Questions re Peterson, "Cloud Illusions and the Perfect Day"

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_The Erotic Apologist
_Emeritus

Re: Questions re Peterson, "Cloud Illusions and the Perfect

Post by _The Erotic Apologist »

palerobber wrote:color coded...

Daniel C. Peterson wrote:It’s also unimaginably vast. Its diameter, for instance, is approximately 864,938 miles (1.392 million kilometers). By contrast, Earth’s diameter is 7,917.5 miles (12,742 kilometers). You could line 109 Earths up across the face of the Sun. And the Sun’s circumference is about 2,713,406 miles (4,366,813 km). Again, that’s approximately 109 times the circumference of the Earth.

The mass of the Sun is 1.989 x 1030 [sic] kilograms, about 333,000 times the mass of the Earth. The total volume of the Sun is 1.4 x 1027 [sic] cubic meters. Thus, roughly 1.3 million Earths could fit inside it. The sun contains 99.8 percent of the mass of the entire solar system, leading astronomers Imke de Pater and Jack J. Lissauer, authors of the textbook Fundamental Planetary Sciences [sic], to refer to the solar system as merely “the sun plus some debris.”

Tim Sharp wrote:The mean radius of the sun is 432,450 miles (696,000 kilometers), which makes its diameter about 864,938 miles (1.392 million km). You could line up 109 Earths across the face of the sun. The sun's circumference is about 2,713,406 miles (4,366,813 km).

Mass and volume

The total volume of the sun is 1.4 x 10[^]27 cubic meters. About 1.3 million Earths could fit inside the sun. The mass of the sun is 1.989 x 10[^]30 kilograms, about 333,000 times the mass of the Earth. The sun contains 99.8 percent of the mass of the entire solar system, leading astronomers Imke de Pater and Jack J. Lissauer, authors of the textbook "Planetary Sciences," to refer to the solar system as "the sun plus some debris."

Okay, I'll see your color-coded Peterson plagiarism and raise you a Thoman S. Monson citing a Holocaust revisionist author (David Irving) in general conference...

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=35888&hilit=irving&start=0
Surprise, surprise, there is no divine mandate for the Church to discuss and portray its history accurately.
--Yahoo Bot

I pray thee, sir, forgive me for the mess. And whether I shot first, I'll not confess.
--Han Solo, from William Shakespeare's Star Wars
_Tom
_Emeritus

Post by _Tom »

Everybody Wang Chung wrote:DCP responds:
http://www.patheos.com/blogs/danpeterso ... today.html

The data that I cited are widely available, and not unique or proprietary to Tim Sharp’s article, which was simply a convenient source that came up first in a Google search. Nor is his particular language especially ususual.

I assume Dr. Peterson agrees that he should credit Sharp for the particular language in this sentence:

"The sun contains 99.8 percent of the mass of the entire solar system, leading astronomers Imke de Pater and Jack J. Lissauer, authors of the textbook Fundamental Planetary Sciences [sic], to refer to the solar system as merely 'the sun plus some debris.'"

Sharp: "The sun contains 99.8 percent of the mass of the entire solar system, leading astronomers Imke de Pater and Jack J. Lissauer, authors of the textbook 'Planetary Sciences,' to refer to the solar system as 'the sun plus some debris.'"
“A scholar said he could not read the Book of Mormon, so we shouldn’t be shocked that scholars say the papyri don’t translate and/or relate to the Book of Abraham. Doesn’t change anything. It’s ancient and historical.” ~ Hanna Seariac
_Chap
_Emeritus

Post by _Chap »

Prester John wrote:Oh, you're an insufferably glib character, aren't you?

Congratulations on stalking someone to try to catch him making a mistake.

You do know he has an email address, right? If this were a sincere question, why would you not just send him a private note?

No need to email Daniel Peterson to draw his attention to any reference to him on this board. He is ever present. Sometimes (you know what?) he even replies. Or if he doesn't, someone who is a stylistic clone of him replies instead. Same difference.

And, as other posters have pointed out, this was not a 'mistake'.

