Scalped on the plains -- incidents in Mormon History

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Quasimodo
_Emeritus

Re: Scalped on the plains -- incidents in Mormon History

Post by _Quasimodo »

The Erotic Apologist wrote:The exposure was most likely no longer than three or four seconds, assuming it was made with the wet plate process. With wet collodion, the general rule of thumb is that it takes twice as long to produce a negative image (from which copies can be made) that it does to make a direct positive image, like a tintype.

I bow to an expert! I still believe it's a posed shot. :biggrin:

I haven't seen you around much lately, TEA. It's good to see you post. How are you doing?
This, or any other post that I have made or will make in the future, is strictly my own opinion and consequently of little or no value.

"Faith is believing something you know ain't true" Twain.
_The Erotic Apologist
_Emeritus

Post by _The Erotic Apologist »

Quasimodo wrote:
The Erotic Apologist wrote:The exposure was most likely no longer than three or four seconds, assuming it was made with the wet plate process. With wet collodion, the general rule of thumb is that it takes twice as long to produce a negative image (from which copies can be made) that it does to make a direct positive image, like a tintype.

I bow to an expert! I still believe it's a posed shot.

I haven't seen you around much lately, TEA. It's good to see you post. How are you doing?

Me, Mrs. The Erotic Apologist, TEA junior, and the spare are all doing great! Thanks for asking! I hope everything is good on your end of the woods, too. I've just too lazy to update my avatar image.

And you're right, it was most definitely a posed shot!
Surprise, surprise, there is no divine mandate for the Church to discuss and portray its history accurately.
--Yahoo Bot

I pray thee, sir, forgive me for the mess. And whether I shot first, I'll not confess.
--Han Solo, from William Shakespeare's Star Wars
_Yahoo Bot
_Emeritus

Post by _Yahoo Bot »

Thanks for the information! I always thought this was a picture of Almon (sp?) Babbit.
_grindael
_Emeritus

Post by _grindael »

On further reflection, I believe that it was a postcard, made after the event and someone wrote the "incidents" description on the front of it.
Riding on a speeding train; trapped inside a revolving door;
Lost in the riddle of a quatrain; Stuck in an elevator between floors.
One focal point in a random world can change your direction:
One step where events converge may alter your perception.
_Fence Sitter
_Emeritus

Post by _Fence Sitter »

Would anyone care to offer an opinion as to why someone would add the inscription?

Are they implying that the victim is Mormon or was attacked by Mormons or?
"Any over-ritualized religion since the dawn of time can make its priests say yes, we know, it is rotten, and hard luck, but just do as we say, keep at the ritual, stick it out, give us your money and you'll end up with the angels in heaven for evermore."
_Polygamy-Porter
_Emeritus

Post by _Polygamy-Porter »

Fence Sitter wrote:Would anyone care to offer an opinion as to why someone would add the inscription?

LDSFAPs great grandfather? :lol: :lol: :lol:
New name: Boaz
The most viewed "ignored" poster in Shady Acres® !
_Blixa
_Emeritus

Post by _Blixa »

Fence Sitter wrote:Would anyone care to offer an opinion as to why someone would add the inscription?

I don't know. Nothing in the time, place or image has any necessary connection. The information on the back is a mystery to me as well, as I've not been able to track down a volume by that name and author (to be far I haven't gone much beyond a bit of Google and baby databases). There's nothing in the accession notes to indicate where the archive acquired it from.

I could go request to see it, but what would that yeild? I don't have urgent business at the NYPL. If the book mentioned on the back exists then I suggest a look at page 273.
From the Ernest L. Wilkinson Diaries: "ELW dreams he's spattered w/ grease. Hundreds steal his greasy pants."
_NorthboundZax
_Emeritus

Post by _NorthboundZax »

Yahoo Bot wrote:Thanks for the information! I always thought this was a picture of Almon (sp?) Babbit.

Thanks for bringing him up. Another interesting bit of Mormon History I was unaware of.