The time my stake president chose the church over his kids

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Sanctorian
_Emeritus

The time my stake president chose the church over his kids

Post by _Sanctorian »

When my stake president called me into his office to discuss my doubts, he gave me insight into the life he decided to live by dedicating himself to the church. He mentioned he was first called as a member of a bishopric while his kids were under 10. He then moved up to bishop, high council and eventually stake president. All told, he spent the vast majority of their childhood in leadership callings.

What did he get for all his dedicated efforts to the Lord? His three boys eventually all left the church and he doesn't have a good relationship with them as adults. Good thing he didn't have a great relationship with them as youth either.
I'm a Ziontologist. I self identify as such.
_Everybody Wang Chung
_Emeritus

Re: The time my stake president chose the church over his ki

Post by _Everybody Wang Chung »

I've seen this happen time and time again in the Church. People putting their various callings ahead of their family, much to their family's detriment.

Some LDS are so clueless and screwed up in their priorities, they've even put their non-callings ahead of their family (Bill Hamblin, etc) and destroyed the same in the process.

Isn't it great? Isn't it marvelous?
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
_Simon Southerton
_Emeritus

Post by _Simon Southerton »

The Stake President who excommunicated me has seen most of his kids leave the church. You reap what you sow. If you put the church before your family they know it.
LDS apologetics --> "It's not the crime, it's the cover-up, which creates the scandal."
"Bigfoot is a crucial part of the ecosystem, if he exists. So let's all help keep Bigfoot possibly alive for future generations to enjoy, unless he doesn't exist." - Futurama
_Polygamy-Porter
_Emeritus

Post by _Polygamy-Porter »

Everybody Wang Chung wrote:I've seen this happen time and time again in the Church. People putting their various callings ahead of their family, much to their family's detriment.

Some LDS are so clueless and screwed up in their priorities, they've even put their non-callings ahead of their family (Bill Hamblin, etc) and destroyed the same in the process.

Isn't it great? Isn't it marvelous?

And.... you claim to be in this exact position as.... Bishop??
New name: Boaz
The most viewed "ignored" poster in Shady Acres® !
_Dr. Shades
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr. Shades »

Sanctorian wrote:When my stake president called me into his office to discuss my doubts, he gave me insight into the life he decided to live by dedicating himself to the church. . . What did he get for all his dedicated efforts to the Lord? His three boys eventually all left the church and he doesn't have a good relationship with them as adults.

I'm surprised he admitted that to you in a meeting whose intent was to discuss your doubts. How did he think that information was going to help you resolve them?
"Finally, for your rather strange idea that miracles are somehow linked to the amount of gay sexual gratification that is taking place would require that primitive Christianity was launched by gay sex, would it not?"

--Louis Midgley
_Sanctorian
_Emeritus

Post by _Sanctorian »

I think his point was to say you have to make a conscious decision to follow the Lord no matter the cost. And you're right, it didn't help me want to continue on with the church.
I'm a Ziontologist. I self identify as such.
_Dr Exiled
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr Exiled »

The church wants it's members to forsake all, including family for the false cause it proclaims. It becomes the de facto family ahead of the real family. Too bad for this stake president that he doesn't see it.
"Religion is about providing human community in the guise of solving problems that don’t exist or failing to solve problems that do and seeking to reconcile these contradictions and conceal the failures in bogus explanations otherwise known as theology." - Kishkumen 
_Johannes
_Emeritus

Post by _Johannes »

This isn't unusual among professional clergy in mainline churches either. It's not uncommon to find ministers saying, at least in private, that if they had their life over again they wouldn't have taken on the responsibilities of a family as well as the ministry.

Having said that, a lot of doctors and lawyers - and truck drivers and construction workers - would probably say the same too.