DN helps Stirling get career back on track...

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_I have a question
_Emeritus

DN helps Stirling get career back on track...

Post by _I have a question »

She also acknowledges that in the touring and music industry, "there aren’t many people who abide by those same (LDS) standards" that she tries to uphold. She's learned the importance of being "nonnegotiable."

"I’ve had to realize that I can’t make exceptions," she said. "… When I was in high school and college and I was traveling on a rare occasion on Sunday, I wouldn’t worry about going to church. But since that has become my life, that I’m always traveling and I’m always in strange places, I have to make it to church. It’s never convenient, like a lot of times I’m lost in random cities in Brazil, like last week, trying to find a church. I realize that is essential, and I start to lose sight of myself when I start to lose that."

Stirling said she and her crew "have created a very wholesome and healthy lifestyle that is nonnegotiable.

"If someone’s not OK with that, that person is probably not going to work out," she said. "Making standards is something everyone has to do, whether you are working an office job or you’re on tour all the time. It’s basically the same principle, even when nobody else is living it."

The high-profile Latter-day Saint performer recently received some online criticism for her wardrobe choice at the most recent Billboard Music Awards, with some debating whether the dress was modest or not. She responded on Instagram, saying "modesty is important to me."

"I make mistakes, and I am definitely not perfect, but I really am trying my best," she wrote.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/8656 ... tml?pg=all
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_malkie
_Emeritus

Re: DN helps Stirling get career back on track...

Post by _malkie »

That's nice - really.

But I doubt that it will do much to silence the chorus of critics.
NOMinal member

Maksutov: "... if you give someone else the means to always push your buttons, you're lost."
_Polygamy-Porter
_Emeritus

Post by _Polygamy-Porter »

Yep, I was right.

The majority of her fan base are Mormons.

Otherwise she wouldn't have given half of two craps about the gripes from the Mormon minority.
New name: Boaz
The most viewed "ignored" poster in Shady Acres® !
_ControlFreak
_Emeritus

Post by _ControlFreak »

Wow. Utah must really be hard up for news to still be discussing Lindsey Stirling's underwear. What a messed up culture.