Parallels between Lehite journey, Israelite exodus

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_zeezrom
_Emeritus

Re: Parallels between Lehite journey, Israelite exodus

Post by _zeezrom »

Okay maybe (MAYBE) Joseph skipped over the lineage chapters and the rules about Solomon's temple but come on. I can't even....

Just thinking about this topic is taking precious minutes from my life when I could be thinking about something with even a tiny amount of value. I feel so sorry for people that have to devote large chunks of their life to "studying" the Book of Mormon.
Oh for shame, how the mortals put the blame on us gods, for they say evils come from us, but it is they, rather, who by their own recklessness win sorrow beyond what is given... Zeus (1178 BC)

The Holy Sacrament.
_Zub Zool oan
_Emeritus

Post by _Zub Zool oan »

But the notion of the uneducated farm boy out on the frontier is a picture that we promoted in the discussions - at least the ones I gave in the early seventies and heard in the early sixties before my family converted. It has power and when one reads the uncorrected words Joseph Smith wrote, some people conclude that there was no way he could have done what he did without it being divine. Joseph Smith lived near the greatest engine of commerce of his time and it went right through Palmyra. It was the canal that enabled books, a variety of goods, news and whatnot so that Joseph had access to a myriad things in his world. The canal is a big part of New York being the economic powerhouse it became.
18 And the man said: The woman thou gavest me, and commandest that she should remain with me, she gave me of the fruit of the tree and I did eat. Moses 4:18
_sock puppet
_Emeritus

Post by _sock puppet »

zeezrom wrote:I feel so sorry for people that have to devote large chunks of their life to "studying" the Book of Mormon.

It's like a security blanket that they can't let go of.
_aussieguy55
_Emeritus

Post by _aussieguy55 »

But then Smith did not have access to Israel Finkelstein's book The Bible Unearthed which as an archaeologist argues that the Exodus and Conquest did not happen. No walls around Jericho. No wandering around the desert.

"The conclusion - that the Exodus did not happen at the time and in the manner described in the Bible - seems irrefutable when we examine the evidence at specific sites where the children of Israel were said to have camped for extended periods during their wandering in the desert(Numbers 33) and where some archaeological indication - if present - would almost certainly be found. According to the biblical narrative, the children of Israel camped at kadesh-barnea for thirty eight of the forty years of the wanderings. The general location of this place is clear from the description of the southern border of the land of Israel in Numbers 34. It has been identified by archaeologists with the large and well watered oasis of Ein el-Qudeirat in eastern Sinai, on the border of modern Israel and Egypt. ..... Yet repeated excavations and surveys throughout the entire area have not provided even the slightest evidence for activity in the Late Bronze Age, not even a single sherd left by a tiny fleeing band of frightened refugees" (P.63)
Hilary Clinton " I won the places that represent two-thirds of America's GDP.I won in places are optimistic diverse, dynamic, moving forward"
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

Adamites bore a striking resemblance to Pre-Adamites. That was more than just coincidence. It proved Professor Hugh Nibley was onto something.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_SteelHead
_Emeritus

Post by _SteelHead »

Moksha wins the interwebz today.
It is better to be a warrior in a garden, than a gardener at war.

Some of us, on the other hand, actually prefer a religion that includes some type of correlation with reality.
~Bill Hamblin
_ludwigm
_Emeritus

Post by _ludwigm »

SteelHead wrote:Moksha wins the interwebz today.

As always.

But ...
I should do a hard work to decode his (her? its?) texts...

Anyway, I learn English.
- Whenever a poet or preacher, chief or wizard spouts gibberish, the human race spends centuries deciphering the message. - Umberto Eco
- To assert that the earth revolves around the sun is as erroneous as to claim that Jesus was not born of a virgin. - Cardinal Bellarmine at the trial of Galilei