It was a truly lazy and sloppy 'cut and paste' job that enabled him to get credited for 'writing' something that in very large degree had already been written by somebody else, whose authorship he did not acknowledge. Where I come from, that's rude.
Zadok:
I did not have a faith crisis. I discovered that the Church was having a truth crisis.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Post by _I have a question »

plagiarism
ˈpleɪdʒərɪz(ə)m/
noun
noun: plagiarism; plural noun: plagiarisms
the practice of taking someone else's work or ideas and passing them off as one's own.
"there were accusations of plagiarism"
synonyms: copying, infringement of copyright, piracy, theft, stealing, poaching, appropriation; informalcribbing
"there were accusations of plagiarism"

Credit to Google for this definition.
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_Tator
_Emeritus

Post by _Tator »

Philo Sofee wrote:You know what I love? We could have learned all this from the Book of Mormon or the D&C if we had just read it with the Spirit. God wants us to have real knowledge, that's why he shares it with us through his prophets...... and the scriptures are the best place to get the fullest, most correct knowledge.

Philo, Philo, Philo there are over 10 thousand comedians out of work and here you go trying to be funny again. :biggrin:
a.k.a. Pokatator joined Oct 26, 2006 and permanently banned from MAD Nov 6, 2006
"Stop being such a damned coward and use your real name to own your position."
"That's what he gets for posting in his own name."
2 different threads same day 2 hours apart Yohoo Bat 12/1/2015
_Tom
_Emeritus

Post by _Tom »

Peterson comments:
The irritating thing here, to me, is that there's nothing particularly memorable or significant about Tim Sharp's specific phrasing in this passage. I just wanted the numbers, which are available at literally hundreds of places, online and elsewhere. His article simply came up first when I Googled something like "How large is the Sun?"

If, as he claims, Peterson "just wanted the numbers, which are available at literally hundreds of places, online and elsewhere," why did he copy the particular phrasing and reference in Sharp's sentence?

Sharp: "The sun contains 99.8 percent of the mass of the entire solar system, leading astronomers Imke de Pater and Jack J. Lissauer, authors of the textbook 'Planetary Sciences,' to refer to the solar system as 'the sun plus some debris.'"

Peterson: "The sun contains 99.8 percent of the mass of the entire solar system, leading astronomers Imke de Pater and Jack J. Lissauer, authors of the textbook Fundamental Planetary Sciences [sic], to refer to the solar system as merely 'the sun plus some debris.'"
Last edited by Guest on Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“A scholar said he could not read the Book of Mormon, so we shouldn’t be shocked that scholars say the papyri don’t translate and/or relate to the Book of Abraham. Doesn’t change anything. It’s ancient and historical.” ~ Hanna Seariac
_malkie
_Emeritus

Post by _malkie »

Tom wrote:Peterson comments:
The irritating thing here, to me, is that there's nothing particularly memorable or significant about Tim Sharp's specific phrasing in this passage. I just wanted the numbers, which are available at literally hundreds of places, online and elsewhere. His article simply came up first when I Googled something like "How large is the Sun?"

If, as he claims, Peterson "just wanted the numbers, which are available at literally hundreds of place, online and elsewhere," why did he copy the particular phrasing and reference in Sharp's sentence?

Peterson: "The sun contains 99.8 percent of the mass of the entire solar system, leading astronomers Imke de Pater and Jack J. Lissauer, authors of the textbook Fundamental Planetary Sciences [sic], to refer to the solar system as merely 'the sun plus some debris.'"

There's a lesson to be learned from this:
Writers who do not want to be plagiarized should take pains to ensure that SEO does not bring their writings to the top of the search page.
NOMinal member

Maksutov: "... if you give someone else the means to always push your buttons, you're lost."
_kairos
_Emeritus

Post by _kairos »

Wait a minute! Wait a minute! I want the dimensions of Kolub?

Danny I bet you can't google and get that information.
_palerobber
_Emeritus

Post by _palerobber »

Tom wrote:Peterson comments:

If, as he claims, Peterson "just wanted the numbers, which are available at literally hundreds of place, online and elsewhere," why did he copy the particular phrasing and reference in Sharp's sentence?

i think you're being generous to focus mainly on this one sentence. it's clear that he cut and pasted an entire section of text from Sharp and then lightly edited it.

inexcusable. but just imagine how much more he might steal from other writers were it not for the moral grounding provided by his faith.
_palerobber
_Emeritus

Post by _palerobber »

Everybody Wang Chung wrote:This is becoming a common occurrence with DCP.

is it? when has he done this before?

in his blog, DesNews column, or in his scholarly work?