It is currently Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:41 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Kate Kelly needs a new laptop....
PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 1:06 am 
God

http://www.gofundme.com/sjkfpg

Quote:
My laptop has been on the brink for several weeks & it has finally died. I took it to the Mac store & the 'genius' said it would be several hundred dollars to fix & since it's so old it will continue to have issues. The repair would also take over a week & I'll be going back to Kenya next week. He suggested I buy a new laptop. (I have had them do difficult repairs before, so I know that's not always what they suggest.)

LOATHE asking for money and cannot think of something I'd less like to do, but I recently had to pay an unexpected ticket of over $1,000 to fly home to Utah to see my dad after open-heart surgery & this is the worst possible time for my laptop to die on me. I don't have the cash to use to replace it.

If you have a few bucks to spare, please donate. It not, please share this campaign. I will use this new laptop for my gender justice work, both as an activist & professionally (and to watch RuPaul's Drag Race online and obessively follow wax-print fashion blogs, of course).

I *need* a new laptop. The laptop I *want* to purchase is an 11-inch MacBook Air. Are there cheaper laptops out there? Yes. (note the use of the word 'want'). The MacBook Air fits my needs best for several reasons:

Is this a joke or a scam by someone who isn't Kate Kelly?

(Fence Sitter, Wed Sep 05, 2018 2:20pm)

Post subject: Re: Kate Kelly needs a new laptop....
PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 3:58 am 
Founder & Visionary

Kate Kelly wrote:
I don't have the cash to use to replace it.

Couldn't she just swipe a credit card?

--kairos, 08-08-2018

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:41 am 
God

Dr. Shades wrote:
Kate Kelly wrote:
I don't have the cash to use to replace it.

Couldn't she just swipe a credit card?

Apple allow people to purchase items on credit.
Plus Kelly and her husband now have ten percent more disposable income than they had a few months ago, use that.

(Fence Sitter, Wed Sep 05, 2018 2:20pm)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:50 am 
the very elect

$1,633 of $1,448
Raised by 60 people in 1 day

Wow, that was quick!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 6:04 am 
God

I have a question wrote:

Apple allow people to purchase items on credit.
Plus Kelly and her husband now have ten percent more disposable income than they had a few months ago, use that.

I think that as a lawyer, she does have money. Also, her husband. I don't think that they are living in povety. If true about her request, she should be ashamed herself.

We are “to feed the hungry, to clothe the naked, to provide for the widow, to dry up the tear of the orphan, to comfort the afflicted, whether in this church, or in any other, or in no church at all…”
Joseph Smith

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 6:50 am 
God

" Uh my wife just quit working and I uh can't keep the battery up or energize her-So I loathe to ask for a new wife but I don't have anything to get a new one, So uh I want a new wife like the beauty on SI's cover or anyone inside and uh uh if you could donate uh uh a pix and reference uh uh I would appreciate it soon.

After I get a new wife I will list my wife on Craig's list under used household goods-free for pickup!!!"

just joshin Kate! :wink:

by the way not to be accused of gender discrimination change wife to husband in your version and change SI to men's health or the Ensign if you dare!

(my wife approves of this advertisement - your mileage may vary!)

k

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:13 am 
God

Last edited by CameronMO on Mon Jun 01, 2015 6:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:17 am 
Founder & Visionary

CameronMO wrote:
I have no idea of her particular situation, but if you think lawyer=money, you have absolutely no idea about that portion of the market right now.

Since when does "lawyer" ≠ "money?"

--kairos, 08-08-2018

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:20 am 
God

Dr. Shades wrote:
CameronMO wrote:
I have no idea of her particular situation, but if you think lawyer=money, you have absolutely no idea about that portion of the market right now.

Since when does "lawyer" ≠ "money?"

Since ~September 15, 2008.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:23 am 
God

Equality wrote:
Since ~September 15, 2008.

Gee, most of the lawyers I know don't even practice law. I don't even want to think about their student loan payments!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:36 am 
God

Quote:
My laptop has been on the brink for several weeks & it has finally died. I took it to the Mac store & the 'genius' said it would be several hundred dollars to fix & since it's so old it will continue to have issues. The repair would also take over a week & I'll be going back to Kenya next week. He suggested I buy a new laptop. (I have had them do difficult repairs before, so I know that's not always what they suggest.)

LOATHE asking for money and cannot think of something I'd less like to do, but I recently had to pay an unexpected ticket of over $1,000 to fly home to Utah to see my dad after open-heart surgery & this is the worst possible time for my laptop to die on me. I don't have the cash to use to replace it.

If you have a few bucks to spare, please donate. It not, please share this campaign. I will use this new laptop for my gender justice work, both as an activist & professionally (and to watch RuPaul's Drag Race online and obessively follow wax-print fashion blogs, of course).

I *need* a new laptop. The laptop I *want* to purchase is an 11-inch MacBook Air. Are there cheaper laptops out there? Yes. (note the use of the word 'want'). The MacBook Air fits my needs best for several reasons:

If this is legit ........ This is bizarre!

Peace,
Ceeboo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:22 am 
God

I'm okay donating where there is real need. I donated to a fund for John McLay a couple of years ago and was happy to do so to help a guy get back on his feet. But this appeal from Kate Kelly is basically just a letter to Santa Claus.

Unfortunately, this sort of thing is becoming more common. Buying Jeremy a taco has now morphed into paying him a salary to work on the CES letter full time. John Dehlin funded his Ph.D. program with donations from listeners. But at least Runnels and Dehlin have an actual product. Kelly's promise to use the laptop for "gender justice work" and watching RuPaul's Drag Race seems sketchier.

