Gays and blacks, WHY do you join and/or remain LDS??

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Polygamy-Porter
_Emeritus

Gays and blacks, WHY do you join and/or remain LDS??

Post by _Polygamy-Porter »

There are clear racial undertones in LDS theology an history.

Additionally, it is clear that LDS Inc does not tolerate "active" homosexual relationships.

http://www.sltrib.com/opinion/2641105-1 ... lege-of-my

I am just perplexed why the people who are most disparaged by LDS Inc, end up joining or remaining...
New name: Boaz
The most viewed "ignored" poster in Shady Acres® !
_Gunnar
_Emeritus

Re: Gays and blacks, WHY do you join and/or remain LDS??

Post by _Gunnar »

I am perplexed by that too. How can any Blacks who are fully aware of past LDS doctrinal views and discrimination concerning African Americans even begin to seriously consider converting to the Church?

I wonder, though, how many (if any) openly homosexual people convert to Mormonism. Do you know of any?
No precept or claim is more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.

“If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; but if you really make them think, they'll hate you.”
― Harlan Ellison
_Jesse Pinkman
_Emeritus

Post by _Jesse Pinkman »

Gunnar wrote:I am perplexed by that too. How can any Blacks who are fully aware of past LDS doctrinal views and discrimination concerning African Americans even begin to seriously consider converting to the Church?

I wonder, though, how many (if any) openly homosexual people convert to Mormonism. Do you know of any?

They would be crazy if they did.
So you're chasing around a fly and in your world, I'm the idiot?

"Friends don't let friends be Mormon." Sock Puppet, MDB.

Music is my drug of choice.

"And that is precisely why none of us apologize for holding it to the celestial standard it pretends that it possesses." Kerry, MDB

Post by _ludwigm »

Jesse Pinkman wrote:
Gunnar wrote:I am perplexed by that too. How can any Blacks who are fully aware of past LDS doctrinal views and discrimination concerning African Americans even begin to seriously consider converting to the Church?

They would be crazy if they did.
Skoptic syndrome—the wish to become a eunuch

See Skoptsy ...
The Skoptsy (Russian: скопцы, also transliterated as Skoptzy, Skoptzi, Skoptsi, Skopzi, Scoptsy, Skapetz and other spellings) were a secret sect in Tsarist Russia. The Skoptsy are best known for practicing castration of men and the mastectomy of women in accordance with their teachings against sexual lust.
They didn't know that the best way to increase the number of members is overpopulate the other sects...

Skoptsy-man and -woman with "greater seal" (this is something as second anointing) :
[#img] https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... _woman.jpg[/img] -
by the way male genitals and female breasts should not be censored on the picture; they was removed long before making the photos !
- Whenever a poet or preacher, chief or wizard spouts gibberish, the human race spends centuries deciphering the message. - Umberto Eco
- To assert that the earth revolves around the sun is as erroneous as to claim that Jesus was not born of a virgin. - Cardinal Bellarmine at the trial of Galilei
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Post by _I have a question »

Especially as racism is a theme fundamental to the narrative of the Church's keystone scriptures.

The Church has painted itself into a corner on this one.
If the racism in the Book of Mormon isn't removed the Church still has racism in its core doctrinal scriptures.
If the racism in the Book of Mormon is removed, the Church confirms the Book of Mormon isn't what it claims to be.

They are currently choosing to be a racist faith rather than a fake one.
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_Gunnar
_Emeritus

Post by _Gunnar »

I have a question wrote:

Especially as racism is a theme fundamental to the narrative of the Church's keystone scriptures.

The Church has painted itself into a corner on this one.
If the racism in the Book of Mormon isn't removed the Church still has racism in its core doctrinal scriptures.
If the racism in the Book of Mormon is removed, the Church confirms the Book of Mormon isn't what it claims to be.

They are currently choosing to be a racist faith rather than a fake one.

As usual, your comments make good sense to me. I don't see any way for the Church to escape that dilemma.
No precept or claim is more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.

“If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; but if you really make them think, they'll hate you.”
― Harlan Ellison