Adult or Grown Up & Fowler's Stage 5

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Gunnar
_Emeritus

Re: Adult or Grown Up & Fowler's Stage 5

Post by _Gunnar »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:Is Amore male? If so, I'll make an edit. I thought for some reason Amore was female.

- Doc

You thought right, Doctor Cam. Based on Amore's mention of having a husband and strong disapproval of SSM, she is almost certainly female.
No precept or claim is more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.

“If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; but if you really make them think, they'll hate you.”
― Harlan Ellison
_Chap
_Emeritus

Post by _Chap »

Looking back on this thread:

Amore wrote:My son asked a profound question...
"What is the difference between an adult and a grown up?"

Context: he asked this while I was explaining fowler's stages of faith development.

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote: Ms. Amore,

How old is your son, and why were you discussing James Fowler with him?

Amore wrote:docCamn,

It's not your place to ask why I parent as I do and my son's age is none of your business. I find your questions about him creepy.

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Amore wrote:docCamn,

It's not your place to ask why I parent as I do and my son's age is none of your business. I find your questions about him creepy.

You are mistaken about Fowler. Read up before giving more strange comments.

Hello Ms. Amore,

Well, I find your absolute dismal parenting by pimping out your son to make a theological point predator-like. *shudders* ETA: You can't trot your family out into a public forum, and then mew about them being part of the topic. I was curious why in the world would you be discussing doctorate level philosophy with a kid.

I do think it was strange of Amore to react as she did to the simple and politely phrased question about the age of her son, and why she was discussing Fowler with him. The question was in no way creepy.

I can understand Doctor C's irritation at her reaction, and I would agree that "You can't trot your family out into a public forum, and then mew about them being part of the topic".

However, I think his use of the term 'pimping out' to describe Amore's initial reference was, well, not very eirenic.
Zadok:
I did not have a faith crisis. I discovered that the Church was having a truth crisis.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
_Gray Ghost
_Emeritus

Post by _Gray Ghost »

Amore wrote:Maybe it could be seen that way, but that's from a perspective that orthodox is the ideal standard to measure by.

I like stage 5 and on because it's applicable to various belief systems and it seems at harmonizing reason (logic) and spirituality (intuition).

This quote from Community kind of gets at what I was trying to say:

“Fives have lives, fours have chores, threes have fleas, twos have blues, and ones don’t get a rhyme because they’re garbage.”
_Amore
_Emeritus

Post by _Amore »

Chap,
At least you realized how weird docCam's comments were, and didn't join in like a blind following pack of wolves in putting me down as much as some have.

This thread really demonstrates how many are stuck in stage 4 skepticism, besides rudeness and immaturity. Sad but it's not my problem others want to wallow in poisonous anger.

I'm not perfect and I realize I could've explained better, and I apologize for that. Still, I meet politeness with politeness. Many here see someone who in the past they disagreed with and go into attack mode even when that someone isn't trying to attack them. I know it's not me - it's them - because I've seen them do this to others they disagree with too. It's a different cult mentality, but same tactics - shaming, shunning or manipulating (even in parenting) a forced adhering belief.

Again - you can easily take a guy out of a cult, but not so easily take the cult out of the guy. This is kind-of how Fowler described stage 4. Not a fun place to be, but I know how easy it is to get stuck there.
_Amore
_Emeritus

Post by _Amore »

Gray Ghost wrote:
Amore wrote:Maybe it could be seen that way, but that's from a perspective that orthodox is the ideal standard to measure by.

I like stage 5 and on because it's applicable to various belief systems and it seems at harmonizing reason (logic) and spirituality (intuition).

This quote from Community kind of gets at what I was trying to say:

“Fives have lives, fours have chores, threes have fleas, twos have blues, and ones don’t get a rhyme because they’re garbage.”

It seems that those loners who are not in a herd or group are those in stage 5 and on, not those who join in Theistic or anti-theistic ideologies (stages 3 & 4).

It's a narrow way that few find because most don't want to cut through new territory but would rather follow the beaten path which tells them exactly who God is or isn't rather than considering God to be a process fulfilling itself - eternal in reasonable and intuitive principle but dynamic in expression.

Take care.
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

Amore wrote:Chap,
At least you realized how weird docCam's comments were, and didn't join in like a blind following pack of wolves in putting me down as much as some have.

This thread really demonstrates how many are stuck in stage 4 skepticism, besides rudeness and immaturity. Sad but it's not my problem others want to wallow in poisonous anger.

I'm not perfect and I realize I could've explained better, and I apologize for that. Still, I meet politeness with politeness. Many here see someone who in the past they disagreed with and go into attack mode even when that someone isn't trying to attack them. I know it's not me - it's them - because I've seen them do this to others they disagree with too. It's a different cult mentality, but same tactics - shaming, shunning or manipulating (even in parenting) a forced adhering belief.

