What happens when you voice disagreement?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_I have a question
_Emeritus

What happens when you voice disagreement?

Post by _I have a question »

Rowley took a leap in that journey last November when the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints announced a new policy: the children of gay parents would no longer be baptized in the church until they were 18 — and then only if they disavowed their parents' relationship and moved out of their home.

In November, Rowley wrote a letter to his church leaders, politely telling them he disagreed with the policy and asking to work together to help those who might be hurt by it. He noted his long service in the church and offered to counsel teenagers and young adults who could be at risk for depression, addiction or suicide. He also offered to lead discussions for their families and workshops for church leaders working with teens.

"It gives me no pleasure to state my disagreement with current church practice and teaching related to LGBT individuals, couples, families and especially their children," Rowley said in his letter about lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender persons. "If I could stay silent or simply ride it all out, and still maintain my integrity, I would to it. But I cannot."

Rowley was called in to meet with his bishop and two other church leaders. He hoped for a conversation. He was met with hostility.

"It came down to this: If I wanted to be a member, they required me to be silent about any disagreements," Rowley said.

If he wasn't silent, he was told, he could be called into a disciplinary council and excommunicated.

http://www.vcstar.com/news/local/Mormon ... 07471.html
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_Fence Sitter
_Emeritus

Re: What happens when you voice disagreement?

Post by _Fence Sitter »

"Common Consent" in the LDS church means about as much as a North Korean election.
"Any over-ritualized religion since the dawn of time can make its priests say yes, we know, it is rotten, and hard luck, but just do as we say, keep at the ritual, stick it out, give us your money and you'll end up with the angels in heaven for evermore."
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Post by _Maksutov »

Hey, it's even worse than that. Drawing attention to stuff like this will get you a round in Temple Square Thunderdome vs Utah Texan. :lol: :lol: :lol:
"God" is the original deus ex machina. --Maksutov
_sock puppet
_Emeritus

Post by _sock puppet »

Fence Sitter wrote:"Common Consent" in the LDS church means about as much as a North Korean election.

Yea, well, if the Brethren can de-canonize (e.g., the Lectures on Faith) what the church body had canonized, I suppose this heavy-handedness on a 'policy' ought to be expected.