Happy Father's Day to the absentee dad in my life

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Everybody Wang Chung
_Emeritus

Re: Happy Father's Day to the absentee dad in my life

Post by _Everybody Wang Chung »

"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Post by _Maksutov »

Nightlion wrote:
Maksutov wrote:
Thinking it through, I realize that God is either inept, malicious or absent. Pick one. :wink:

Satan was saying all those things way back when to win over his 1/3rd. How did you fall back into that crap?

Maybe Satan is the truth teller and God is the liar. God has certainly murdered more than Satan has. And I don't remember Satan standing by watching his own son's murder and having sex with his own spirit daughter, either.

How did you fall back into the religious crap of the church that threw you out? Are you a masochist? They discarded you. And then you go on to condemn and discard others? For shame. You have learned nothing. :cool:
Last edited by Guest on Sun Jun 19, 2016 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"God" is the original deus ex machina. --Maksutov
_Everybody Wang Chung
_Emeritus

"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
_Everybody Wang Chung
_Emeritus

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Post by _Maksutov »

Everybody Wang Chung wrote:Image

Excellent!
"God" is the original deus ex machina. --Maksutov
_sock puppet
_Emeritus

Post by _sock puppet »

Everybody Wang Chung wrote:Image

Just coincidence, say the theists.
_Chap
_Emeritus

Post by _Chap »

From Gibbon's Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire:

Chapter 15, The progress of the Christian religion, and the sentiments, manners, numbers, and condition of the primitive Christians

Their truth contested.
The miracles of the primitive church, after obtaining the sanction of ages, have been lately attacked in a very free and ingenious inquiry (79) which, though it has met with the most favourable reception from the public, appears to have excited a general scandal among the divines of our own as well as of the other Protestant churches of Europe. (80) Our different sentiments on this subject will be much less influenced by any particular arguments than by our habits of study and reflection, and, above all, by the degree of the evidence which we have accustomed ourselves to require for the proof of a miraculous event.
Our perplexity in defining the miraculous period.
The duty of an historian does not call upon him to interpose his private judgment in this nice and important controversy; but he ought not to dissemble the difficulty of adopting such a theory as may reconcile the interest of religion with that of reason, of making a proper application of that theory, and of defining with precision the limits of that happy period, exempt from error and from deceit, to which we might be disposed to extend the gift of supernatural powers. From the first of the fathers to the last of the popes, a succession of bishops, of saints, of martyrs, and of miracles, is continued without interruption; and the progress of superstition was so gradual and almost imperceptible, that we know not in what particular link we should break the chain of tradition. Every age bears testimony to the wonderful events by which it was distinguished, and its testimony appears no less weighty and respectable than that of the preceding generation, till we are insensibly led on to accuse our own inconsistency if, in the eighth or in the twelfth century, we deny to the venerable Bede, or to the holy Bernard, the same degree of confidence which, in the second century, we had so liberally granted to Justin or to Irenaeus. (81) If the truth of any of those miracles is appreciated by their apparent use and propriety, every age had unbelievers to convince, heretics to confute, and idolatrous nations to convert; and sufficient motives might always be produced to justify the interposition of Heaven. And yet, since every friend to revelation is persuaded of the reality, and every reasonable man is convinced of the cessation, of miraculous powers, it is evident that there must have been some period in which they were either suddenly or gradually withdrawn from the Christian church. Whatever era is chosen for that purpose, the death of the apostles, the conversion of the Roman empire, or the extinction of the Arian heresy, (82) the insensibility of the Christians who lived at that time will equally afford a just matter of surprise. They still supported their pretensions after they had lost their power. Credulity performed the office of faith; fanaticism was permitted to assume the language of inspiration, and the effects of accident or contrivance were ascribed to supernatural causes. The recent experience of genuine miracles should have instructed the Christian world in the ways of Providence, and habituated their eye (if we may use a very inadequate expression) to the style of the Divine artist. Should the most skilful painter of modern Italy presume to decorate his feeble imitations with the name of Raphael or of Correggio, the insolent fraud would be soon discovered and indignantly rejected.

Do you see what he did there? Basically, he pointed out that even when 'genuine' miracles must have ceased, people still believed they were happening ... so ...
Zadok:
I did not have a faith crisis. I discovered that the Church was having a truth crisis.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
_Everybody Wang Chung
_Emeritus

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
_Polygamy-Porter
_Emeritus

Post by _Polygamy-Porter »

just me wrote:
Nightlion wrote:Hey, Doc Twain, being a medical academician you have got to worship the fact that 99.999% of all births are perfect.
And the .001% that ain't are supposed to make you appreciate how perfectly God invented life. So why be such a smart ass?

Where on earth did you come up with that stat? Oh, out your own ass.

Complications alone are higher than that. Heck, miscarriages account for 15-20% of all pregnancies in the US.

Nightlion wrote:Them would not count as BIRTHS. Can you blame them for not wanting to be born in this world of blasphemy?
Are you from Magna? :lol: :lol:
New name: Boaz
The most viewed "ignored" poster in Shady Acres® !