Principles to Govern Possible Public Statement...gays/Oaks

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_just me
_Emeritus

Principles to Govern Possible Public Statement...gays/Oaks

Post by _just me »

Does anyone know if this is legit or anything else about it? It purports to be a memo from Oaks in 1984.

http://hwcdn.libsyn.com/p/9/1/3/913d6fe ... 28ca41545f
~Those who benefit from the status quo always attribute inequities to the choices of the underdog.~Ann Crittenden
~The Goddess is not separate from the world-She is the world and all things in it.~
_RAJ
_Emeritus

Re: Principles to Govern Possible Public Statement...gays/Oa

Post by _RAJ »

Wow.

I've just read it in its entirety and I too am interested in whether it can be verified.

I'll withhold any further opinion unless and until it can actually be verified. I will say this, though; it feels authentic. It appears to be a perfect roadmap to how the institutional church has behaved and contains Oaks references and quotes that I've encountered elsewhere.

Anyway, I'm interested in any further information on it too.
_just me
_Emeritus

Post by _just me »

It can be found in various places on the internet. I saw it in John Dehlin's Facebook feed.

http://www.ldspapers.faithweb.com/

It's used as a source for a FAIR presentation (or whatever) here: http://www.fairmormon.org/perspectives/ ... ual-desire

I guess it's real.
~Those who benefit from the status quo always attribute inequities to the choices of the underdog.~Ann Crittenden
~The Goddess is not separate from the world-She is the world and all things in it.~
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Post by _Maksutov »

just me wrote:Does anyone know if this is legit or anything else about it? It purports to be a memo from Oaks in 1984.

http://hwcdn.libsyn.com/p/9/1/3/913d6fe ... 28ca41545f

That's fascinating. Thanks for posting it. Now, is it real and did Oaks actually write it or commission it? If it is real, it's his briefing on the church's position, a significant source document. Beyond the content, it shows how ideas are communicated among the leadership and decisions developed.
"God" is the original deus ex machina. --Maksutov
_RAJ
_Emeritus

Post by _RAJ »

I guess it's real.

It would appear so. -- There's nothing really surprising here, given the church's basic assumptions re: sex and homosexuality -- (rather embarrassing, sure, considering the Western world's social evolution on LGBT issues), but it is bracing to see it laid out in such a clear, articulate, strategic, and coherent manner.

The thinking is archaic and the positions they've staked out have, in due time, just made them look worse and worse. I pity them.

One last thing; My husband and I are both teachers and if I cared, even one iota what they thought, I could be really insulted by this memo -- except, really, I'm just sad for them.
_just me
_Emeritus

Post by _just me »

RAJ wrote: I'm just sad for them.

Yeah.

I found it a very interesting read. I questioned its authenticity because it seems a little too perfect. But, it mostly just confirms what we already know about LDS leadership.

I guess I find it so strange that Oaks cannot see his own hypocrisy. Although, I guess that's to be expected.