Challenge for Z - imagine a world with no Book of Mormon

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_zerinus
_Emeritus

Re: Challenge for Z - imagine a world with no Book of Mormon

Post by _zerinus »

I have a question wrote:
Islam is the fastest growing religion in the world and is expected to outstrip Christianity by the end of the century.
The number of Muslims will grow more than twice as fast as the world's population from now until 2050, the Pew Research Center has said.
While the world’s population is projected to grow 35 per cent before the middle of the century, the number of Muslims is expected to increase by 73 per cent – from 1.6 billion in 2010 to 2.8 billion
In 2010, Muslims made up 23.2 per cent of the global population. Four decades later, they are expected to make up about three-in-ten of the world’s people (29.7per cent), the Washington-based fact tank said.
Link

Zerinus, how does Mormonism compare to those metrics? How does your narrative of belief now adapt to this new information that Mormonism is a minority cult religion?
Islam came into being 1,400 years ago; Mormonism less than 200 years ago. Islam spread by military conquest, Mormonism by personal testimony. I also question the conclusions of that report. That report is based on population growths, not convertion rates. Islam is growing faster because their populations are rising faster, and they generally self-identify as Muslims. Christianity is declining by comparison because their populations are not growing as fast (or declining), and many of the rising generation no longer self-identify as Christians. Islam’s growth rate is not a valid comparison with the Mormon one.
_grindael
_Emeritus

Post by _grindael »

1. are they even telling the truth...2. what REALLY was their personal experience with the Book of Mormon? How did they go into their reading/study of the book...time, effort, prayer, continued study, etc?

An outside observer here on the internet cannot know the answer to these two questions. And that matters.

And that cuts both ways, so we can't take your word for anything you say in regards to the Book of Mormon because you are probably lying. (We have caught you in enough of them to take that seriously).

Taking someone else's words is a dangerous route to follow here on this board...either for or against the Book of Mormon...without personally reading and looking for Christ in between the covers of that book..for themselves.

Taking someone else's word about anything can be dangerous. But the majority of the people here cough up EVIDENCE, like documents, diary accounts, etc. With the Book of Mormon they cough up nothing but their "testimony". So without the EVIDENCE, that is totally worthless. Thanks for confirming this for us.

And the Christ in the Book of Mormon is simply a rip off from the Bible, via Jo Smith. So they can go the the ORIGINAL book (the Bible) and find out all they need to. The Book of Mormon is redundant. It has no value. It is a shadow of the reality it was ripped off from. It is a con job by Jo Smith.

I advise everyone to donate them to the Salvation Army or put them in your recycle can, because when they get books they can't sell, they recycle them. They will go to a lot better use that way. In fact, ask the missionaries for one, write for one, and then donate it to be recycled. This is the best use for the Book of Mormon.

I've listened to MANY of Dehlin's interviews (Mormon Stories) over the years. A common thread that I've picked up among many of those that have lost whatever 'testimony' they had in the gospel/church is that they didn't seem to have much going on in regards to their relationship/connection with the Book of Mormon.

Why take your word for it. Offer some proof. The podcast titles and timestamps. Bet you won't because you are untrustworthy and NEVER produce any actual EVIDENCE to back up your silly claims. If this is such a "common thread", you can produce at least ten.

And truth be told...to my recollection folks on his podcast, and John himself, haven't spent much time at all discussing these relationships/connections.

Another claim with no basis in reality. Who would ever want to trust your recollection? An anonymous Mormon Apologist with everything to gain from lying? Put up or shut up.

I GUARANTEE you folks, he will never PUT UP, but that won't make him SHUT UP either. :cool:
Riding on a speeding train; trapped inside a revolving door;
Lost in the riddle of a quatrain; Stuck in an elevator between floors.
One focal point in a random world can change your direction:
One step where events converge may alter your perception.
_grindael
_Emeritus

Post by _grindael »

The result is that it has been the fastest growing Church in the world, and I dare say it still is.