Again - you can easily take a guy out of a cult, but not so easily take the cult out of the guy. This is kind-of how Fowler described stage 4. Not a fun place to be, but I know how easy it is to get stuck there.

Hello Ms. Amore,

Chap didn't think it was weird in the least you daft mouthbreather.

For those lurkers who are unfamiliar with Dr. Fowler's Stages of Faith: The Psychology of Human Develoment and the Quest for Meaning, 1981. (Harper San Francisco), here you go:

James Fowler's Stages of Faith Development

Dr. Fowler developed six stages a person might go through as they mature through adulthood. He was not referring literally to religious faith, but that faith might be a component since the people interviewed generally had developed a faith of one sort or another.

Stage 1- You're a baby. You don't have faith. Trust and understanding develop, depending on the parent, and the building blocks of faith are formed. Imagination is formed, and the trust in adults combined with the child's imagination creates faith.

Stage 2- You're a kid. You're trying to figure out truth from un-truth. Your faith in adults impact your ability to perceive reality. Your imagination helps conceptualize their stories of faith. You believe in and can conceptualize Santa Claus because adults tell you he exists. You eventually disbelieve because you figure out they're full of crap.

Stage 3-You're a teenager or an extended adolescent. Most people don't progress beyond this point because they're stupid.

Dr. Fowler comes right out and says religious institutions work best if the majority of their congregation is in Stage 3. Something about keeping your mind like that of a child's is probably important to understand.

Stage 4- You're a Young Adult or a pre-midlife crisis Adult

This is where you see most people start to really question their realities. From politics to religion the thinking adult realizes others' perspectives are either not very thoughtful or a manipulation. The Self (ego) encounters an existential crisis (they're sad) and must create its own morality (good faith). If the Self chooses not to confront its own perceptions of reality then regression is inevitable. Dr. Fowler thinks it's possible to become overly reliant on the critical mind, and not take into account "unconcious forces" that influence one's Self-development.

Stage 5- You're older now, and probably wiser. 40's-60's.

You realize everything exists in a grey area. You realize you don't have all the answers. You're thoughtful and reflective. You seek understanding and are willing to engage others to increase your own understanding of reality (faith) to better Your Self (ego).

Dr. Fowler is a strong proponent of getting away from mythology & black/white thinking. In context to traditional faith, not faith defined as your perception of reality, Dr. Fowler thinks a Stage 5'er has moved away from literal thinking to that of metaphor and symbolism in order to make sense of their reality. The faith aspect, as it were, is the Self is attempting to understand Its Self, Others, and the World through symbolism. They realize reality, as it is, is very different from how the Self would like reality to be.

Stage 6- You're Gandhi or perhaps a Buddhist Monk.

They help others achieve enlightenment.

-----------------

As you can see Ms. Amore completely and fundamentally misunderstands Dr. Fowler's work, has no conceptual grasp of the material, and when asked what her point was couldn't form a basic thought to share with the community. Instead, and predictably, she lashed out because her insecurity of being exposed as a know-nothing on the subject was too much to bear. In her typical Stage 3 reaction, the extended adolescent Ms. Amore lacks the ability to be introspective and would rather enforce her narrative onto others using material that she hopes would make her look smarter than she really is. She's most likely regressing to a Stage 2 mental state. Her only hope is to take this exchange, be introspective about it, and begin to question her faith, as it were, and continue to develop into a Stage 4 adult.

I'm not hopeful.

V/R
Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_SteelHead
_Emeritus

Post by _SteelHead »

Well given he repeated demonstrations of black and white thinking, I noted the irony of this OP several pages back.
It is better to be a warrior in a garden, than a gardener at war.

Some of us, on the other hand, actually prefer a religion that includes some type of correlation with reality.
~Bill Hamblin
_just me
_Emeritus

Post by _just me »

When I was going through my faith journey (ugh, sorry for the cliché) I thought myself to be at or nearing Stage 5. I also was briefly working towards enlightenment and whatever that thing is that Eckhart Tolle talks about. I read LOTS and lots of books on spirituality.

I also got very turned off from the whole enlightenment movement VERY quickly when I went on a forum and found that they were just as stuck up as every one else. Sitting in judgement of who was *actually* enlightened or capable of Being in the Moment and who wasn't. Elitism is what drove me away from LDSism and it is what drove me away from pretty much every other religious/spiritual path I came across.

For some time, I enjoyed spiritual symbols and paganism. Then, I kinda got over it. I just found that i didn't have the need or the time for it. I needed to move on with other things in my life. I still have my books. I still have some of my altar items.

Anyway, a grown up is someone who pays their own bills and is responsible for themselves.
~Those who benefit from the status quo always attribute inequities to the choices of the underdog.~Ann Crittenden
~The Goddess is not separate from the world-She is the world and all things in it.~
_Amore
_Emeritus

Post by _Amore »

Justme,
Excellent summary of a grown up - one who's responsible.
Response-able/ability to respond - is not only more logical, it's also more empowering than shifting blame or response-ability to someone else.