I hope she gets her $1000 laptop, but I won't be contributing. (How good is the broadband in Zimbabwe anyway?)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:37 am 
God

Last edited by CameronMO on Mon Jun 01, 2015 6:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:44 am 
God

She wants a MacBook Air, but she can't afford it. I guess I don't understand Mac users. They pay a premium for an Apple logo and OSX. I've never liked using OSX. People say once you use a Mac you will never go back to Windows, but I use both Windows and Mac at work and I hate using the Mac.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 2:44 pm 
God

I would have guessed that dilbert's family were pc/windows users.

Shows what i know, nothing.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 3:53 pm 
God

Nevo wrote:
I'm okay donating where there is real need. I donated to a fund for John McLay a couple of years ago and was happy to do so to help a guy get back on his feet. But this appeal from Kate Kelly is basically just a letter to Santa Claus.

Unfortunately, this sort of thing is becoming more common. Buying Jeremy a taco has now morphed into paying him a salary to work on the CES letter full time. John Dehlin funded his Ph.D. program with donations from listeners. But at least Runnels and Dehlin have an actual product. Kelly's promise to use the laptop for "gender justice work" and watching RuPaul's Drag Race seems sketchier.

I hope she gets her $1000 laptop, but I won't be contributing. (How good is the broadband in Zimbabwe anyway?)

I think it's great for people to donate their money to people or causes they support, and it's cool the internet makes it easy to do so.

The weird thing for me is how someone gets to the point that they'll ask. I can see someone asking for donations when they're providing a good or service (like Dehlin was), but I'm mystified what Kate Kelly thought people would be donating to her for. Is it anything other than pity? And if so, what is the thought process? "Gee, there might be enough people out there who feel sorry for me that they'll donate money for me to buy an overpriced laptop."

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 4:47 pm 
Has More Degrees Than Droopy

Location: Cassius University: Ho Chi Minh Professor of American Military History
"I need a laptop so that I can watch Netflix and shop on Amazon. :( If you don't get me a laptop I might develop a stutter. Puh-puh-puh-please help me get an Apple MacBook that costs $1200."

Sincerely,

A ____ asshole

MASH quotes
I peeked in the back [of the Bible] Frank, the Devil did it.
I avoid church religiously.
This isn't one of my sermons, I expect you to listen.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 4:48 pm 
Has More Degrees Than Droopy

Location: Cassius University: Ho Chi Minh Professor of American Military History
Also go to ____ Walmart and get a 350$ Asus if you're hard up.

MASH quotes
I peeked in the back [of the Bible] Frank, the Devil did it.
I avoid church religiously.
This isn't one of my sermons, I expect you to listen.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 4:57 pm 
God

cinepro wrote:
The weird thing for me is how someone gets to the point that they'll ask. I can see someone asking for donations when they're providing a good or service (like Dehlin was), but I'm mystified what Kate Kelly thought people would be donating to her for. Is it anything other than pity? And if so, what is the thought process? "Gee, there might be enough people out there who feel sorry for me that they'll donate money for me to buy an overpriced laptop."

I remember the scene in Cinderella Man when Russell Crowe's James Braddock passes his hat around a room full of boxing bigwigs in the midst of the Great Depression. It's excruciating to watch. Braddock can't get work and his family has nothing to eat. He only endures the humiliation because his kids are starving.

Kelly said that she was loath to ask for money (that's de rigueur in these sorts of appeals) but I don't really believe her. The fact, though, is that people want to give. There's an altruistic instinct and Kelly cannily tapped into that. Lots of people do feel sorry for her. And she ended up with a new laptop in the bargain. At least she had the decency to shut down the page after her goal was reached.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:05 pm 
Regional Representative

cinepro wrote:
I think it's great for people to donate their money to people or causes they support, and it's cool the internet makes it easy to do so.

Well it worked. She got a nice new laptop and didn't have to pay for it, or promise anything in return.

My thought is that people donated money because she gave the LDS Church a black eye, and they like her.

Bond James Bond wrote:
Also go to f*****g Walmart and get a 350$ Asus if you're hard up.

Lets see, she can get a $1,000 computer for free just by asking strangers for money, or pay $350 for a cheap computer.

Last edited by Jaybear on Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:05 pm 
God

Nevo wrote:
I remember the scene in Cinderella Man when Russell Crowe's James Braddock passes his hat around a room full of boxing bigwigs in the midst of the Great Depression. It's excruciating to watch. Braddock can't get work and his family has nothing to eat. He only endures the humiliation because his kids are starving.

Kelly said that she was loath to ask for money (that's de rigueur in these sorts of appeals) but I don't really believe her. The fact, though, is that people want to give. There's an altruistic instinct and Kelly cannily tapped into that. Lots of people do feel sorry for her. And she ended up with a new laptop in the bargain. At least she had the decency to shut down the page after her goal was reached.

And yet when a GA gets up in conference and speaks with great emotion about the dirt poor widow living in an impoverished nation who pays her tithing before feeding her children, everyone is moved by the spirit. Funny how we are culturally tuned to see someone begging for money for a small luxury item as strange or weird but we don't blink when a multi-billion dollar organization uses examples of starving people paying tithing to guilt members into paying tithing.

"The lives we lead now are not dress rehearsals, they are the only performance we have. Therefore what matters is what we have here, the people we know and and love and the good we can do for the world"
Sean Carroll