Pass your operating costs onto your customers.

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Pass your operating costs onto your customers.

Post by _I have a question »

From the Temple Department, the newly offered ability for Church members to print ordinance cards at home before going to the temple to perform the ordinance work.

https://www.lds.org/church/news/church- ... _&lang=eng

Because all LDS homes have home printers, right?

I'm at a loss to see how this newly offered ability is of any benefit to the temple attendee?

“You may wonder why we have temple and missionary leaders here,” said Elder Bradley D. Foster, General Authority Seventy and assistant executive director of the Family History Department, as he opened the session. “The Revenue Pipeline work of salvation includes at least all of the following: member missionary work, retention, activation, temple, and family history work, and teaching our children the gospel.”
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Re: Pass your operating costs onto your customers.

Post by _Maksutov »

It's the modern corporate way. Which is inspired of God, of course. :lol:
"God" is the original deus ex machina. --Maksutov
_Dr Exiled
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr Exiled »

This reminds me of a friend's mother who worked for the church back in the early '90s. She was paid a mere $6.00 per hour working in the SLC Temple laundry and the church made sure her tithing was taken out with her paycheck. So, in reality, she was only making $5.40 per hour! This obviously forced her to seek government assistance - which the church detested. So, she was paid at below poverty level and made to feel guilty to boot! Hurray, the church is true!!!

My question is how much can the church suck out of the members? They pay 10%, go to church owned businesses like city creek, buy a church owned house in the south valley, clean the buildings, etc., etc. Well, the leadership may not be inspired as evidenced by the recent LGTB fiasco, however, they are certainly "inspired" businessmen.
"Religion is about providing human community in the guise of solving problems that don’t exist or failing to solve problems that do and seeking to reconcile these contradictions and conceal the failures in bogus explanations otherwise known as theology." - Kishkumen 
_Sethbag
_Emeritus

Post by _Sethbag »

Exiled wrote:My question is how much can the church suck out of the members? They pay 10%, go to church owned businesses like city creek, buy a church owned house in the south valley, clean the buildings, etc., etc. Well, the leadership may not be inspired as evidenced by the recent LGTB fiasco, however, they are certainly "inspired" businessmen.

They've mastered vendor lock in.
Mormonism ceased being a compelling topic for me when I finally came to terms with its transformation from a personality cult into a combination of a real estate company, a SuperPac, and Westboro Baptist Church. - Kishkumen