What a crock. There is no evidence to back this up but that still doesn't stop this moron from spouting such crap. Throw the actual scientific research out the window in favor of what? Mopologist BS. Sheesh.
Riding on a speeding train; trapped inside a revolving door;
Lost in the riddle of a quatrain; Stuck in an elevator between floors.
One focal point in a random world can change your direction:
One step where events converge may alter your perception.
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Post by _Maksutov »

mentalgymnast wrote:
I think that Pres. Benson and Pres. Hinckley were seers and able to see down the road. Also, I think they are well aware that folks are naturally forgetful and a bit slothful.

Seers that can't see.

And we're to admire GBH, the greatest Mormon liar since Joseph Smith? I don't think so. Lying for the Lord is even worse than taking God's name in vain. But a lying prophet will found a lying church that will go on lying, because when it comes down to it, it's in the lying business, isn't it? :wink:
"God" is the original deus ex machina. --Maksutov
_sock puppet
_Emeritus

Post by _sock puppet »

Polygamy-Porter wrote:
The old man at AskGramps.org wrote:Therefore I think the scriptures make it very clear that while the Lord requires his priesthood holders to be worthy.

It is also clear that the lack of worthiness only impacts the individual holder and not those that receive the ordinances from him.

Why not quote direct from LDS HQ website?

So with this from gramps, the official spokesperson of LDS Inc on LDS theology, unworthy persons may perform priesthood ordinances and will be considered valid?

With that, women can perform priesthood ordinances now?

Why not just automate the whole of temple processes with robots?
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Post by _Maksutov »

sock puppet wrote:Why not just automate the whole of temple processes with robots?

Verily, Brother Sock, they could use Disney animatronics and the movie could be done by Pixar. That way the temple workers could concentrate on necrodunking deceased Jews and Nazis. :geek: Those guys never seem to stay dunked.
"God" is the original deus ex machina. --Maksutov
_Everybody Wang Chung
_Emeritus

Post by _Everybody Wang Chung »

sock puppet wrote:
Why not just automate the whole of temple processes with robots?

There very well might come a time in the not too distant future, when the Church is forced to outsource its temple work to India.
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
_Dr Exiled
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr Exiled »

I like the idea of having one guy, maybe an apostle or the prophet, getting baptized and doing the other ordinances for the whole world all at once. Christ supposedly did it for sin, according to christianity, so why not the prophet or one of the apostles?

Having robots do it does sound cooler though. But giving them all that spiritual power might allow them to take over the world .....
"Religion is about providing human community in the guise of solving problems that don’t exist or failing to solve problems that do and seeking to reconcile these contradictions and conceal the failures in bogus explanations otherwise known as theology." - Kishkumen 
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Post by _I have a question »

Zerinus wrote:The result is that it has been the fastest growing Church in the world, and I dare say it still is.

Islam is the fastest growing religion in the world and is expected to outstrip Christianity by the end of the century.
The number of Muslims will grow more than twice as fast as the world's population from now until 2050, the Pew Research Center has said.
While the world’s population is projected to grow 35 per cent before the middle of the century, the number of Muslims is expected to increase by 73 per cent – from 1.6 billion in 2010 to 2.8 billion
In 2010, Muslims made up 23.2 per cent of the global population. Four decades later, they are expected to make up about three-in-ten of the world’s people (29.7per cent), the Washington-based fact tank said.
Link

IHAQ wrote:Zerinus, how does Mormonism compare to those metrics? How does your narrative of belief now adapt to this new information that Mormonism is a minority cult religion?

zerinus wrote:Islam came into being 1,400 years ago; Mormonism less than 200 years ago. Islam spread by military conquest, Mormonism by personal testimony. I also question the conclusions of that report. That report is based on population growths, not convertion rates. Islam is growing faster because their populations are rising faster, and they generally self-identify as Muslims. Christianity is declining by comparison because their populations are not growing as fast (or declining), and many of the rising generation no longer self-identify as Christians. Islam’s growth rate is not a valid comparison with the Mormon one.

Got it.
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')