Radio Free Mormon Podcast

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Uther
_Emeritus

Re: Radio Free Mormon Podcast

Post by _Uther »

Hi Consiglieri,

So it is you who made that podcast!!! Of the jungle of podcasts (I have listened to most episodes of LDS related podcasts since they came around, both large and more obscure ones), I happen to view yours as one of the absolute best!

When I first came across your podcast on Bill's site, about the historical coverup, I was really impressed! Wanting more I started googling, but couldn't find any more "Radio Free Mormon Podcast".

Thanks for your work, and in case you havent absorbed it, you have great podcast skills!

Some of the reasons I really like your podcast:

1. No BS or semi crazy personal bias shining through
2. Very dedicated to the red thread
3. Masterfully structured as to bring out the important points
4. Comfortable voice, giving the impression of someone who actually both knows how to listen, knows the background, and is able to piece things together and relay the information in a simple straightforward manner as to underline the points of the message.

Kind regards
Uther
About Joseph Smith.. How do you think his persona was influenced by being the storyteller since childhood? Mastering the art of going pale, changing his voice, and mesmerizing his audience.. How do you think he was influenced by keeping secrets and lying for his wife and the church members for decades?
_consiglieri
_Emeritus

Post by _consiglieri »

Uther wrote:Kind regards
Uther

Thanks so much, Uther!

One of my pet peeves with the LDS Church falls into three subcategories:

1. They hide the truth.
2. They tell the teachers to hide the truth.
3. They deny they hide the truth.

I have already dealt with numbers 1 and 2 and will probably do the next episode on number 3.

Thanks for listening!

All the Best!

--Consiglieri

P.S. if you just go to the Mormon Discussion Podcast home page, you can scroll down and find the Radio Free Mormon episodes pretty easily.
You prove yourself of the devil and anti-mormon every word you utter, because only the devil perverts facts to make their case.--ldsfaqs (6-24-13)
_Polygamy-Porter
_Emeritus

Post by _Polygamy-Porter »

consiglieri wrote:One of my pet peeves with the LDS Church falls into three subcategories:

1. They hide the truth.
2. They tell the teachers to hide the truth.
3. They deny they hide the truth.

I have already dealt with numbers 1 and 2 and will probably do the next episode on number 3.

I thought LDS Inc was being more transparent these days?

Do you have proof that #2 still occurs?
New name: Boaz
The most viewed "ignored" poster in Shady Acres® !
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Post by _Shulem »

consiglieri wrote:http://www.mormondiscussionpodcast.org/2016/11/extra-radio-free-mormon-hiding-church-history/

http://www.mormondiscussionpodcast.org/ ... evelation/

http://www.mormondiscussionpodcast.org/ ... y-coverup/

Again, listened to all three, yesterday and today. Spent the morning listening to how Joseph Fielding Smith hid up the original and first account of the First Vision in 003.

Bravo!

001: The Great Mormon History Coverup
002: The Reluctant Revelation
003: Hiding Church History
_consiglieri
_Emeritus

Post by _consiglieri »

Thanks so much for the kind words of support, Shulem!

Did you see what I mean about episode one being so heavily edited it sounds like I don't even take a breath during the entire episode?

:lol:
You prove yourself of the devil and anti-mormon every word you utter, because only the devil perverts facts to make their case.--ldsfaqs (6-24-13)
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Post by _Shulem »

consiglieri wrote:Thanks so much for the kind words of support, Shulem!

Did you see what I mean about episode one being so heavily edited it sounds like I don't even take a breath during the entire episode?

:lol:

Practice makes perfect. You have to experiment and try different things in order to find out what works best and find your comfort zones.

Anyway, Joseph Fielding Smith really must have struggled with the original 1832 First Vision account. Had that account been just as faith promoting in context in expressing the idea of two separate persons as in the later accounts there is little question that the account would have been publicized and made known. But it wasn't. It was a candle that Joseph Fielding Smith hid in his bushel -- his private safe.

You know, I have to believe that others who preceded Smith also knew about the 1832 account bearing testimony to only one person in the First Vision and they too hid it up and kept this knowledge secret. Surely, former church Presidents found time to sift through the papers in their vault and curiously ponder the things therein. They must have known about the 1832 account but kept it hidden from the church because they knew that oil and water do not mix anymore than differing accounts that don't add up.

Eventually this knowledge was forgotten and the documents were sealed up collecting dust. A junior apostle, Joseph Fielding Smith, happened to find it again and was determined to keep it secret but the overriding powers (First Presidency (Grant)?) allowed his personal safe to be open and the thesis was born and later the Tanners took it from there. It's a fascinating thing to uncover! A documentary or even a movie could be made on this single subject.
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Post by _Shulem »

Joseph Smith 1832 wrote:I found that mand <​mankind​> did not come unto the Lord but that they had apostatised from the true and liveing faith and there was no society or denomination that built upon the gospel of Jesus Christ

That's not what I was taught in church. In fact, I was taught the exact opposite. I was taught that Joseph Smith was looking for the right church to join but didn't know where to find it so he enquired of God. In fact, the account of the First Vision which I grew up with tells how Joseph Smith asked God "which of all the sects was right" and that it never occurred to him that all of the churches were wrong.

The differences contained in the First Vision accounts are very serious. That's why Joseph Fielding Smith hid it up in his safe and chose to not reveal it to the world. Apologists who defend this are absolutely out of their minds. They have lost touch with reality and are grappling with the need to save their testimonies from certain doom.
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Post by _Shulem »

Kirtland News

16 Year Old Mormon prophet Saw Jesus

Joe Smith the Mormon prophet said: "And the Lord heard my cry in the wilderness, and while in the attitude of calling upon the Lord, in the sixteenth year of my age, a pillar of light above the brightness of the sun at noonday came down from above and rested upon me. I was filled with the spirit of God, and the Lord opened the heavens upon me and I saw the Lord."

Joe said he knew none of the churches were true: "I found that mankind did not come unto the Lord but that they had apostatized from the true and living faith, and there was no society or denomination that was built upon the gospel of Jesus Christ as recorded in the New Testament."

Joe said he saw Jesus: "I was filled with the spirit of God, and the Lord opened the heavens upon me and I saw the Lord."

The Mormons teach that Jesus is God and that the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit are one God. They preach that Jesus is the very Eternal Father as taught in the Holy Bible and the Book of Mormon.
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

Is there a different meaning to these sentences?

1. The historical document was deliberately suppressed from public view.

2. The historical document was deliberately hidden from public view.

Would the difference be that in the first instance it was hidden away for years in a safe, while in the other instance it was hidden away in a safe for decades? That seems to be a significant difference for the keen apologetic mind which can detect nuance in synonyms.

When you are a Bayes Theorem lifeguard you notice those points.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Post by _Shulem »

moksha wrote:Is there a different meaning to these sentences?

1. The historical document was deliberately suppressed from public view.

2. The historical document was deliberately hidden from public view.

Would the difference be that in the first instance it was hidden away for years in a safe, while in the other instance it was hidden away in a safe for decades? That seems to be a significant difference for the keen apologetic mind which can detect nuance in synonyms.

When you are a Bayes Theorem lifeguard you notice those points.

That's a good question. Let's appeal to authority. Daniel C Peterson is a school teacher. He should know. Let's ask him.

What do you say say, Dan? Is it door number 2 or 3?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: