TBM's default to some watereddown version of Mormonism, I lose interest fairly quickly.
I'm a Ziontologist. I self identify as such.
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Post by _Maksutov »

An iron rod is supposed to be boring and predictable. That's its major appeal. :wink:
"God" is the original deus ex machina. --Maksutov
_JLHPROF
_Emeritus

Post by _JLHPROF »

Maksutov wrote:An iron rod is supposed to be boring and predictable. That's its major appeal. :wink:

Well, that and the whole not getting lost and off course thing.
But then Image
Thy mind, O man! if thou wilt lead a soul unto salvation, must stretch as high as the utmost heavens, and search into and contemplate the darkest abyss, and the broad expanse of eternity—thou must commune with God. - Joseph Smith