Church gives Utah State University $1 million

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Church gives Utah State University $1 million

Post by _I have a question »

Utah State University's endowed faculty position for the study of Mormon culture and history got a $1 million boost from The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, the university announced Monday.

The donation from the LDS Church, as well as an anonymous pledged donation of $500,000, was made in support of the Leonard J. Arrington Chair of Mormon History and Culture, one of two endowed chairs within USU's religious studies department.

http://www.sltrib.com/home/4456827-155/ ... million-to

Mormon Interpreter received....well....nothing!

Is this a good use of $1million of tithing donations?
Last edited by Guest on Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_Blixa
_Emeritus

Re: Church gives U of U $1 million

Post by _Blixa »

Utah State is not the U of U.
From the Ernest L. Wilkinson Diaries: "ELW dreams he's spattered w/ grease. Hundreds steal his greasy pants."
_Amore
_Emeritus

Post by _Amore »

I have a question wrote:Is this a good use of $1million of tithing donations?

I'd prefer it go to something more helpfully educational. My passion is education and I'd be a hypocrite as someone who benefited from relatively inexpensive church-University tuition, to say no. However, I also believe strongly that at least 1/3 of tithes (according to the law of tithing in Deut 14:28-29) should be given to help those in need to help themselves. Jesus suggested giving much more.

The church ignores this. Pull out lds scriptures - paper/book. Look up tithing in the TG or Index. You will not find that scripture (Deut. 14:28-29) because the church leaders/tithing collectors disobey it and try to pretend it doesn't exist. Oaks admitted that NO TITHING goes to charity - and lectured members on paying extra for that - so he admitted that they disobey the law of tithing and the greatest commandment "which hang all the prophets." They pretend to be self-righteous judges - having bishops do "tithing settlements" for everyone each year, meanwhile they themselves are so financially corrupt! This is one thing that NOBODY can deny. When TBMs have questioned me about this - I've explained it simply, but they just get defensive. (Granted, I probably could work on my delivery.) Finally, I just figure "A fool and his money are soon parted." If and when they finally figure out the scam, they can't say I didn't try to warn them.

It's estimated that almost 1,000,000,000 (1/7th) of the world's population is "chronically hungry" - many die of hunger-related causes, every day. Governments are often corrupt, so ideally, churches and non-profits make up for that. But the lds church only throws pennies in comparison to what they owe the poor. Not only do church leaders indirectly contribute to suffering and death by robbing the poor of what is rightfully theirs, they also place unnecessary heavy burdens on members, by charging for worthiness and based on income rather than increase. They demand that people who have no "increase" to pay anyway - because they mistakenly base tithing on income - thus the poor become poorer, BECAUSE OF the church's mind-control financial manipulations.

Fancy speeches at general conferences do not make up for their evil actions regarding how they spend sacred funds.

To me, this (financial corruption) and mind-control are the 2 worst evils of the church. The controversial his-story is nothing compared to the harm still being inflicted.
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Post by _I have a question »

Blixa wrote:Utah State is not the U of U.

Thank you, corrected.
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')