Teen perspective of Church Press Conference

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_just me
_Emeritus

Teen perspective of Church Press Conference

Post by _just me »

I asked my son what he believed discrimination was today and it started a conversation about the current events regarding this topic.

He brought up the press conference. They watched it in seminary. I asked him what he thought the church position on discrimination is. His reply was that the church is calling for tolerance of people who are different and have different beliefs, religions, etc. He thought it was a good message.

He seems to have a "live and let live" attitude and I'm sure that is what he thinks is the official church position.

We talked about the different court cases and about the fact that serving someone is not the same as condoning their religion, sexuality or anything else about them. He doesn't think a photographer should refuse to shoot a wedding with two husbands. He said he would do it, but probably be a little uncomfortable. I said that was fair and that he would probably be uncomfortable at lots of weddings not of his culture. He also didn't see the big deal with a baker making the cake and putting two grooms on top. That actually surprised me.

We talked about some other examples and I talked about how some of the examples used are never going to happen and used as a fear tactic, etc.

I really don't think what the church actually says is as important as what the members think they said. I'd be interested to know what chapel TBM adults think the church message was.
~Those who benefit from the status quo always attribute inequities to the choices of the underdog.~Ann Crittenden
~The Goddess is not separate from the world-She is the world and all things in it.~
_sock puppet
_Emeritus

Re: Teen perspective of Church Press Conference

Post by _sock puppet »

just me wrote:I really don't think what the church actually says is as important as what the members think they said. I'd be interested to know what chapel TBM adults think the church message was.

Your son's perception is of worthy note. What Oaks, Holland, Christofferson and Neill Marriott said is one thing, and was pretty clearly a negotiating offer--tit for tat--give us religions a wide berth, an untouchable in American society in exchange for and as a balance against such an "offensive" thing as passing laws that protect LGBTs. It is quite another spin on that for it to be sold to rank-and-file members with a sound bite that the LDS Church is for tolerance.

Since it is extremely likely that I'll encounter 'members' much more than any of the FP/12, it is more important what the members think than what was said at the press conference. On the other hand, as to what the Utah and other state legislatures might pass, what was said at the press conference will be much more pertinent than what the members think was said.
_just me
_Emeritus

Re: Teen perspective of Church Press Conference

Post by _just me »

sock puppet wrote:
Since it is extremely likely that I'll encounter 'members' much more than any of the FP/12, it is more important what the members think than what was said at the press conference. On the other hand, as to what the Utah and other state legislatures might pass, what was said at the press conference will be much more pertinent than what the members think was said.

So true.
~Those who benefit from the status quo always attribute inequities to the choices of the underdog.~Ann Crittenden
~The Goddess is not separate from the world-She is the world and all things in it.~