DN Q&A With Oaks

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_I have a question
_Emeritus

DN Q&A With Oaks

Post by _I have a question »

DN: Why should protecting religious freedom matter to people who identify themselves as non-believers or non-religious?

Elder Oaks: “The equality of life in a society is enhanced with religious freedom and the teaching of religious principles. Whether a person is a believer or not, they enjoy the value of people believing in and practicing their religion."

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/8656 ... -duty.html

Hmmm, In what way(s) is a non believing gay persons life enhanced by the teaching that Mormons are within their rights to discriminate against them solely on the basis of their skin colour sexuality?

In what way(s) will the teaching and the practice of Sharia Law enhance my society?

I suspect Oaks doesn't mean 'religious principles' but rather is silently meaning 'religious principles that conform to Mormon principles'.

DN: What can a person do, in any part of the world, to protect his or her religious freedom?

Elder Oaks: “He or she needs to practice their religion and also look for opportunities to speak for the freedom of religion for all people — not just for Mormons, but for all people.”

So Oaks is advocating for and in behalf of the FLDS to be free to practice their religion?

Then Oaks lets the cat out of the bag...
Elder Oaks: “It’s our desire to deliver our [gospel] message to people with minimum interference on our missionaries, and on our members, as they practice the commandments of their faith.
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')