Right on Target!

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Re: Right on Target!

Post by _Kishkumen »

moksha wrote:Speaking for believers everywhere, we are giddy about Gidgidoni. It doesn't matter if we must make a stretch past any vowel shifts or alternate ways of interpreting this newly found evidence. Now we have additional verification and that puts us into a speak-to-the-hand euphoria. This will be a game changer for sure! I nominate Matt Roper to the Nauvoo Legion of Honor!!!

Giddy for Gidgiddoni!

Now there's a bumpersticker.

FAIR should jump on this wonderful marketing opportunity.

Knee-deep in Nahum?

Nah. Doesn't quite work.

Maybe for ex-Mormons.
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_Chap
_Emeritus

Post by _Chap »

Kishkumen wrote:
Chap wrote:So where did Smith get his vowels from?

Actually, the Book of Mormon was written in Egyptian, as the book itself states twice (once at the beginning of Nephi and the second time in Mosiah). And the vowels come from God, as they always have.

:wink: :lol:

Yup, since Egyptian didn't mark vowels either, the vowels have to be from God! So anybody who disagrees with a Book of Mormon vowel is criticizing Jesus' own pronunciation!

What chutzpah! But then, that's anti-mormons for you.
Zadok:
I did not have a faith crisis. I discovered that the Church was having a truth crisis.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
_scorndog
_Emeritus

Post by _scorndog »

Kishkumen wrote:Actually, the Book of Mormon was written in Egyptian, as the book itself states twice (once at the beginning of Nephi and the second time in Mosiah).

How about Mormon 9:32. That says the characters were Egyptian, so maybe "language of the Egyptians" just means the script, not the represented language. Even today we use language to mean symbols, and as I recall ancient grammarians and writers did the same thing. They didn't clearly distinguish.
_Tom
_Emeritus

Post by _Tom »

Thank you for sharing your very interesting and learned insights, Symmachus.

I do want to offer a extremely modest offering on the altar here by observing that John Gee, rather than Matt Roper, is the author of the blog post.
“A scholar said he could not read the Book of Mormon, so we shouldn’t be shocked that scholars say the papyri don’t translate and/or relate to the Book of Abraham. Doesn’t change anything. It’s ancient and historical.” ~ Hanna Seariac
_Sammy Jankins
_Emeritus

Post by _Sammy Jankins »

Thank you for this. As a non-expert it is often difficult to know what to make of the linguistic evidences provided by apologists. I enjoy hearing the other side.
_zeezrom
_Emeritus

Post by _zeezrom »

Kishkumen wrote:Actually, the Book of Mormon was written in Egyptian, as the book itself states twice (once at the beginning of Nephi and the second time in Mosiah). And the vowels come from God, as they always have.

I always believed it to be *reformed* with emphasis on reformed.

Mormon 9:32

32 And now, behold, we have written this record according to our knowledge, in the characters which are called among us the reformed Egyptian, being handed down and altered by us, according to our manner of speech.
Oh for shame, how the mortals put the blame on us gods, for they say evils come from us, but it is they, rather, who by their own recklessness win sorrow beyond what is given... Zeus (1178 BC)

The Holy Sacrament.
_zeezrom
_Emeritus

Post by _zeezrom »

Is "neo-Assyrian" the Assyrian of the late Iron Age or something?
Oh for shame, how the mortals put the blame on us gods, for they say evils come from us, but it is they, rather, who by their own recklessness win sorrow beyond what is given... Zeus (1178 BC)

The Holy Sacrament.
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

zeezrom wrote:Is "neo-Assyrian" the Assyrian of the late Iron Age or something?

Roughly 900-600 BCE, If I recall correctly.
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Post by _Maksutov »

Aw, c'mon. Petey Gidgiddoni lived down the street from me in Trenton. So it's Italian. So I think this really comes around to Tiro the Nephite. Easy peasy. :wink:
"God" is the original deus ex machina. --Maksutov
_zeezrom
_Emeritus

Post by _zeezrom »

Guys.

I'm wondering why nobody has considered Germanicus as the Giddgidoni of the Book of Mormon. As you all know, the book was not written in Latin but rather reformed Egyptian. Obviously, we wouldn't expect Germanicus to be spelled out for us.

The Holy Sacrament.