Laffertys influenced family suicide

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Sanctorian
_Emeritus

Laffertys influenced family suicide

Post by _Sanctorian »

http://m.ksl.com/index/story/sid/33282357

Lafferty sees himself as the prophet Elijah with responsibility to prepare the world for the second coming. He has few followers, but he says the Stracks were, at least for a time, believers.

KSL has been very careful not to call this family Mormon, but if they aren't Mormon, why would they believe the lafferty's after reading under the banner of heaven? Seems to me this family had all the signs the book talks about. Personal revelation from God instructing them to kill themselves? An interesting twist to the tragedy. I'm sure dateline will run with it at some point.
I'm a Ziontologist. I self identify as such.
_ludwigm
_Emeritus

Re: Laffertys influenced family suicide

Post by _ludwigm »

Sanctorian wrote:http://m.ksl.com/index/story/sid/33282357
KSL has been very careful not to call this family Mormon, but if they aren't Mormon, why would they ...
... named their youngest child Zion?
- Whenever a poet or preacher, chief or wizard spouts gibberish, the human race spends centuries deciphering the message. - Umberto Eco
- To assert that the earth revolves around the sun is as erroneous as to claim that Jesus was not born of a virgin. - Cardinal Bellarmine at the trial of Galilei
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Post by _Maksutov »

Sanctorian wrote:http://m.ksl.com/index/story/sid/33282357

Lafferty sees himself as the prophet Elijah with responsibility to prepare the world for the second coming. He has few followers, but he says the Stracks were, at least for a time, believers.

KSL has been very careful not to call this family Mormon, but if they aren't Mormon, why would they believe the lafferty's after reading under the banner of heaven? Seems to me this family had all the signs the book talks about. Personal revelation from God instructing them to kill themselves? An interesting twist to the tragedy. I'm sure dateline will run with it at some point.

There seems to be a Mormon breeding program of guys who up and decide they're the One Mighty and Strong or Emmanuel or Elijah or Al-Ma from Kolob. I can't keep up with them. It's like who's the newest psychic medium or something. They all have stories and visions and books that the world just doesn't understand because of its wickedness. Yeah, it's usually a joke, but not this time.
"God" is the original deus ex machina. --Maksutov
_harmony
_Emeritus

Post by _harmony »

Why were they allowed to talk on the phone for "hours"?

Is that standard prison procedure?
(Nevo, Jan 23) And the Melchizedek Priesthood may not have been restored until the summer of 1830, several months after the organization of the Church.
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Post by _Maksutov »

harmony wrote:Why were they allowed to talk on the phone for "hours"?

I'm looking in my hat and I see a lawsuit coming from the family against the Utah Prison. :surprised:
"God" is the original deus ex machina. --Maksutov
_suniluni2
_Emeritus

Post by _suniluni2 »

Maksutov wrote:
harmony wrote:Why were they allowed to talk on the phone for "hours"?

I'm looking in my hat and I see a lawsuit coming from the family against the Utah Prison. :surprised:

For what?
_Polygamy-Porter
_Emeritus

Post by _Polygamy-Porter »

More blood on the hands of the leaders at LDS Inc.
New name: Boaz
The most viewed "ignored" poster in Shady Acres® !