Is Holocaust Denial a New Mopologetic Strategy?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_The Erotic Apologist
_Emeritus

Re: Is Holocaust Denial a New Mopologetic Strategy

Post by _The Erotic Apologist »

AmyJo wrote:Some of those Mormon Nazis and SS guards actually moved to Utah and the US following WWII.
D Michael Quinn talks about this, though I don't recall that any of the former Nazis who were granted visas sponsored by General Authorities were concentration camp guards. I may be wrong, though.

Arthur Zander, the vocal Nazi and LDS Branch president who excommunicated Helmuth Hübener, received a GA sponsored visa and settled in Salt Lake City after the war If I recall correctly.

AmyJo wrote:Then add the Mormons complicity in helping to gas the Jews at Treblinka and elsewhere throughout Europe by aiding and abetting the Nazis (many of whom were Nazis themselves,) you get another distortion of the facts as they would like to retell history.
Do you have a reliable source that talks about Mormons who were directly involved in the Holocaust?
Surprise, surprise, there is no divine mandate for the Church to discuss and portray its history accurately.
--Yahoo Bot

I pray thee, sir, forgive me for the mess. And whether I shot first, I'll not confess.
--Han Solo, from William Shakespeare's Star Wars
_DarkHelmet
_Emeritus

Re: Is Holocaust Denial a New Mopologetic Strategy?

Post by _DarkHelmet »

There is no debate where the Holocaust took place. There still exist actual remains of the concentration camps. Jews and Nazis actually existed, and DNA evidence confirms that there were actually Jews and Nazis living in Europe at the time. Historians can talk to actual living relatives of Jews and Nazis today. Yep, it's just like the Book of Mormon.
"We have taken up arms in defense of our liberty, our property, our wives, and our children; we are determined to preserve them, or die."
- Captain Moroni - 'Address to the Inhabitants of Canada' 1775
_Chap
_Emeritus

Post by _Chap »

The Erotic Apologist wrote:
AmyJo wrote:Some of those Mormon Nazis and SS guards actually moved to Utah and the US following WWII.
D Michael Quinn talks about this, though I don't recall that any of the former Nazis who were granted visas sponsored by General Authorities were concentration camp guards. I may be wrong, though.

Arthur Zander, the vocal Nazi and LDS Branch president who excommunicated Helmuth Hübener, received a GA sponsored visa and settled in Salt Lake City after the war If I recall correctly.

Here is his Deseret News obituary:

The funeral for Arthur Zander, considered the father of organized soccer in Utah, will be June 6. He died June 2 of cancer at age 82.

Mr. Zander started playing soccer at age 6 in his native Hamburg, Germany, where he played for 39 years. He converted to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and moved to Utah in 1952 where he organized the Alemannia Soccer Club and the Berlin Soccer Club.He founded the Utah High School Soccer Association and introduced soccer to Brigham Young University and Salt Lake City's South High School, where he was South High's first soccer coach.

Mr. Zander also started the Arthur Zander Soccer Equipment Store, which he operated for more than 20 years from the basement of his home.

Funeral services will be held at noon at the Forest Dale Ward, 739 E. Ashton Ave. Friends may call Monday from 7-9 p.m. at the Mackay Deseret Mortuary, 36 E. Seventh South, and Tuesday at the chapel one hour before funeral services. Interment will be in the Salt Lake City Cemetery.

Notice the carefully ambiguous phrasing: "He converted to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and moved to Utah in 1952". Doesn't that make it sound as if he wasn't a Mormon till 1952, then he converted and moved to Utah? The person who wrote that obviously knew that he or she was misleading people by writing that way - in other words, it was a lie.

The missing bit of the story is here:

Local LDS branch president Arthur Zander was a supporter of the Nazi Party. To show that the LDS Church in Hamburg was a law-abiding religion, he affixed notices to the church door stating "Jews not welcome" beginning in 1938. Ten days after the arrest of Helmuth Hübener [a brave young Mormon who protested against Nazism and was executed], on 15 February 1942, Zander, acting for the LDS Church, excommunicated the young man demonstratively,[6] as had been demanded by the Gestapo, without holding a church court or notifying church headquarters in Salt Lake City, USA.

Four years later and after the war, Hübener was posthumously reinstated in the Church in 1946 by new mission president Max Zimmer, saying the excommunication was not carried through with the proper procedures.

And the church sponsors Zander for a visa, and whitewashes his past ...

Isn't that a pretty sight?
Zadok:
I did not have a faith crisis. I discovered that the Church was having a truth crisis.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
_AmyJo
_Emeritus

Post by _AmyJo »

The Erotic Apologist wrote:

AmyJo wrote:Then add the Mormons complicity in helping to gas the Jews at Treblinka and elsewhere throughout Europe by aiding and abetting the Nazis (many of whom were Nazis themselves,) you get another distortion of the facts as they would like to retell history.
Do you have a reliable source that talks about Mormons who were directly involved in the Holocaust?

It's in a recently published historical account of the Mormons complicity in Nazi Germany, titled "Mormons and the Swastika." The author of the book, David Conley Nelson, spoke at last year's ex_Mormon conference in SLC. http://religionnews.com/2015/02/19/morm ... ird-reich/

After his speech at the conference some guy walked up to him and I could hear him say on the televised conference recording that his father had been a Nazi Mormon guard during the Holocaust. He was practically bragging about it. He actually sounded proud of the fact his father who later came to Utah as a LDS after the war, had served in such a capacity.

There were many Mormon Nazis and SS guards who proudly served as part of Hitler's Third Reich. The only known Mormon German Resistance fighter was excommunicated by the LDS church for trying to save the Jews from genocide. He was later executed by the Germans, and likely turned in by his LDS superiors.

The genealogists for the LDS church supplied the names of all Germans who had any traces of Jewish ancestry, whether converts to Mormonism, Christianity, or otherwise in hiding. They were only too glad to help the Germans identify who was Jewish among them. They placed the star of Jude on their church doors, forbidding any Jews to enter during the Holocaust.

So the LDS, by not trying to save their fellow innocent men, women and children from the gallows - their own country people, makes them exactly Christian? God fearing? I think not!

Sick. Twisted. Mormon actions led all the way up to Temple Square and J. Reuben Clark who was a vile anti-Semite and 100% pro-Hitler in full support of Hitler's war on Jews.

It's all in the book, Mormons and the Swastika. When I learned of this last year, it made me physically sick at how dishonest and treacherous the church was by aligning with a mass murderer and for aiding and abetting in the genocide of more than 6 million Jews.

There were many known Resistance Fighters throughout WWII. And yet the only Mormon we know of as being such was expelled by the Mormons, then executed for his nobility.
_The Erotic Apologist
_Emeritus

Re: Is Holocaust Denial a New Mopologetic Strategy?

Post by _The Erotic Apologist »

Thanks for the information. Sounds like I need to read Moroni and the Swastika.
Surprise, surprise, there is no divine mandate for the Church to discuss and portray its history accurately.
--Yahoo Bot

I pray thee, sir, forgive me for the mess. And whether I shot first, I'll not confess.
--Han Solo, from William Shakespeare's Star Wars