Bundy Trial begins - more bad PR for the church

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_moksha
_Emeritus

Re: Bundy Trial begins - more bad PR for the church

Post by _moksha »

sock puppet wrote:
Res Ipsa wrote:The gibberish in the briefs is sovereign citizen jargon. It's like a different language.

It sort of reminds me of Yahoo Bot's talk of a chartered city.

Sort of like Bednar City, Florida will be in serving the righteous since 2068.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_SuperDell
_Emeritus

Post by _SuperDell »

Res Ipsa wrote:The gibberish in the briefs is sovereign citizen jargon. It's like a different language.

Do they use it because they are too stupid to learn Ebonics?
“Those who never retract their opinions love themselves more than they love truth.”
― Joseph Joubert
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Post by _Maksutov »

SuperDell wrote:

Do they use it because they are too stupid to learn Ebonics?

Sovereign Citizens are living in a video game where Tim McVeigh is a god. They're only amusing because they exist in small numbers. If they were more common and smarter we would have a really serious problem.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2 ... llers.html

https://www.splcenter.org/hatewatch/201 ... -sovereign

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sovereign ... n_movement

We have people on this board promoting these ideas. The Bundys and Finicum did too. While they aren't unique to Mormonism, right wing Mormon subcultures are very hospitable to them.
"God" is the original deus ex machina. --Maksutov
_cwald
_Emeritus

Post by _cwald »

Federal prosecutors in the Oregon standoff trial will be able to use Facebook account information on defendants obtained through a search warrant...

http://www.oregonlive.com/oregon-stando ... _big-photo

Game over.
"Jesus gave us the gospel, but Satan invented church. It takes serious evil to formalize faith into something tedious and then pile guilt on anyone who doesn’t participate enthusiastically." - Robert Kirby

Beer makes you feel the way you ought to feel without beer. -- Henry Lawson
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

cwald wrote:
Federal prosecutors in the Oregon standoff trial will be able to use Facebook account information on defendants obtained through a search warrant...

http://www.oregonlive.com/oregon-stando ... _big-photo
Game over.

Big plus for that Judge to acknowledge that public Facebook information is as sacrosanct as a huge electronic billboard at Times Square. Now in other circumstances such thinking might be pointed to as the work of liberal liars, but when in service to true LDS patriots, scrupulous care must be observed.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_cwald
_Emeritus

Post by _cwald »

Update from the trial today:

Bundy continues to make sure the jury, the court, the citizens of Oregon, and the entire country, know that he is a member of the Mormon church. Over and over and over again they make the point and find a way to ensure it makes the nightly news. It almost feels like he THINKS this is a bonus and will help him garner sympathy with the evangelical crowd. I'm sure it is a purposeful strategy. Ammon's lawyer, Marcus Mumford, is a devout Mormon, mission, temple marriage etc from Franklin/Cache Valley Utah. Know him well - he was my roommate in college.

With a photo displayed to jurors of him standing beside his wife and seven of his eight children, Ryan Bundy described himself as a son of a rancher, member of the Mormon church and a family man who now "raises cattle, melon and children.''

Holding up a copy of a pocket Constitution, Ryan Bundy told jurors that he believes that governments are instituted by God for the benefit of man and that "human law'' should punish guilt "but never suppress the freedom of the soul.''

"I believe we were there not to break the law," he said, "but to enforce the law, to uphold the law ... the Constitution of the United States.''

He said he was thankful to be in court. "It's a marvelous thing to see a jury and let you decide,'' Ryan Bundy said.

Just before Ryan Bundy stood before jurors, the judge rejected his request to hand each a copy of a pocket Constitution, telling him that it's her role to instruct them on the law, not his.

Barrow objected five times during Cox's opening statement, and the judge had to steer her back on course.

U.S. District Judge Anna J. Brown told Cox that she could provide background on herself, "not a bio.'' Then, as Cox described in detail her religious beliefs, the judge interjected, "Ms. Cox you made the point, you're a woman of faith.''

http://www.oregonlive.com/oregon-stando ... _of_r.html

...He talked about his Mormon faith and told the jury he was at the refuge “not to break the law, but to enforce the law.”

The group’s members have said they were protesting federal land use policy and wanted locals to control the area.

Ryan Bundy said he is “in favor of government as long as it’s done correctly.”

Ammon Bundy’s attorney, ... Mumford described Ammon as a family man, a father of 6, and a small business owner who has deep moral convictions....

http://koin.com/2016/09/13/malheur-tria ... s-tuesday/
Last edited by Guest on Thu Sep 15, 2016 2:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Jesus gave us the gospel, but Satan invented church. It takes serious evil to formalize faith into something tedious and then pile guilt on anyone who doesn’t participate enthusiastically." - Robert Kirby

_Blixa
_Emeritus

Post by _Blixa »

Thanks for your updates, cwald. Yours is a fascinating position.
From the Ernest L. Wilkinson Diaries: "ELW dreams he's spattered w/ grease. Hundreds steal his greasy pants."
_cwald
_Emeritus

Post by _cwald »

Blixa wrote:Thanks for your updates, cwald. Yours is a fascinating position.

Thank you and yes.

I know some of the characters involved - when I heard Mumford was on the case, I about fell out of my chair.

I saw first hand how "the occupation" tore the community apart. It was ugly. I also saw how the active Mormons interacted and reacted to the Bundy's threats and religious claims. The Bundy clan actually attended sacrament meeting out here in Burns one Sunday. I'm still friendly with the Mormon members.

Oh, and I'm also a government agricultural employee.

_cwald
_Emeritus

Post by _cwald »

Another old article from oregonlive resurfaced today. And it's a doozy.

http://www.oregonlive.com/opinion/index ... _morm.html

Malheur occupation: Bundy's Mormonism and the fraud that is religion

...Oregonian reporter Melissa Binder bravely violates the taboo of openly criticizing religion by pointing out the influence that Mormonism has played in the bad behavior of Malheur militant Ammon Bundy, who says that God tells him what to do.

Adherents of conservative religious dogma hope to deflect any criticism of their unfounded beliefs, heinous acts and discrimination against others by saying they are divinely inspired by the Scriptures of their holy books, or that it's their religious liberty to do so. It is irrelevant that this is obviously self-serving because the indoctrinated mind truly believes that they talk to a God, that God directs their every action, and that whatever happens in their world is their God's will.