The only 2 reasons anyone ever leaves the one true church!!!

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Re: The only 2 reasons anyone ever leaves the one true churc

Post by _I have a question »

Tobin wrote:IF there is a GOD, he's likely GREEN and not human. So it will be fun to watch all of your racist's heads explode.

If? You've met him. Was he green?
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_Sam Harris
_Emeritus

Post by _Sam Harris »

Pashaman, IHAQ, I'm dying. :lol:
Each one has to find his peace from within. And peace to be real must be unaffected by outside circumstances. -Ghandi
_Fence Sitter
_Emeritus

Post by _Fence Sitter »

Hello Sam and welcome back.

In my experience it is people who are still in the church who are much more concerned with explaining why some leave than those that have left.
I have never been asked by a non-LDS person why I no longer believe.
"Any over-ritualized religion since the dawn of time can make its priests say yes, we know, it is rotten, and hard luck, but just do as we say, keep at the ritual, stick it out, give us your money and you'll end up with the angels in heaven for evermore."
_Sam Harris
_Emeritus

Post by _Sam Harris »

Fence Sitter wrote:Hello Sam and welcome back.

In my experience it is people who are still in the church who are much more concerned with explaining why some leave than those that have left.
I have never been asked by a non-LDS person why I no longer believe.

Hey, Fence Sitter, and thanks. Yeah, you are right. If anything, those who knew me before I was LDS, gave a bit of a sigh of relief. Those I met afterward, can't believe it. Whatevs. Learning experience. It wasn't all bad. Not at all. But I can't be in a place that has issues with such an integral part of me. No dice.
Each one has to find his peace from within. And peace to be real must be unaffected by outside circumstances. -Ghandi
_Res Ipsa
_Emeritus

Post by _Res Ipsa »

Sam Harris wrote:Brad Hudson, that is by far the most reasonable response I have ever heard from someone who is LDS, over why someone would leave. And is, in my opinion, far more in line with the "milk" (before meat) aspect of the LDS Gospel. Some people in this church still need to be nursing, but they're gnawing on steaks with no teeth in their heads whatsoever.

When you find yourself no longer able to see the goodness and humanity of someone because they left the LDS church, then you are in far worse shape than you could ever imagine them to be.

Thanks. I'm all for reducing the damage that too often results when a member of a family decides to leave the fold. I heard of an old friend who was feeling like a failure because one or two of her kids had rejected the LDS church. It hurt just to think about it. One of the worst sayings promoted by the church is "no success can compensate for failure in the home." All that does is set millions of people up for feeling like failures over something they can't control.
​“The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated communist, but people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists.”

― Hannah Arendt, The Origins of Totalitarianism, 1951
_Res Ipsa
_Emeritus

Post by _Res Ipsa »

canpakes wrote:
Brad Hudson wrote:Why not instead encourage members to use the shelf strategy?[/quote
Some do, but things just kind of pile up after a while.

LOL! The thing is, this particular item weighs a ton when kept in the mind, but is light as a feather on the shelf... :wink:
​“The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated communist, but people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists.”

― Hannah Arendt, The Origins of Totalitarianism, 1951
_Sam Harris
_Emeritus

Post by _Sam Harris »

Brad Hudson wrote:
Sam Harris wrote:Brad Hudson, that is by far the most reasonable response I have ever heard from someone who is LDS, over why someone would leave. And is, in my opinion, far more in line with the "milk" (before meat) aspect of the LDS Gospel. Some people in this church still need to be nursing, but they're gnawing on steaks with no teeth in their heads whatsoever.

When you find yourself no longer able to see the goodness and humanity of someone because they left the LDS church, then you are in far worse shape than you could ever imagine them to be.

Thanks. I'm all for reducing the damage that too often results when a member of a family decides to leave the fold. I heard of an old friend who was feeling like a failure because one or two of her kids had rejected the LDS church. It hurt just to think about it. One of the worst sayings promoted by the church is "no success can compensate for failure in the home." All that does is set millions of people up for feeling like failures over something they can't control.

Yeah. My God is an understanding god, not so I can go splay my legs willy-nilly, but because I just know there has been a witness to the abuse I have endured in my life. I know when I've been kept. I know why I am here in Utah. I am blessed, and I believe that this is an answer to prayer. I wish I could post a video of my son, before and after the move. Night and day. I don't have a smartphone (my phone is a little delayed, LOL), but if I did, I'd show everyone exactly why I'm here. He's my everything.
_Polygamy-Porter
_Emeritus

Post by _Polygamy-Porter »

Tobin wrote:IF there is a GOD, he's likely GREEN and not human. So it will be fun to watch all of your racist's heads explode.

Tobin's world view:

New name: Boaz
The most viewed "ignored" poster in Shady Acres® !