Jesus didn't go to Ephesus

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_sock puppet
_Emeritus

Jesus didn't go to Ephesus

Post by _sock puppet »

... but Paul did.

Is a church just a single congregation, in a specific locale?

Mormonicious recently noted that all that the CAB in SLC cares about is tithe payers v. non tithe payers. I suspect he's right. At the CAB, they get reports. Paper or maybe electronic, but just tallies of numbers. Numbers of members, attendance, baptisms, tithes paid, fast offerings collected, etc. If there are names attached, they mean nothing to those Brethren who are reviewing those reports.

But if you have a church that goes beyond a local congregation, how can it be otherwise?

Paul wrote letters to the congregations in far off places, but did they send reports back to Peter? If so, there is no mention of it. But the LDS church is very report oriented--numbers driven--so much so it is accurate that it is the Corporation of the President.

Is there really any 'church' beyond just a local congregation, face to face, personal interaction?
Last edited by Guest on Thu Sep 08, 2016 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
_kamenraider
_Emeritus

Re: Jesus didn't go to Ephesia

Post by _kamenraider »

You mean Ephesus?
A foolish faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth.
--Albert Einstein
_sock puppet
_Emeritus

Re: Jesus didn't go to Ephesus

Post by _sock puppet »

kamenraider wrote:You mean Ephesus?

yep
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Post by _Maksutov »

Most of what is called Christianity should be called "Paulism". His followers systematically suppressed alternatives to his teachings. His shameless channeling of Jesus and his pretensions put even Joseph Smith to shame. :wink:
"God" is the original deus ex machina. --Maksutov
_Tator
_Emeritus

Post by _Tator »

sock puppet wrote:... but Paul did.

Is a church just a single congregation, in a specific locale?

Mormonicious recently noted that all that the CAB in SLC cares about is tithe payers v. non tithe payers. I suspect he's right. At the CAB, they get reports. Paper or maybe electronic, but just tallies of numbers. Numbers of members, attendance, baptisms, tithes paid, fast offerings collected, etc. If there are names attached, they mean nothing to those Brethren who are reviewing those reports.

But if you have a church that goes beyond a local congregation, how can it be otherwise?

Paul wrote letters to the congregations in far off places, but did they send reports back to Peter? If so, there is no mention of it. But the LDS church is very report oriented--numbers driven--so much so it is accurate that it is the Corporation of the President.

Is there really any 'church' beyond just a local congregation, face to face, personal interaction?

It is my understanding that Jesus taught he was in attendance if two believers gathered, that is the minimum required attendance for a church. Bigger churches were held in their homes. I also it is my understanding that Jesus didn't really tell the early church how to do church he just said to do it (gather, meet, take care of others, etc.).

Any time a church gets bigger than a single group they tend to turn in to a bank, business, corporation, marketing company, legalistic entity that has the main priority in profiteering.
a.k.a. Pokatator joined Oct 26, 2006 and permanently banned from MAD Nov 6, 2006
"Stop being such a damned coward and use your real name to own your position."
"That's what he gets for posting in his own name."
2 different threads same day 2 hours apart Yohoo Bat 12/1/2015