Bare shoulders earn failing grade for BYU student

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Bare shoulders earn failing grade for BYU student

Post by _I have a question »

A freshman student at Brigham Young University-Idaho said she was surprised to learn that a recent art project went too far by showing exposed female shoulders.

Oregon native Waverly Giles said she received a score of zero out of 100 on her photos for a lower-division humanities class.

The photos showed a female subject with colorful paint on her face and were cropped just beneath the woman's collarbone.

"My subject was not fully nude and she wasn't posing provocatively," Giles said. "But yes, the shoulders were against the [university] dress code and it did imply she was in the shower."

BYU-Idaho, like Brigham Young University in Provo, is owned and operated by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

Both schools require students to comply with an Honor Code that includes dress and grooming standards. But the BYU-Idaho Honor Code goes further than its sister campus in Provo by prohibiting shorts, capri pants, flip flops and "other casual footwear."

Giles said she respects and appreciates the school's Honor Code. But her professor had included images of partially clothed or nude artwork — like Michaelangelo's David and Delacroix's "Liberty Leading the People" — during classroom presentations, which led her to believe art projects would be granted some flexibility from campus rules.

"It's art, it's beautiful and it's appreciating the human form," she said. "I was kind of expecting that same amnesty when it came to my project."

Giles said her assignment was due on Nov. 8, and she noticed over the school's Thanksgiving break that she had not earned any points for the project.

When she confronted her professor about the grade on Tuesday, she said she was told her photos were inappropriate and given a blank grading rubric.

On that rubric, which Giles posted on Twitter along with her photos, the professor indicated that the project did not meet the assignment criteria and added a commentary note.

"I have no idea what to do with these," it said. "They're artistic but ..."

http://www.sltrib.com/news/4664710-155/ ... -grade-for

My photographs meet all of the criteria but my professor gave me a 0 because he couldn't see past her visible shoulders

She said she was given an opportunity to resubmit photos for the assignment, but she does not know if her latest attempt will be for full or partial credit.

Her latest project shows a woman, fully clothed, her hands covering her mouth and face.

"The new picture that I turned in was actually inspired by this situation," she said.
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_Polygamy-Porter
_Emeritus

Re: Bare shoulders earn failing grade for BYU student

Post by _Polygamy-Porter »

Her father posted the following on his Facebook page:

My daughter Waverly Giles caught photographing bare shoulders at BYU-I.

I think I should go to church shirtless in solidarity! (Some people may not get that I am speaking hyperbolically. I love BYU and the LDS church, but wish we would stop doing stuff like this)

For those of you who have told me that if I don't like the church, get out... I am going to need a scriptural citation so I can see how Christ phrased that.
New name: Boaz
The most viewed "ignored" poster in Shady Acres® !
_spotlight
_Emeritus

Post by _spotlight »

As Christ groaned in agony upon the cross a passerby cupped their hand and leaned in close to listen.
"Oh god, my shoulders are bare."
Kolob’s set time is “one thousand years according to the time appointed unto that whereon thou standest” (Abraham 3:4). I take this as a round number. - Gee
_sock puppet
_Emeritus

Post by _sock puppet »

Do the illustrations in the current Book of Mormon show any shoulders on the warriors as they used to?
_Polygamy-Porter
_Emeritus

Post by _Polygamy-Porter »

sock puppet wrote:Do the illustrations in the current Book of Mormon show any shoulders on the warriors as they used to?

Likely. Men are allowed have exposed shoulders in LDS Inc.

Its been a while, but years ago I remember playing shirts and skins in the LDS gymnasiums.
New name: Boaz
The most viewed "ignored" poster in Shady Acres® !
_deacon blues
_Emeritus

Post by _deacon blues »

She's a Freshman, she'll learn to figure it out. :rolleyes:

I'm embarrassed. Forty years ago I went to that school. It wasn't that bad then.
_Choyo Chagas
_Emeritus

Post by _Choyo Chagas »

sock puppet wrote:Do the illustrations in the current Book of Mormon show any shoulders on the warriors as they used to?

and christus, maybe?
Choyo Chagas is Chairman of the Big Four, the ruler of the planet from "The Bull's Hour" ( Russian: Час Быка), a social science fiction novel written by Soviet author and paleontologist Ivan Yefremov in 1968.
Six months after its publication Soviet authorities banned the book and attempted to remove it from libraries and bookshops.
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

Choyo Chagas wrote:

and christus, maybe?

Or super hot Eve in the temple film.

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_Choyo Chagas
_Emeritus

Post by _Choyo Chagas »

Choyo Chagas wrote:and christus, maybe?
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:Or super hot Eve in the temple film.

- Doc
fortunately my wife and me have never ever seen her
we left before joining thank to this site and members
Choyo Chagas is Chairman of the Big Four, the ruler of the planet from "The Bull's Hour" ( Russian: Час Быка), a social science fiction novel written by Soviet author and paleontologist Ivan Yefremov in 1968.
Six months after its publication Soviet authorities banned the book and attempted to remove it from libraries and bookshops.
_Rosebud
_Emeritus

Post by _Rosebud »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Or super hot Eve in the temple film.

- Doc
[/quote]

Who is super hot only because of the sexually repressive environment that simultaneously empowers sexual predation. No wonder I spent so many years being so messed up.
Chronological List of Relevant Documents, Media Reports and Occurrences with Links regarding the lawsuit alleging President Nelson's daughter and son-in-law are sexual predators.

By our own Mary (with maybe some input from me when I can help). Thank you Mary!

Thread about the lawsuit

Thread about Mary's chronological document