My review for Uchtdorf in the October 2015 conference

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_grindael
_Emeritus

Re: My review for Uchtdorf in the October 2015 conference

Post by _grindael »

Hey Sammy,

Do you have faith that the sun is going to shine for another billion or so years? I do. (Barring some kind of freak cosmic accident of course). Those without religion can have and understand what faith is, don't you think? Or mebbe I'm wrong? I know I had faith in my Doctor the last time I went under the knife, and it all turned out well. :smile:
Riding on a speeding train; trapped inside a revolving door;
Lost in the riddle of a quatrain; Stuck in an elevator between floors.
One focal point in a random world can change your direction:
One step where events converge may alter your perception.
_canpakes
_Emeritus

Post by _canpakes »

Sammy Jankins wrote:
Brethren, let me be clear: there is nothing noble or impressive about being cynical. Skepticism is easy—anyone can do it. It is the faithful life that requires moral strength, dedication, and courage. Those who hold fast to faith are far more impressive than those who give in to doubt when mysterious questions or concerns arise.

From a Reddit contributor. I am not the author; I just find this to be an appropriate response:

"There is nothing noble or impressive about choosing ignorance. Ignorance is easy -- anyone can do it. It is the honest life that requires moral strength, dedication, and courage. Those who hold fast to honesty and integrity, even in the face of losing their cherished tradition and community, are far more impressive than those who give in to ignorance when challenging information and evidence arises."
_sock puppet
_Emeritus

Post by _sock puppet »

Sammy Jankins wrote:
There is no magic to belief. But wanting to believe is the necessary first step!

So you have to want to believe to be able to believe?

Wanting to believe is the prerequisite 'hallucinogen' for religious faith.
_sock puppet
_Emeritus

Post by _sock puppet »

fetchface wrote:It seems to me that there is a larger trend for these guys to reduce really complicated situations and issues into simple analogies that lock you into a single choice or conclusion at the end. And it has the side benefit of serving as a complete substitute for and taking away all need to discuss the actual complicated situation or issues.

I really hate this rhetorical trick and it seems to be all over the place lately. I mean, they have always done it, but is it more than normal right now?

Yeah, the FP/12 frequently reduce LDS truth claims to a simple dichotomy, black and white, and then their apologists complain that critics attack the LDS truth claims in the constructs of those simple dichotomies that the FP/12 layout for belief or not. Hinckley said either the LDS truth claims are true or the LDS church is perpetuating a fraud, then apologists claim is was just rhetorical flare, he didn't really mean it.

Thus, from the LDS perspective, it's simple to believe, but complicated not to.