I am looking for a quote

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_vankimber
_Emeritus

Re: I am looking for a quote

Post by _vankimber »

Well, I guess I'll just toss in my contribution anyway. I'm glad you found what you were looking for. This one is from Brigham Young.

"It is our duty and calling, as ministers of the same salvation and Gospel, to gather every item of truth and reject every error. Whether a truth be found with professed infidels, or with the Universalists, or the Church of Rome, or the Methodists, the Church of England, the Presbyterians, the Baptists, the Quakers, the Shakers, or any other of the various and numerous different sects and parties, all of whom have more or less truth, it is the business of the Elders of this Church (Jesus, their Elder Brother, being at their head) to gather up all the truths in the world pertaining to life and salvation, to the Gospel we preach, … to the sciences, and to philosophy, wherever it may be found in every nation, kindred, tongue, and people and bring it to Zion."(DBY, 248)
_AmyJo
_Emeritus

Post by _AmyJo »

vankimber wrote:Well, I guess I'll just toss in my contribution anyway. I'm glad you found what you were looking for. This one is from Brigham Young.

"It is our duty and calling, as ministers of the same salvation and Gospel, to gather every item of truth and reject every error. Whether a truth be found with professed infidels, or with the Universalists, or the Church of Rome, or the Methodists, the Church of England, the Presbyterians, the Baptists, the Quakers, the Shakers, or any other of the various and numerous different sects and parties, all of whom have more or less truth, it is the business of the Elders of this Church (Jesus, their Elder Brother, being at their head) to gather up all the truths in the world pertaining to life and salvation, to the Gospel we preach, … to the sciences, and to philosophy, wherever it may be found in every nation, kindred, tongue, and people and bring it to Zion."(DBY, 248)

All the truths in the world, and throw em into the same pot together... what do you get, but a good old fashioned everyday stew! Now that's got some real fillers that are more than sublime.

"Everything Stew (Serves eight)
I cook with whatever is in the refrigerator. One recent creation tasted so good my wife said, “You have to share this one.” My wife had a colonoscopy that morning and had eaten only Gatorade and Jell-O the previous day. Any real food had to taste wonderful after that, but I liked it myself and I’ve been eating good steadily. So here’s my September 30, 2010 edition of Everything Stew.
Ingredient list:
One pound of boneless pork chops
One pound of beef for stew
32-ounces of chicken broth (Imagine Organic was the first I found with no added sugar)
28-ounces of fire roasted diced tomatoes (canned)
One sweet yellow onion
Half a pound of parsnips
Half a pound of asparagus
Quarter of a pound of cauliflower florets
Quarter of a pound of broccoli florets
Quarter of a pound of baby carrots
Quarter of a pound of squash
6 cloves of garlic
Extra virgin olive oil
Crushed red pepper flakes
Dried rosemary
Salt
In preparation:
Cut beef and pork into bite-sized cubes
Peel parsnips and slice into bite-sized pieces
Chop the woody end off asparagus spears and slice into bite-sized pieces
Chop onion, slice squash, cut carrots, cauliflower, and broccoli into bite-sized pieces
Directions:
Heat 3-4 tablespoons of olive oil over medium heat in a stew pot. Add all vegetables and meat. Pour in all chicken broth. Add spices to taste. Even though the chicken broth is flavored, I add a lot of salt, a lot of rosemary, and a lot of crushed red pepper. I like garlic, so I add 6 cloves. On the Food Network, everyone seems to chop or crush fresh garlic, but I have a Zyliss garlic press from years ago that I like to use. Once everything is in the pot, let it stew covered for about an hour on low heat.
Serve over a bed of fresh baby spinach. Honestly, the spinach doesn’t bring out anything special in the Everything Stew, but getting in an extra serving of fresh greens is always a good idea.
Let me confess. I added the cauliflower and carrots because I needed to use up what I had. I added the broccoli because I wanted more green. I added both pork and beef because I was including a lot of vegetables. But I liked it and will do it again on purpose.
One reason to eat is to get good stuff inside your body. Everything Stew is a lot of good stuff!"

http://www.wholelifeeating.com/2010/09/everything-stew/
_Tator
_Emeritus

Post by _Tator »

AmyJo wrote:All the truths in the world, and throw em into the same pot together... what do you get, but a good old fashioned everyday stew! Now that's got some real fillers that are more than sublime.

"Everything Stew (Serves eight)
I cook with whatever is in the refrigerator. One recent creation tasted so good my wife said, “You have to share this one.” My wife had a colonoscopy that morning and had eaten only Gatorade and Jell-O the previous day. Any real food had to taste wonderful after that, but I liked it myself and I’ve been eating good steadily. So here’s my September 30, 2010 edition of Everything Stew.
Ingredient list:
One pound of boneless pork chops
One pound of beef for stew
32-ounces of chicken broth (Imagine Organic was the first I found with no added sugar)
28-ounces of fire roasted diced tomatoes (canned)
One sweet yellow onion
Half a pound of parsnips
Half a pound of asparagus
Quarter of a pound of cauliflower florets
Quarter of a pound of broccoli florets
Quarter of a pound of baby carrots
Quarter of a pound of squash
6 cloves of garlic
Extra virgin olive oil
Crushed red pepper flakes
Dried rosemary
Salt
In preparation:
Cut beef and pork into bite-sized cubes
Peel parsnips and slice into bite-sized pieces
Chop the woody end off asparagus spears and slice into bite-sized pieces
Chop onion, slice squash, cut carrots, cauliflower, and broccoli into bite-sized pieces
Directions:
Heat 3-4 tablespoons of olive oil over medium heat in a stew pot. Add all vegetables and meat. Pour in all chicken broth. Add spices to taste. Even though the chicken broth is flavored, I add a lot of salt, a lot of rosemary, and a lot of crushed red pepper. I like garlic, so I add 6 cloves. On the Food Network, everyone seems to chop or crush fresh garlic, but I have a Zyliss garlic press from years ago that I like to use. Once everything is in the pot, let it stew covered for about an hour on low heat.
Serve over a bed of fresh baby spinach. Honestly, the spinach doesn’t bring out anything special in the Everything Stew, but getting in an extra serving of fresh greens is always a good idea.
Let me confess. I added the cauliflower and carrots because I needed to use up what I had. I added the broccoli because I wanted more green. I added both pork and beef because I was including a lot of vegetables. But I liked it and will do it again on purpose.
One reason to eat is to get good stuff inside your body. Everything Stew is a lot of good stuff!"

http://www.wholelifeeating.com/2010/09/everything-stew/

Yum, sounds great, the only thing missing is a stone.
a.k.a. Pokatator joined Oct 26, 2006 and permanently banned from MAD Nov 6, 2006
"Stop being such a damned coward and use your real name to own your position."
"That's what he gets for posting in his own name."
2 different threads same day 2 hours apart Yohoo Bat 12/1/2015