Nibley/Gee Entirely Untrustworthy

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_grindael
_Emeritus

Re: Zerinus: Dishonest Mormon Scholarship II

Post by _grindael »

z wrote:
Lemmie wrote: Do you really think it escaped anyone's notice that you are responding to yourself, for the sole purpose of arguing that the thread title used to have your name in it?
Stupid comment.

Maksutov wrote: Stupid comment.

Ingenious observation Mak.
Riding on a speeding train; trapped inside a revolving door;
Lost in the riddle of a quatrain; Stuck in an elevator between floors.
One focal point in a random world can change your direction:
One step where events converge may alter your perception.
_DrW
_Emeritus

Re: Nibley/Gee Entirely Untrustworthy

Post by _DrW »

I beg of you, my fellow MDB'ers: Do not allow zerinus to derail another perfectly good thread, especially one that represents what must amount to many days of skilled and thoughtful labor.
David Hume: "---Mistakes in philosophy are merely ridiculous, those in religion are dangerous."

DrW: "Mistakes in science are learning opportunities and are eventually corrected."
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

DrW wrote:I beg of you, my fellow MDB'ers: Do not allow zerinus to derail another perfectly good thread, especially one that represents what must amount to many days of skilled and thoughtful labor.

Remember, you can always nominate a thread or a post to go into Dr. Shades' Greatest Hits sticky. I asked him to add Darth J's Italian Book of Mormon narrative and he added it. There are lot of historical threads I wish I had asked to be moved there and now they're buried.

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_zerinus
_Emeritus

Post by _zerinus »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:Remember, you can always nominate a thread or a post to go into Dr. Shades' Greatest Hits sticky. I asked him to add Darth J's Italian Book of Mormon narrative and he added it. There are lot of historical threads I wish I had asked to be moved there and now they're buried.

- Doc
LOL! That is a good one. I would definitely recommend you nominating this thread.
_Lemmie
_Emeritus

Post by _Lemmie »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote: Remember, you can always nominate a thread or a post to go into Dr. Shades' Greatest Hits sticky. I asked him to add Darth J's Italian Book of Mormon narrative and he added it. There are lot of historical threads I wish I had asked to be moved there and now they're buried.

- Doc

Interesting, I didn't know that. You can search, but I agree, sometimes those classic threads are hard to find.
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

Lemmie wrote:
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote: Remember, you can always nominate a thread or a post to go into Dr. Shades' Greatest Hits sticky. I asked him to add Darth J's Italian Book of Mormon narrative and he added it. There are lot of historical threads I wish I had asked to be moved there and now they're buried.

- Doc

Interesting, I didn't know that. You can search, but I agree, sometimes those classic threads are hard to find.

Yeah, a lot of KG's and PO's Book of Abraham, KeP, and Schryver takedowns were classics and really deserve to be immortalized.

Virtually any thread started by DarthJ should be pinned; and probably ~300 comment posts should be stickied.

The original 2nd Watson Letter thread ought to be stickied.

I mean... There's such great content that deserve immortalizing. Maybe I'll start looking for stuff and make some recommendations to Dr. Shades...

- Doc

eta: I'd be doing a huge disservice by not stating there has been all-star threads and comments by various scholars here and people who, in their own right, are scholars because they're just fantastic thinkers. I don't want to start naming names because I feel if I inadvertently miss a name I'd probably hurt some feelings. I kinda wish those guys/gals would take the time and ask Dr. Shades to pin some of their content, too.
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_Kevin Graham
_Emeritus

Re: Zerinus: Dishonest Mormon Scholarship II

Post by _Kevin Graham »

DrW wrote:Kevin,

Excellent OP. This kind of detailed, fact based, and evidence supported analysis should receive more attention from a wider audience than it is likely to get here. Have you thought about getting this and the material in your companion OP into some kind of a publication of record?

And don't worry about zerinus' comment. He lives to see his screen name in thread titles. Its about the best he can hope for.

Nah, I thought about during the time I was deeply interested in this stuff, which started in 2006 and began to fade around 2010. At the end, I was in an email correspondence with Gary Bergera of Signature Books and he pitched the idea to me and asked me to come up with an outline rough draft but I never got around to it and wasn't sure what kind of book that would need to be anyway.

This was around the time when William Schryver disappeared and my buddy Chris Smith decided to focus more on his career and less on Book of Abraham apologetics. Another online poster who goes by George Miller started to team up with me over at the Mormon Dialogue forum and we had some humorous take-downs of Will Schryver right before he vanished. He's done a tremendous amount of work on the EAG as a side gig and his material is enough to fill a couple of books. Wade Englund was the only person willing to take up the apologist's cause online, but he was really no challenge worth spending a lot of time on.
_grindael
_Emeritus

Post by _grindael »

I suggested a few to Shades a while back... these were some of the ones I thought worthy..

Some suggestions? For Mormon History Hall of Famers...

viewtopic.php?p=23252#p23252 (Fanny Alger Affair, over 10,000 views)

viewtopic.php?p=839164#p839164 (Coming to grips with Brigham and Race (Russell Stevenson) almost 7,000 views…

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=14231 (Zub Zool oan and Abraham 1:2b–3) (16,000 views)

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=19831&hilit=kinderhook+bomb (15,000 views)
Riding on a speeding train; trapped inside a revolving door;
Lost in the riddle of a quatrain; Stuck in an elevator between floors.
One focal point in a random world can change your direction:
One step where events converge may alter your perception.
_Black Moclips
_Emeritus

Post by _Black Moclips »

It has to be hard keeping an interest in things Mormon. This forum is really the only contact I have with it now, other than get togethers with family still in the church. As I think about all the old school heavy lifters like Kevin, Brent, Chris and others, they have fallen by the wayside because their interests move on and I can't blame them! For a simple post of paragraph I can go through 15 different versions and it takes me a half and hour trying to get it right. I think back on all the massive threads back in the day and the TIME those must have taken to compose and think about blows my mind. Its stunning really. I have no idea how they held the interest even that long. Anyway, hats off to the big dog posters of yesteryear that put out a crap load of great content and debates, and those that somehow manage to stick with it and put out substantive information for us to digest (like Graendel). I don't have the brains, stamina, or interest to do it - but I'm glad a few people still do!
“A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take away everything that you have.”