Otterson describes the Emperors new clothes.

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_consiglieri
_Emeritus

Re: Otterson describes the Emperors new clothes.

Post by _consiglieri »

Michael Otterson wrote:

"I don’t see boundaries in the same way as some commentators, who believe that the church today is simply battening down the hatches, rigidly resisting any change that seems progressive," he said. "That is an odd criticism of a church that believes in modern revelation through apostles and prophets, which in itself implies the ability to change or adapt — at least in organizational and structural terms. Rather, I acknowledge the right of leaders to establish boundaries for doctrine and behavior."

Otterson seems to give himself away at every turn.

He is correct that the belief in modern revelation does "imply" the "ability to change or adapt."

But that's all it does--imply.

This is one of the things that became clear to me over my decades of church membership.

While the church teaches ongoing revelation to modern prophets, they never seem to actually get around to receiving any.

This teaching is purely theoretical.

The actuality is a far cry from the theory.

Hence Otterson's insertion of the word "imply" can be seen as most telling.
You prove yourself of the devil and anti-mormon every word you utter, because only the devil perverts facts to make their case.--ldsfaqs (6-24-13)
_Philo Sofee
_Emeritus

Post by _Philo Sofee »

The church is building relationships with the LGBT community? It sure has a funny way of doing that. They must not perceive how the world sees their new policies. It's a fascinating case of blindness. But then it's probably difficult for them to get outside of Utah to see what real is. Oh yes I know they get all around the world spreading the gospel. But they take their Utah blinders with them pretending that is the ultimate reality and expecting the rest of the world to conform to it.
Dr CamNC4Me
"Dr. Peterson and his Callithumpian cabal of BYU idiots have been marginalized by their own inevitable irrelevancy defending a fraud."
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Post by _Maksutov »

Philo Sofee wrote:The church is building relationships with the LGBT community? It sure has a funny way of doing that. They must not perceive how the world sees their new policies. It's a fascinating case of blindness. But then it's probably difficult for them to get outside of Utah to see what real is. Oh yes I know they get all around the world spreading the gospel. But they take their Utah blinders with them pretending that is the ultimate reality and expecting the rest of the world to conform to it.

It's a Mormonese phrase, one of those ones that means the opposite, like "elder", "inspired" and "free agency". I wonder if Orwell was ever necrodunked? The church came first, so maybe he was "inspired" by them? Hmmmmm.... :confused:
"God" is the original deus ex machina. --Maksutov
_Philo Sofee
_Emeritus

Post by _Philo Sofee »

They were going to use or well as a Melchizedek priesthood lesson manual but Boyd K Packer squelched it. :biggrin:
Dr CamNC4Me
"Dr. Peterson and his Callithumpian cabal of BYU idiots have been marginalized by their own inevitable irrelevancy defending a fraud."
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Post by _I have a question »

Ottersons words are even more staggering when you review them against this weeks Mormon related news feed.
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Post by _Maksutov »

I have a question wrote:Ottersons words are even more staggering when you review them against this weeks Mormon related news feed.

They'd better hurry up with some kind of positive news campaign. Between HeartSell and Kirton/McConkie, I'm sure something will be revealed. :wink: DCP can announce it in his column.
"God" is the original deus ex machina. --Maksutov