Looking into Angola (name from Book of Mormon)

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_moksha
_Emeritus

Looking into Angola (name from Book of Mormon)

Post by _moksha »

Slaves did not become free when they entered Ohio; the onerous Ohio Black Laws of 1807 precluded that. Slaves could lawfully be “reclaimed”. They were denied due process, denied a home in any county without bond for good behavior. The Society of Friends asked for repeal of the 1807 laws. During the Ohio Constitutional Convention of 1803 Ohio came within a few votes of becoming slave state. In 1823 Ohio passed the Ironclad Fugitive Slave Law.

The Maumee-Angola Road ran westward from Maumee/Toledo through Ottokee, Spring Hill (now Tedrow) and on to Angola, Indiana. It was the chief immigrant road west and a much used slave road east. We were told that the King station was an active station and both Lewis and Samuel Eckhart delivered ‘cargo’ to the King station and to the Philip Eicher station east of Delta, Ohio.

http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~ohfulton/UNDERGROUNDRAILROADOFNWOHIO.htm
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_just me
_Emeritus

Re: Looking into Angola (name from Book of Mormon)

Post by _just me »

Okay, I had to look up Angola in the Book of Mormon because I didn't remember it.
~Those who benefit from the status quo always attribute inequities to the choices of the underdog.~Ann Crittenden
~The Goddess is not separate from the world-She is the world and all things in it.~
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

Angola did not have to copied from the Angola, New York station. This African name was also given to other places along the underground railway route.

When looking at this, it made me wonder whether the Smiths would have been more likely to aid those escaping on the underground railroad or to report the runaway slaves. Were they more into civil rights or property rights?
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_SteelHead
_Emeritus

Post by _SteelHead »

Angola e
Angola
angola e Capoeira
Angola
Eu sou angoleiro.
It is better to be a warrior in a garden, than a gardener at war.

Some of us, on the other hand, actually prefer a religion that includes some type of correlation with reality.
~Bill Hamblin